Push starting without clutch

Is it bad for a bike to bump start it without using the clutch? IE. rolling it in nuetral then shifting into first or second gear.

Im wondering because im trying to start a bike with an empty hydraulic clutch and dont have fluid for it yet.

So far Ive tried it 4 or 5 times going at least 5 mph with no luck...could i have damaged anything in the bike?

That's not good for the transmission gears. If you must do it, switch into 2nd not first (more torque on the engine). Remember when you pop it in gear, you have to weight the rear tire to get good grip and help turn the motor. Do you have another bike you can borrow a clutch cable from, as a temporary thing to get the first one running?

Yeah, that can do more harm than good. If anything, put it in 2nd, and try to start it in gear.

how about the kick starter, is that not working for you?

Why not push it in 2nd or 1st with the clutch pulled in, then just dump it like a car?

Why not push it in 2nd or 1st with the clutch pulled in, then just dump it like a car?

his original post Im wondering because im trying to start a bike with an empty hydraulic clutch and dont have fluid for it yet.

:smirk:

OP, just drop automatic tranny fluid or any baby oil in the clutch reservoir bleed it and you will be good, i think that pretty simple, why people are always trying to fu.. around with stuff, ho i'm missing the piston circlips is it safe to close the engine i really want to race this weekend :smirk:

If you have a kickstarter, start it in neutral. Then push the bike as fast as you can and pop it in 2nd (while running).

Agree with second gear for bump starting. Maybe you can find a friend, neighbor or sibling to help push you to make it easier.

Is this some special fluid that is hard to obtain or something?

You know, I'll have to agree with kouack. Why not fix the issue instead of engineering a new way of causing problems with your tranny? How hard is it to fix the original problem? Then ask yourself, how hard is it to fix your tranny and your original problem?

Yea, i would hold off on trying anything dumb. Fix the bike, then ride it.