USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Seems like these bikes get stolen a lot. What are some good ways to avoid this?

Does locking the forks really help?

My mechanic said I should buy an actual lock but I dunno whihc is best.

Any theft deterant suggestions?

I have a friend who keeps his WR 450 in his lounge room. I keep mine in a room in a shed with a tiny entrance (only goes in on a certain angle). Big lock on the Door. Padlock through the disc. A windsurfer and surfboard stacked in front of the door. Also have my custom machined nunchucks hidden nearby. And a Rottweiler in the yard. :smirk:. They could probably still steal it. But they will have to make a fair amount of noise.

You could concrete a solid piece of round bar in the floor with a hole big enough for one of those bolt cuTter resistant chains and lock.

remove gas tank, seat, handle bars, plastics and wheels everytime your done ridng for the day...lol

Pretty much.

The ignition lock is ridiculously easy to break. Locks are really nothing more than a deterrent. People steal locked up sportbikes with ease. A bike that is 150lbs lighter just makes it that much easier.

Comprehensive insurance is a must.

oh i forgot to mention take the key-chain and valve stem covers too

Here's what I use...

Good chain and lock:

32a.jpg

Good disc lock:

32b.jpg

and finally, a good insurance policy. If they want it, they'll get it. Insurance will at least ease the pain financially if the unthinkable happens.

Some folks go all out with GPS tracking and all that. But, personally, if someone steals my ride, I don't want it back. Who knows what unspeakable acts they've done to it.

WGW

Can I see some pics of these on the bike?

Also, I forgot to say I have a garage at home so I guess I am more worried about parking it on the street when I am out and about around town. Especially the seedier parts of SF were the good bars and clubs are.

Do bikes mostly get stolen from homes or around town?

http://www.bikeanchor.com/store/en-us/dept_1.html

These chains are good. They would have to use a grinder to cut it off.

But that's exactly what's done with any bike nowadays. A DeWalt grinder with a cutoff wheel cuts through any cable or chain waaaay faster than a bolt cutter. Noise doesn't matter because you're gone before anyone can get out of the house or call a cop.

IMO, disk locks are much more effective in making a bike unrideable than a chain, but that doesn't stop two people from picking it up and tossing it into a pickup bed.

Can I see some pics of these on the bike?

Also, I forgot to say I have a garage at home so I guess I am more worried about parking it on the street when I am out and about around town. Especially the seedier parts of SF were the good bars and clubs are.

Do bikes mostly get stolen from homes or around town?

i would say most get stolen from home while sleeping

i would say most get stolen from home while sleeping

That's a good way to get shot.

I put a disk lock on both front and rear, handle bars locked and full coverage insurance. At home its locked in the shed with all of that on it also. So far so good. But if they really wanted it they could still get it. I just want to make it as hard as possible for them.

Comprehensive insurance. I actually wouldn't mind my bike stolen. I got it cheap, market rate is higher than I paid. I'll take a check and buy a newer DRZ. :smirk:

Long time ago I read an article about an owner who had his bike stolen. To discourage a possible future loss of the replacement hog, he moved the throttle tube to the left side and swapped the clutch and front brake.

Complete success- even he couldn’t ride it.

But that's exactly what's done with any bike nowadays. A DeWalt grinder with a cutoff wheel cuts through any cable or chain waaaay faster than a bolt cutter. Noise doesn't matter because you're gone before anyone can get out of the house or call a cop.

IMO, disk locks are much more effective in making a bike unrideable than a chain, but that doesn't stop two people from picking it up and tossing it into a pickup bed.

I know if I heard a grinder going at 3 in the morning at my house I would be out there before they were halfway through.

i recently bought a alarm cable lock. it has 10 feet of cable that you can loop through your ramp and gear and bike. if its cut or tampered with it emits a 120db alarm and flashing lights. i also use a heavy duty lock on the bike itself. nothing is fool proof but anything helps.

I just picked up comp on my SM for $20/year for $250 deductible. Best anti theft protection.

On my Buell I have a Kawasaki motorcycle cover that protects the bike and acts as a anti-theft devise, cuz who would want to steal a kawi? Haha

• Like 1