Sign in to follow this  

cargo racks pmb and or others

anyone have any input on a rear rack

I know they "gay up" the lines of the bike

but I am wanting to venture further and would like to carry

some tools - spare tube - extra gas - etc

here is the only one I found for klx450http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24_79/products_id/412

orhttp://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/promoto/racks_kaw.htm#KAWASAKI_Motorcycle

I have the Pro Moto Rack and I absolutely love it. It has very good build quality and I think that it looks pretty good on the bike. I posted some pics in the show me you bike sticky a few days ago if you want to see it installed. I would recommend it.

I was tired of carrying the extra weight of tools in my backpack, on long rides into the back-country. I seriously considered a PMB rack, but the high price, and the way it kind of messes up the nice lines of the bike, had me looking for alternatives, too.

This was my solution...

Tire-lever/axle-combo-wrenches tucked and bolted behind the left side panel ...

Tools01.jpg

Pelican 1040 micro-case on the rear fender. I through-bolted it in place with stainless hardware, and locknuts, and fabbed up some strips of 1/8 inch thick alloy underneath, to help stiffen things up and better support the added weight...

Tools02.jpg

Tools03.jpg

Tools04.jpg

Tools05.jpg

May23rd450R.jpg

love your tire levers - exactly the same homemade specials as mine - cool

a few minutes with a grinder and your good to go

left a small hump at the end of mine to stop it slipping off rim

kind of copied a store bought lever

I am wondering if the PMB rack will clear my FMF Q4 pipe - it is higher than stock

Thanks - makes ordering a little easier

I have come to realize that most aftermarket stuff needs a little tweaking

nice to not have to...

especially at $185.

That is an awesome idea, well executed with the box.

Thanks.

left a small hump at the end of mine to stop it slipping off rim

Yep...Mine have the little bumps on the tips, too. Great for leaving a minimum amount of the tool under the rim, so as to reduce the likelyhood of pinching the tube.

:ride:

I didn't like any of the aftermarket racks, so I made my own. I used 1/2" OD tubing, and used the rack on my KLX250s as a template.

Post1.jpg

Post3.jpg

I'm using a KX450f rear fender along with my dual-sport kit. I noticed that the rear fender was really floppy with the taillight and license plate bolted to it, so I made the rack to bolt through the fender and taillight to hold it in place.

Pic27.jpg

The front legs of the rack use the seat mounting bolts. The right rear leg bolts to the exhaust mount, while the left rear leg bolts to the upper rear fender mounting bolt. The rear legs unbolt from the rack so it can be mounted and unmounted quickly (to get the side panels off, for example).

Here it is all powder coated and mounted up.

Pic31.jpg

Pic32.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks! You know, when I was building it, my buddy told me I should build 10 more and throw them on fleabay, but I didn't listen. :ride: I'd build some more, but I just don't have the time right now. Hit me up in the fall.

With the tubing, bolts, and powder-coating, I got $68 and about 8 hours into it. It weighs just 3lbs. too. I use an MSR Roost Pak bag and zip-tied it to the rack. It's just big enough to put all my tools in without getting in the way. The main reason I built the rack though was to provide some grab handles.

The main reason I built the rack though was to provide some grab handles.

I hear that!

How much Mike? That rack is tight. Interested in making another?

Watch out! Remeber the chain slap debacle? :ride:

So if I had a demand for a product do you think TT would agree to carry and market it? Clearly there are niche items we all want and are either making or settling for less. Back to the point TT is great to give us this forum, but they are a business and I see why it would bug them.

So if I had a demand for a product do you think TT would agree to carry and market it? Clearly there are niche items we all want and are either making or settling for less. Back to the point TT is great to give us this forum, but they are a business and I see why it would bug them.

Contact Bryan & ask him.

I also thought that the factory built racks were expensive and I made my own rack from 6mm Aluminum scraps from a buddy's work shop. It took a few hours of careful measurements, but I think it came out great. So now I can carry extra fuel on long rides or a power-saw