Sign in to follow this  

Wheelie help....Debi?

Hey All,

Decided to have a mellow day on the trail today...it was beautiful out I saw a blue heron and a big snapper. After about 20 minutes of mellow I decided to practice my wheelies. I went to dirt bike school a few weeks back and got the hang of it on the TR125. I have practiced some and am getting better but today on the WR250 I was only getting the front tire up about 6 inches or less! Not sure why I am having trouble. Maybe just not enough throttle or letting out the clutch too slowly...IDK. I need a MANTRA beside damnit Maureen DO IT! LOL now but I was getting a bit pissy with myself. When I say to myself...look where you want to go...I always end up there but not sure what I should be saying to myself for these wheelies. Hit the gas, dump the clutch??? Any thoughts and encouragement would be appreciated.

Maureen

Well you are off to a good start :smirk:

The best way is to practice small low wheelies as you will get a feel of how the bike comes up and you can get a feel of how the bike moves under you while on one wheel. Then just try coming up a little hiher each time :lol: But remember to cover your rear brake as if you feel as if your going over you can use the rear brake to help control the height besides your throttle if that makes any since :lol:

For me I use my clutch to help bring it up and then use my throttle to control how fast the front comes up. I don't sit on the back of the seat like a lot of other people I know that can wheelie for like EVA as I am still learning this and hitting the balance point still scares me :smirk:

Once you get the hang of it you will be able to get your front wheel over obstacles in your way :lol:

Here's a pic from my view

5-13%252520ride.JPG

Here's the vid and you can hear how I do it if that helps :lol: it's at about the 6 or 7 min mark :prof:

http://www.vimeo.com/11895776

I must be tired... when I read about using the rear brake, I thought "what's wrong with using the front brake?" Ha ha ha ha, I need some sleep!

Maureen, don't feel bad, I am still a wheelie virgin. Well, a Husaberg FE501 came up about 3 inches off the ground with me on it, but that was because the bike weighed 200 pounds and probably had as many horsepower! I have yet to wheelie anything for real.

Well you are off to a good start :ride:

Here's a pic from my view

5-13%252520ride.JPG

Here's the vid and you can hear how I do it if that helps :lol: it's at about the 6 or 7 min mark :lol:

http://www.vimeo.com/11895776

Thanks Debi,

Fun video...Wish I was riding again today....work really interferes with life..lol.

Maureen

I must be tired... when I read about using the rear brake, I thought "what's wrong with using the front brake?" Ha ha ha ha, I need some sleep!

Maureen, don't feel bad, I am still a wheelie virgin. Well, a Husaberg FE501 came up about 3 inches off the ground with me on it, but that was because the bike weighed 200 pounds and probably had as many horsepower! I have yet to wheelie anything for real.

HaHa Fortunately I haven't been too hard on myself....Dirt biking certainly is humbling! Keep your foot over the back brake...I seem to have that down. Thinking about it last night (pathetic that these are my last thought before falling asleep!) I realize I may be hitting the foot brake too soon like maybe as soon as the clutch is out...LOL....well tommorrow is another day.

Good Post! I have also being trying to get comfortable with the wheelie... and having some trouble. It seem so easy to get the wheel in the air when I don't mean to, but much harder when I mean to! My rear suspension is really mushy (leaking rear shock), but I don't see why I can't get the front up! I feel like I'm poping the clutch full trottle and leaning back and my damn wheel still stays on the ground!

Thanks Debi,

Fun video...Wish I was riding again today....work really interferes with life..lol.

Maureen

Thanks... but you see and kinda hear how I gas and clutch it up ?

How did you like my local Moto shop/bar :ride:

Good Post! I have also being trying to get comfortable with the wheelie... and having some trouble. It seem so easy to get the wheel in the air when I don't mean to, but much harder when I mean to! My rear suspension is really mushy (leaking rear shock), but I don't see why I can't get the front up! I feel like I'm poping the clutch full trottle and leaning back and my damn wheel still stays on the ground!

No need to go full throttle. It's in the clutch release while powering :lol:

No need to go full throttle. It's in the clutch release while powering

Should I be trying this in first from a stop or from a mellow speed? What would be easier to learn? Also, do you feel like you are pulling up the front, or that it kinda pops up on it's own? Thank you Mrs. Wheelie Master :ride:

Should I be trying this in first from a stop or from a mellow speed? What would be easier to learn? Also, do you feel like you are pulling up the front, or that it kinda pops up on it's own? Thank you Mrs. Wheelie Master :ride:

I do it from a slow speed usually in 1st and when I have it where I want it I will upshift (no clutch just burp throttle) and try to carry it. But I can do them while in third without much effort now as my DRZ has a lot of torque now from the stroker crank we put in it :lol:

Here's a vid with some slow mo of me wheeling onto the freeway after a GSXR decided to turn in front of me :lol: all I did was twist the throttle and feather the clutch real quick while in 3rd but I had to be careful as I was still turning :lol:

http://www.vimeo.com/22919514

The trick is to do small ones first to get the feel of the bike coming up. You can control how fast it comes up once you get a feel and some practice. I still can't do them like some of the guys I know that can go on for ever my best is 1st to fourth gear maybe about a 1/4 to half mile. I'm still learning as well :lol:

When I get one of my bikes running here I will try and get some video aimed at my bars so you can see what I am doing :p

The DRZ should be back up by this coming week as I need a Degree wheel so I can out the topend back together ;)

You guys are one step ahead of me. I wheelied once accidentally. Can't remember how I did it but it was a kick in the butt and I'd like to do it again. So thanks for the advice here.

We have a nice little hump in one of our trails that is begging for one of us to grab air on.

That's my challenge for the summer. Unfortunately, I'm gonna be 58 this summer and I keep having these nightmare of broken hips and arms that keeps reminding me that I'm not a kid anymore even if I am in my second childhood. LOL.

You guys are one step ahead of me. I wheelied once accidentally. Can't remember how I did it but it was a kick in the butt and I'd like to do it again. So thanks for the advice here.

We have a nice little hump in one of our trails that is begging for one of us to grab air on.

That's my challenge for the summer. Unfortunately, I'm gonna be 58 this summer and I keep having these nightmare of broken hips and arms that keeps reminding me that I'm not a kid anymore even if I am in my second childhood. LOL.

Oh the age thingy is all in your head :ride: Doing Wheelies is easier than jumping IMO.. but that being said that little hump at the begging your thinking about ... go for it... Just remember when going up it "DO NOT" let off the throttle as it will put the bike into a Endo and those are not fun. Just hit it slow and when your going up it give the throttle a blip and it will help preload the suspension and well make you go UP hehe Oh and be standing not sitting as sitting can cause the bike to try and buck you off :lol: Seat bouncing is a skill I am trying to learn :lol: well that and the whole jumping thingy :lol:

Hey that's me too. I've done it twice both times completely on accident. Haha. I've been getting a few inches off the grounf on a little baby jump my hubby made for me. I want to learn how =)

Hey that's me too. I've done it twice both times completely on accident. Haha. I've been getting a few inches off the grounf on a little baby jump my hubby made for me. I want to learn how =)

Best jumps to learn on are Tabletops as you don't have that gap in the middle to scare the poop out of ya :ride:

Come out to PGP on the 11th and have some fun learning some jumping on the SuperMoto course :lol:

here's the track with the jumps.... this was my first ever SM race and first time in this dirt :lol:

http://www.vimeo.com/12936354

Best jumps to learn on are Tabletops as you don't have that gap in the middle to scare the poop out of ya :ride:

Come out to PGP on the 11th and have some fun learning some jumping on the SuperMoto course :lol:

here's the track with the jumps.... this was my first ever SM race and first time in this dirt :lol:

Very good Debra:thumbsup: Looks like a ton of fun.

For some reason the link doesn't work on my phone :lol: can my lil bike be out there? I conviently have atable top and some lil jumps @ grandparents house thanks to my hubby but PGP sounds fun =)

Very good Debra:thumbsup: Looks like a ton of fun.

TY.. I have gotten faster since then and now run slicks :lol:

For some reason the link doesn't work on my phone :lol: can my lil bike be out there? I conviently have atable top and some lil jumps @ grandparents house thanks to my hubby but PGP sounds fun =)

Of course it can.... :lol: The 11th is the race and they have a class for you and your bike :ride:

Just be careful as this is very very addicting :lol:

Just be careful as this is very very addicting :lol:

THAT'S what I'm afraid of!:ride::lol:

There is great info here. Thanks everyone for pitching in with their experiences and advice. I need to sit down, read the entire thread before this weekend when we hope to hit the trails again.

That 'hump' in the trail is calling to me!

Yes it can... they are starting up a KNOBBY class this Saturday :ride:

I also have a hard time with the wheelies, but for me I think its a mental block. I always get them up good but I have a hard time maintaining them because I get scared and I just put them back down...Debi, what kind of camera are you using in your video? Looks like good quality

I also have a hard time with the wheelies, but for me I think its a mental block. I always get them up good but I have a hard time maintaining them because I get scared and I just put them back down...Debi, what kind of camera are you using in your video? Looks like good quality

It's the GoPro HD :thumbsup: