Sign in to follow this  

New to me 426...

Hello everyone..:prof:

Finally picked up a bike for myself after about two months of looking.. definitely isn't in perfect shape but for the price I couldn't pass it up. 2001 YZ426F from the original owner. He went over backwards trying to wheelie it on pavement a few days after he bought it and never fixed the rear fender.. but everything else is in reasonably good shape considering. Ordered a new rear sprocket and will probably order all new plastics in a month or so, but for now I'm trying to get used to how heavy this thing is. The last bike I had was probably 8 years ago.. CR125, and a CR80 before that. So, this thing is a beast to say the least.

Anyways, figured I'd say hello and post a picture or two. It isn't a pretty as a lot of them on here, but for < $1,000, what can ya expect :smirk:

Top end is 100% original which is surprising to me. Only change to engine ever has been clutch plates. I feel at the very least I should change the timing chain and check valve clearances, but it starts so easily I'm not sure there are any clearance issues. Any other recommendations for me to do? Unbelievably it starts first or second kick every time. I was very worried about that part of owning one of these after all of the horror stories but so far, so good.

Now I just need to start lifting weights so I can handle this thing :smirk:. In other news, anyone around the middle of NC have any good places to ride and/or want to meet up?

Pictures:

iPhone%252520018.JPG

iPhone%252520013.JPG

I own a 2001 WR426 and I had a 1999 YZ400F before that bike. The early generation Yamaha engines are damn good, rock solid and high performance for their day. I would check the valve clearances, it is not difficult and it might save you alot of money in the future. Dont rely on the fact that it is easy to start as a green light on the valve clearances.

If the bike needs a rear sprocket, it probably needs a chain and countershaft sprocket also. I order them in sets from Rocky Mountain MC. A worn out chain will wear out that sprocket faster than a new one.

It sounds to me that you may have found a good deal. Be careful, that bike is a big step up in weight and power from a 125 2t.

I own a 2001 WR426 and I had a 1999 YZ400F before that bike. The early generation Yamaha engines are damn good, rock solid and high performance for their day. I would check the valve clearances, it is not difficult and it might save you alot of money in the future. Dont rely on the fact that it is easy to start as a green light on the valve clearances.

If the bike needs a rear sprocket, it probably needs a chain and countershaft sprocket also. I order them in sets from Rocky Mountain MC. A worn out chain will wear out that sprocket faster than a new one.

It sounds to me that you may have found a good deal.

Thanks.. seller threw in a new o-ring chain with the deal and a rear sprocket just got delivered to my place.. so after work today I'll put those two on and hope for the best. $20 steel sprockets are a huge change from what I used to have to pay for them back before the internet was common. Hopefully the front is okay. I should have ordered a new one anyways but didn't even think about it. so maybe I'll do that today.

Good idea on the valve clearances. I'll take a look at those tonight just to be sure. I'm probably going to order an auto decompression cam anyways soon so I'll have to check them then anyways.

that bike is a big step up in weight and power from a 125 2t.

Indeed.. Yesterday was first time I've ridden really since I sold the 125.. I rode for less than an hour at pretty slow speeds and my hands are blistered and muscles are sore that I didn't know I had :ride:. The weight difference is going to take some getting used to for sure..

Question:

Anyone have a preference on UFO vs Acerbis plastics? Price is basically the same and I can find good and bad on both.. so not really sure which I should order.

Thoughts?

Question:

Anyone have a preference on UFO vs Acerbis plastics? Price is basically the same and I can find good and bad on both.. so not really sure which I should order.

Thoughts?

Both are good, I prefer UFO to Acerbis and UFO is usually cheaper. My favorite plastic brand though would have to be Polisport, usually the best price and the quality is very good.

That is a nice 426, good luck with it. They are rock solid bikes, a little on the heavy side, but a blast to ride. I would check the valve clearances to be safe but I would be willing to bet they are still within spec.

That bike has a solid engine, the valves probably won't even be out of spec. The clutch plates are the only things I've ever seen fail on that bike. Getting the suspension revalved will make a big difference in how the bike handles, It won't feel so heavy. Also, if you have the money, I've heard great things about putting an aftermarket carb on it.

I just realized it already has UFO plastics on it.. so I'll probably go with those, thanks!

In other news, I believe I may have a blown head gasket, :ride:

Gah. Not sure yet.. but coolant is coming out fast when it's under load and the coolant looks dirty. Hopefully I caught it early enough that just a gasket will fix it, but gah.

Guess this is a good a time as any to put that hotcam in there

Put new wheel bearings in last night.. feels a lot better just rolling it around. It used to have a "looseness" to it, especially when you hit the front brake.. but that is gone now. It's as tight as it should be and feels a lot more solid. Who knows if it'll be noticeable while actually riding, but the old bearings were fried so it needed it anyways.

Now once I get this blown head gasket fixed I'll be able to do some riding.. lol, always somethin.

Head gasket fixed. One seal needs replacing that I didn't order then it'll be ready to ride.