Sign in to follow this  

Washington Memorial Day Green Dot ride w/pics

I posted this last night but when I checked on the post it was gone. So lets try again.

Jay and I met up and staged from the Colockum Pass road on Monday, Memorial Day. Jay had been riding the area last week and said that the snows were disappearing on the Colockum Pass road quickly. Last week the snows prevented him from getting through but he felt we should try to loop through the drift areas cause he felt they might be passable by now. It turned out that he was right. Our planned route was to hit the power line road first and head on down Brewton road.

We had only been on the Power Line road for a short time when we started seeing Elk. This was a sign of things to come cause we saw Elk all day long.

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-001-L.jpg

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-009-L.jpg

From the Power Line road we turned onto the Brewton which was quite scenic this time of year. Flowers were thick and so were the pleasant perfumes they filled moist air of this overcast day. Thunderstorms were predicted all day long. We didn't see any lightning or hear thunder but we rode right into a rain storm the further North we got.

Here is Jay riding down a section of the Brewton:

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-012-L.jpg

Our plan was to ride down the Tarpiscan to get a first hand look at the flood damage to a bridge which has closed the Tarpiscan until further notice. As we approached the bridge the State had posted a sign on a tree explaining the reason for the road closure.

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-022-L.jpg

They had gone through a lot of effort to make sure we could not cross the bridge on our bikes:

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-021-L.jpg

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-028-L.jpg

The bridge seemed very stable and could handle a great deal of weight. I understand the safety concerns but it would have been nice if they had left enough room for motorcycles to cross. I walked out onto the bridge and took a few pictures of the now diminished stream that flows under it.

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-032-L.jpg

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-029-L.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the damage caused by the stream when it hit flood levels:

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-019-L.jpg

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-017-L.jpg

As you can see it washed the soil out from under the concrete footing. It did not wash it out all the way across the concrete footing. Oh yeah, I should add that this is a new bridge put in last year I believe. Before they put in the bridge the stream flowed through a huge pipe that the road passed over. The pipe never washed away in all the years we drove through here. At least now they have put in something they can maintain every year.

We turned around and headed back up the Brewton till we hit the T on the Power Line road. Instead of turning onto the Power Line road we went straight on the T heading Northwest. This is when we rode into the rain storm. This road ends at the Colockum Pass road. We headed South on the Colockum Pass road and sure enough we hit snow. The first major drift was deep but the 4X4s had made it through. We got into the 4X4 ruts and worked our way up the drift. It would not of been all that bad except that it was up hill. By next week that drift will be gone and it was the worst of what we found. Here is a few pictures of the easy stuff:

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-034-L.jpg

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-037-L.jpg

On the way back to the staging area we spotted a Mule Deer along the Colockum Road. After we loaded our bikes and were riding down the Colockum road we spotted a couple more. A fawn and then the mother:

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-041-L.jpg

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-042-L.jpg

Colockum-Ride-5-30-2011-046-L.jpg

We didn't do all that many miles on this ride (37 miles). We stopped and talked several times for long periods of time. It was a very pleasant ride. Hope you enjoy the animals, we did. :smirk:

Edited by Old_Man_Time

Nice...heading over in a few weeks.

That bridge looks like it took... maybe 15 seconds to get around / over the obstacles?

Nice...heading over in a few weeks.

That bridge looks like it took... maybe 15 seconds to get around / over the obstacles?

We did not ride around the obstacles. First off you can't ride around the rock blockade at the damaged end of the bridge. You would have to go over them and that would take several guys help. But then it would be really bad for us riders if anyone got caught doing it. Not worth it in my opinion.

We did not ride around the obstacles. First off you can't ride around the rock blockade at the damaged end of the bridge. You would have to go over them and that would take several guys help. But then it would be really bad for us riders if anyone got caught doing it. Not worth it in my opinion.

So a loop staging out of Parke Rd down to West Bar and up Brushy then Tarpiscan and up to powerlines is out?

So a loop staging out of Parke Rd down to West Bar and up Brushy then Tarpiscan and up to powerlines is out?

Yes that particular loop is out for now but the rest of what you said is still quite possible.

If you staged at Parke Creek road and took Brushy to the West Bar and then Brewton to the Power lines and then back to the Parke is a good loop. And that would be a decent days riding. If you wanted to do more simply go down to the Whiskey Dick after the power lines and back to Parke. There would be a bit of back tracking from Whiskey Dick to Parke but hey that would be over a 100 mile day :ride:

Edited by Old_Man_Time

I am pretty sure Jay and I will be riding these roads again on Saturday (tomorrow). The weather is supposed to be perfect, maybe hit 75 or 80 degrees in the lower elevations.