Just got my first pig!!!

Just picked this up for 1300$. 1996 Xr600. Couple after market parts like shift lever, handle bars, head light. Also has a Kawasaki exhaust pretty loud but i like it. Only thing I dont like is how hard it is to start, but im sure ill get the hang. This is my second bike my first was a 1983 xr200, bought that when i was 14, now im 16 and what a hell of an upgrade.

259036_10150196503361448_572816447_7260208_5476211_o.jpg

cool you'll love it. does it have the auto decompressor on it? if so starting is not so hard. Key (switch) on full choke, no throttle, short kick(dont let kicker up all the way) untill you find TDC,(kicker will stop) let it up all the way, kick slow down about 1/3 the way, let kicker up and get a good bite on a full stroke kick and give her a good firm kick through. If its cold in morn you may want to leave key (switch) off, full choke and just kick it with full kicks 6 or 8 times, no need to kill your self just kick easy, your just getting a little fuel in there.

No it doesnt have the auto decomp, so far i just decomp the motor kick it 5 or 6 times to let the carb fill, then get it to tdc and give it a kick with no throttle and it starts right up. Still alot more work than my 200 which was one kick and it started right up, but still I love the amount of power this thing has well worth it.

Might check again as my 94 has the auto decompressor, it is connected to the kick starter. You can hear it hiss as you move the piston around to TDC. I found if I roll the throttle once then no throttle with choke she will start in 2 or 3 kicks. Learning how far to move the piston is key. Also, wear boots not your nikes.

OK just got done riding today. Got the starting routine down. Is it just mine or do these things get HOT? Im missing the heat shield on mine but still its freaking hot.

OK just got done riding today. Got the starting routine down. Is it just mine or do these things get HOT? Im missing the heat shield on mine but still its freaking hot.

Bargain for 1300. Yes they get hot,,even hotter in bogs/sand and really slow going like any air cooled bike. Do yourself a favour and change the oil,,make sure you do it correctly and also check the flow to the head once it's done..No telling what sort of maintainer the previous owner was..Oils a biggie on XRs..Change it every 1500-2000k,,fllter,,dunno,,say every 5000k.

Edited by Horri

Ok, how do i check the flow to the head? Also how much do they take?