Cleaning plastics.(I've searched).

Alright then, I have searched, and asked guys at the dealer and parts counter and tried the following...Wd-40 works but dulls the shine, contact cleaner works but attacks the plastic, leaving a white residue, simple green didn't work, S-100 didn't work, soap and hot water didn't work, Mr. Clean magic eraser works but dulls the shine...bad! I can kinda get the shine back by using Plexus, New bike in a can didn't bring the shine back at all. So, here I am, having spent lots of money and time trying to get the black marks, left by the black leather from my pants, off my green plastics without dulling the shine. I think that these plastics are screwed now and will never be shiny again. Do I have to put black plastics on this bike to remedy this sitch? Help needed...

Jay.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi bud, i use gumption on the white bits, they come up insane!!! i mean like brand new white....but they will still be scratched, just no dirt in the sctatches so they look mint.

for the rest of the plastics i use dishwashing liquid, or a really good carwash, actually i wash the whole bike using either wash liquids.

to shine her up i use car interior cleaner, just careful what you use on the seat, i found out the hard way, lol.

A friend turned me on to this product, it seems weird but it really works. It's an erasure for dirt. It's like a sponge but it really gets the dirt off my side plates and side of my seat, the stuff that gets ground in by boots and pant legs. It's even lifted off marks where my boot was dragged across my back fender because I'm too short to get my leg over it clean every time. There are several companies selling it, they all call it Erase It, or Erasure For Dirt, or something like that with the word Erase in the name. This shit really works, it will amaze you. Just get it wet and lightly scrub. It will probably be in the kitchen or cleaning department.

I haven't tried dishsoap yet, but I do use Simoniz car wash. The Simoniz cleans the dirt, but not the black marks left by my pants...I'll try to find some gumption, but I've never heard of it. Thanks for the reply.

Jay.

A friend turned me on to this product, it seems weird but it really works. It's an erasure for dirt. It's like a sponge but it really gets the dirt off my side plates and side of my seat, the stuff that gets ground in by boots and pant legs. It's even lifted off marks where my boot was dragged across my back fender because I'm too short to get my leg over it clean every time. There are several companies selling it, they all call it Erase It, or Erasure For Dirt, or something like that with the word Erase in the name. This shit really works, it will amaze you. Just get it wet and lightly scrub. It will probably be in the kitchen or cleaning department.

Yup, Mr Clean magic eraser. Works great but dulls the plastic to the point where I would rather just leave the black marks on them...

and ur right wd-40 definitely kills the shine once its wiped off, I spray some PAM on there it brings the shine right back and lets the dirt wash off nice.

Awesome! It sounds as though you use this technique. I will give it a go 'cause the WD cleans them up real nice...Thanks. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Jay.

ya i used goo b gone and it worked, but Im sure magic eraser will definitely do the same trick but probably dull the plastics.

I was coating the bike with WD-40 before all my rides, in hope that the bike would come cleaner easier. It works, kinda, but it also made my brand new plastics dull. I read about a lot of folks using PAM and it worked great too so i tried it.

I use generic non-flavored vegetable oil spray from walmart its like 1.77 a can so its also wayyy cheaper than WD-40. I spray it on everything. You dont need to use a whole lot on the top sides of the plastics, I just spray it on, and then wipe off the excess and it leaves the plastics shiny as new and puts a nice coating on there to keep dirt from staining.

I have this problem on plastics and on the seat of a TTR. It is not a gripper seat so it is that stock material on the seat. Just dont wanna use something that will melt it. Same suggestions as plastics above or is there something more advised for the seat? My Goo Gone foray just did not cut into this, even after letting it set a long time and keeping it moist.

Try Turtle Wax ICE. Wipe on everything after your bike is clean. Seems to do a good job bringing back the shine, not to mention the little bit of wax residue left seems to help the next time you go to wash your bike. I still do the Pam spray under the fenders before a mud ride though.

Yup, Mr Clean magic eraser. Works great but dulls the plastic to the point where I would rather just leave the black marks on them...

I haven't tried the Mr Clean eraser but the Erase It brand that I use doesn't dull the plastic. I use it on white side covers and a yellow rear fender, so maybe the light color plastics don't show the dulling effect? The Erase It works so good that maybe you should pick some up and see if it's different from Mr Clean, if nothing else works out for you.

Wash with dish soap, Dawn works the best, then use spray on furniture polish. I use stuff from the .99 cent store. You can spray it on the plastics and just about everything else, except the seat, grips and anywhere else you don't want to be slick:bonk:.