Sign in to follow this  

Pressure suit ? Too hot ? Better protection or just convenient ?

I have to replace some of my gear and am considering going to a pressure suit.

I've heard comments that they are hot, really hot in the summer.

I like the idea of the convenience, easy on/off with your protection, but if they bake you in summer heat, I'll just pass and go to conventional (old school) chest protector and elbow guards etc..

I've looked at the current Fox offering and the top of the line Acerbis but neither look like they would hold up well. The Fox is lined with mesh, which might breathe a little better, but no way it'll hold up to a full summer and fall of riding in the woods.

The Acerbis looks a little better constructed, but damn, it runs nearly $300.

I don't mind paying for good gear, but I don't see dropping $300 on the Acerbis (or equal) and having it come apart with regular use.

How do the pressure suits hold up over time given the occasional fall or getting hammered by tree limbs in the thick stuff ?

Are there any better options, or a different brand/model I should consider ?

In the Texas heat, it's going to be soaked in sweat, and with me riding it's going to hit the ground more than once. No doubt it will be covered in mud and dust regularly.

I don't have a price in mind, but I can't see dropping $300 for something that will trash out in just a couple of rides.

What do you use, and if you had to buy again what would you buy ?

How do you clean these after a ride ?

TIA

Tree limbs are terrible on them. The forearms in paticular.

They are hotter than a roost protector. If you worry about looks and wear them under a jersey they're terrible. Go shirtless under them and it's maybe as cool as a jersey/roost guard combo.

Look at Rockgardens unit and Acerbis Koerta(no mesh). Parts Unlimited had some closeouts on the Acerbis Koerta. I almost ordered one.

I'm in TX also and was about to buy one, but so many of the reviews I read were saying how hot these things are. Jury is still out though as I sometimes consider taking the heat over the time it takes to get all my armor on and off.

They are hotter than a roost protector. If you worry about looks and wear them under a jersey they're terrible. Go shirtless under them and it's maybe as cool as a jersey/roost guard combo.

I wear it shirtless. just the pressure suit, and a jersey over top for looks... just the pressure suit looks very weird lol, but I suppose you could ride with just it on for extra cooling!!! its not unbearable or anything though with the jersey. keep in mind we only get temperatures of +30c which is hot enough for me!!!!!!

I remember a while ago I believe I seen a thread posted here where there was a pressure suit with like 50 feet of hose running through it and cold water circulated through it keeping you cool at the same time, it was like $500+ though!!

CaveMike fan of pressure suit for function, but it very hot. It no look cool under jersey. Make CaveMike look like Quasimoto. CaveMike nearderthal, no hunchback. Worst part for hot is kidney belt. Nice for have, keep gut in, but make much sweaty. Also arms get caught trees. Rip holes. Cost moeny. CaveMike have dilemma. Him have 661 pressure suit, like for protected very much, but no good over 85 degrees. Him have find something new for warm time. Keep tt posted.

I bought a A-Stars awhile back and when i did wear it in the summer i went shirtless, and slapped on some gold bond in the blue bottle...way cheaper then the circulating water idea, an old football trick, and it cools you down considerably lol. But I didn't like wearing it because it restricts so much motion for general riding, i could see a freestyler wearing it to learn new tricks, but other then that i didn't like it. Honestly I would rather wear a cast for 8 weeks then that thing while riding for a day. Just my opinion on them

I have been using the AXO Air Cage Pro since February of 2010 and love it. It is comfortable to wear all day and air flows through it pretty good while moving due to the mesh construction. If you stop moving you do get hot quick so I just unzip it to allow some more air in when I stop for a break. I do not wear a jersey over it. I wear a Starter brand, moisture wicking, compression, long sleeve shirt under it which I helps IMO/IME. I also have a new short sleeve undershirt designed for body armor (ie; bullet proof vest) that has vent channels built into it that I plan on trying out here soon to see if it is better. Anyways, I'm a wimp when it comes to heat and I'm good in the AXO even during the summer months here in AZ.

As for the durability, anyone who has ridden with me knows I tend to go down pretty good sometimes and I do it quite often! The armor shows wear where rocks and stuff have impacted the armor but nothing has failed. It shows some wear on the sleeves but I bet it will be good for at least another year. I highly recommend the AXO.

I've been wearing the A-Stars bionic jacket for 2 seasons and I'm over it...

I gave it a chance, I really wanted to like it because I do appreciate the extra protection but I just don't like the feel, the heat, the look, the pain in the ass to get on or off quickly, and it doesn't work well with a neck brace (although they have a new model now that does)...Maybe I'm biased because I've worn chest protectors for over 25 years, but I don't think so because I really wanted this to work out, but I just feel the under the jersey stuff isn't the way to go, and I think most experienced trail riders would agree...

As soon as Zac Speed comes out with a chest protector/hydropack combo that is neck brace compatible that's what I'll switch to...(supposedly sometime mid summer)

I am on my third year wearing a pressure suit. It can be hot if you wear a jersey over the top. When it get over 70 degrees I just wear and underarmor t-shirt than the pressure suit over that and I am comfortable up to 90 degrees. Hell riding when it's that hot is less fun anyway. I won't ride with out one ever again it's a great piece of protection, your elbows will thank you.

I have to replace some of my gear and am considering going to a pressure suit.

Are there any better options, or a different brand/model I should consider? TIA

I bought the best Pressure Suit I could find, I thought it was a good balance between protection and comfort. The more padding it has the hotter it will be, so you look for compromise. Mine didn't have padding in the place I needed it though, and I broke my ribs with the elbow armor. I landed on my arm and the hard plastic elbow cup caught me in the side where there is no padding at all.

I had a week in the hospital to consider what to do differently, all my friends stopped by with their pressure suits and chest protectors, and we looked at everything else online. There are some other kinds of protection now, vests that are designed for the crash, so you have wrap around padding made with new materials. There is a company in Texas called motoXvest that you should look at. I have one now and if I had it last month I wouldn't have missed my whole vacation in Moab.

Here's a link to a piece I wrote for the Gear & Apparel forum on Chest Protectors, Pressure Suits, and Impact Vests. It's what I learned the hard way:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984783

I've been wearing an Acerbis pressure suit back in the day when i was riding Enduros. Personally i never got used to it, it was really hot and uncomfortable wearing it. The protection that it offers is really unique, it feels like you're wearing a knights armor and it's really difficult to get hurt even if you try. If you ride extreme enduro the pressure suit is for you.

I've been wearing the A-Stars bionic jacket for 2 seasons and I'm over it...

I gave it a chance, I really wanted to like it because I do appreciate the extra protection but I just don't like the feel, the heat, the look, the pain in the ass to get on or off quickly, and it doesn't work well with a neck brace (although they have a new model now that does)...Maybe I'm biased because I've worn chest protectors for over 25 years, but I don't think so because I really wanted this to work out, but I just feel the under the jersey stuff isn't the way to go, and I think most experienced trail riders would agree...

As soon as Zac Speed comes out with a chest protector/hydropack combo that is neck brace compatible that's what I'll switch to...(supposedly sometime mid summer)

Yeah I'm Guessing it's not a fluke man, I gave it every chance to impress me, never did...

I use a thor one, love it, holds up extremely well. Best part about these suits is that the elbow and forearm protection STAY IN PLACE and do not twist upside down or go up to far on your arm or too low. They stay right in place.

Much better than external roost protection, comes with a kidney belt, and finally they vent very very well. I've been using mine for two seasons now.

...and I think most experienced trail riders would agree...

I disagree with that statement. I know quite a few B and A level guys here in AZ wear pressure suits of some kind. In general, it is probably around a 50/50 mix overall from what I have seen.

I weart this pressure suit and I have been extremely happy with it. It's a little warm in the summer here but with an UnderArmor heat shirt underneath it is not that bad at all. Plus show me another pressure suit that meets the European CE ratings for impact protection other than the Acerbis Koerta or the Dianese pressure suits. Fox, 661, AXO, RockGarden, etc., none of them meet this impact standard.

http://www.highvelocitygear.com/juggernaut.htm

There is also an extensive review of this pressure suit at this link:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=877306

3rd season w/ a Rockgarden. Mesh has held up well, kind of a robo-cop look but I can't see that when I'm riding anyway. Shirtless in the heat works for me. They could have made the elbow pads a bit smaller tho (thats my only bitch about em ).

When this one wears out , I will get another pressure suit, not sure what brand though.

I disagree with that statement. I know quite a few B and A level guys here in AZ wear pressure suits of some kind. In general, it is probably around a 50/50 mix overall from what I have seen.

Yeah, I knew I'd get hit with that statement...But seriously? 50/50? In AZ?

In the summer even? Out here in the SoCal deserts, you'll maybe see 1 or 2 guys out of ten wearing under jersey stuff...And I'm talking experienced trail riding, not racing...I can definitely see the benefit of them when racing (although most of those guys are just wearing under jersey roost deflectors and maybe a neck brace, not full on ballistic jackets)...I'm not saying they suck, I have been wearing it for two years now even though I still have my old Thor chest protector that only needs a screw for me to use it...But for all day high temp riding it's just not the right way to go...Plus I hate that I have a neck brace I never wear because it doesn't fit well with the jacket (I'll feel like such a moron if I injure my neck while a neck brace is in my gear bag)...

I have a couple friends that bought the Zac Speed protector, and I've seen it's usefulness first hand...See, on a normal ride I have on an under armor heat gear shirt, then the protection jacket, then a jersey, then a hydropack backpack and these guys have on a jersey and a chest protector (hydropack built in)...When we stop for a break, they've got everything off literally within seconds and are cooling off having a drink, while I'm taking off my backpack, then my jersey, then my protection jacket, and pretty much by the time I'm down to my sweaty UA jersey they're suited back up and ready to go, lol...Then I'm like, "Hang on, I've got to get all this stuff back on"...I ride quite a bit (normally at least once a week) and I've grown very tired of it...So I'm going back to a chestie, and have decided the Zac Speed is the best option (since 75% of my rides require hydration, and emergency supplies) but I want to put my neck brace to use, so I'll wait a few months until they have one that's compatible with it (I believe Brian will have one to test soon)...

I ride a lot of populated areas, tracks, dunes, rocky areas, wooded areas, a little of everything, with very experienced riders, and I'm exposed to just about every kind of rider you could think of, and what I've noticed over the years is that most of the time the best, most experienced guys are on close to stock bikes and wearing over the jersey chest protectors...And there's a reason for that...Comfort + convenience + decent protection = higher satisfaction than good protection alone...

One of my riding buds just bought a Juggernaut. His first race with it is next weekend.

His nephew has been running a Fox unit.

I like the idea of the testing and all that, but, honestly, I can't see a whole lot of difference from one to the next.

Almost all of them are mesh, with attached elbow, shoulder, chest and back pads of one sort or another.

Can someone explain why some cost < $100, and some way more ?