Pressure suit ? Too hot ? Better protection or just convenient ?

Yeah, I knew I'd get hit with that statement...But seriously? 50/50? In AZ?

In the summer even? Out here in the SoCal deserts, you'll maybe see 1 or 2 guys out of ten wearing under jersey stuff...And I'm talking experienced trail riding, not racing...I can definitely see the benefit of them when racing (although most of those guys are just wearing under jersey roost deflectors and maybe a neck brace, not full on ballistic jackets)...I'm not saying they suck, I have been wearing it for two years now even though I still have my old Thor chest protector that only needs a screw for me to use it...But for all day high temp riding it's just not the right way to go...Plus I hate that I have a neck brace I never wear because it doesn't fit well with the jacket (I'll feel like such a moron if I injure my neck while a neck brace is in my gear bag)...

I have a couple friends that bought the Zac Speed protector, and I've seen it's usefulness first hand...See, on a normal ride I have on an under armor heat gear shirt, then the protection jacket, then a jersey, then a hydropack backpack and these guys have on a jersey and a chest protector (hydropack built in)...When we stop for a break, they've got everything off literally within seconds and are cooling off having a drink, while I'm taking off my backpack, then my jersey, then my protection jacket, and pretty much by the time I'm down to my sweaty UA jersey they're suited back up and ready to go, lol...Then I'm like, "Hang on, I've got to get all this stuff back on"...I ride quite a bit (normally at least once a week) and I've grown very tired of it...So I'm going back to a chestie, and have decided the Zac Speed is the best option (since 75% of my rides require hydration, and emergency supplies) but I want to put my neck brace to use, so I'll wait a few months until they have one that's compatible with it (I believe Brian will have one to test soon)...

I ride a lot of populated areas, tracks, dunes, rocky areas, wooded areas, a little of everything, with very experienced riders, and I'm exposed to just about every kind of rider you could think of, and what I've noticed over the years is that most of the time the best, most experienced guys are on close to stock bikes and wearing over the jersey chest protectors...And there's a reason for that...Comfort + convenience + decent protection = higher satisfaction than good protection alone...

Yeah, it is pretty even mix from what I have seen. There are three guys I ride with regularly and two of them wear pressure suits with jerseys over them even during the summer months. I think wearing the jerseys is crazy but, if they can handle it, so be it! However, I do ride all day rides with mine even when temps are in the 100's. I just take it easier and drink lots of fluids.

A lot of the riders here will start rides in the summer months as early as 5:30am to beat the heat and be done by 11am. Others will drive farther to higher elevations where things are cooler. However, they still wear their pressure suits and other protective gear as most of the guys I know ride hard or really technical (ie; potentially dangerous) terrain.

I'm wearing the EVS G5 and have no regrets. Yes, in 90+ degree heat it does get hot with a jersey but it's not unbearable. I just zip it on, pull my jersey over it, and ride. It's help up great even after the crashes and no issues being whipped by branches. I've never ridden with a chest protector (I'm a noob) but I'm willing to bet there's a lot more freedom of movement and at some point I want to try one to compare.

Those pressure suits are really only meant to ward off scrapes and abrasions, not really for hard impacts. The shoulder cuffs are a joke and don't really disperse the load over a wide area. The spine portions are the only worthwhile part of those suits.

Those pressure suits are really only meant to ward off scrapes and abrasions, not really for hard impacts. The shoulder cuffs are a joke and don't really disperse the load over a wide area. The spine portions are the only worthwhile part of those suits.

I disagree...The cheap ones maybe, but I'd say the A-Stars suit protects slightly better than a chest protector...If I were tumbling down a rocky cliff that's what I'd rather have on...But I don't tumble down many cliffs, I don't do back flips, and I'd prefer to keep cool and comfortable, so I'm going back to a chest protector (which has protected me just fine for the most part)...

So Dirty, what's your summer gear of choice then for trail, track, or mtb?

What's my choice? A chest protector (Thor Sentinal) because it can take a hit. I've raced downhill for many years and have owned multiple 'pressure' suits and have been around people who have owned them, crashed on them, etc...... and all they do is instill a false sense of protection from impacts. Obviously better than nothing, but comparing those to a good chest protector? Well there isn't any comparison. I don't wear anything on a mtb anymore except sometimes a set of knees.

What they are good for is sliding. That's where they were originally designed - for street racing.

My wife is also a GP who specialized in anatomy and one thing she always told me is that the shoulder and chest padding on those will not disperse hard impacts very well. I've seen enough separated shoulders with pressure suits to make me want to wear one again.

But I'll tell ya what, let's have a test where we wear our protection of choice and take turns swinging a bat at each others' chests and we'll see the results.

But I'll tell ya what, let's have a test where we wear our protection of choice and take turns swinging a bat at each others' chests and we'll see the results.

CaveMike up for test. Very excited.

Ummm, no thanks. :ride: But if both guys in that contest were wearing blindfolds, I think I'd choose the pressure suit...

I can see where a blow from a rock or a flailing bike coming down like an karate chop to the top of the shoulder would be better deflected by a chest protector, or if a rock, bike (or bat, lol) hits you squarely in the chest...Which by the way, one of the reasons I got the suit I did was because it was one of the ones that had a solid front breastplate with the zipper to the side, I think the separated down the middle ones defeat the purpose (if a bike lands on you, your sternum is toast with those)...But, I tend to go down on my forearms, then roll to the lateral part of my shoulder, which isn't really protected by a chestie, where the pressure suit is well padded and plastic covered (and actually has a gell pad between the plastic and padding), and it would seem that the suit protects my spine, kidneys, and ribs a little better...Whatever though, I'm sure it's all pretty similar, one might be better for one crash, the other might be better for another crash, so that's why I say just get what's comfortable, and one of the reasons why I'll go back to a chest protector here very soon...

I wiped out a bunch on mountain bike and couple out times without it because it was "hot" that day. And when you do fall on some nasty brush stumps and pointy rocks with your back, you regret not wearing it that time. It a bit hot but at least your are not missing some skin and not bruised up for a week after. I'm sure it wont help much when you fly into the tree at full speed...

I have used the Skeletools Impact vest for several years. It protects ribs , spine and shoulders. For the money ( About $135 ) it is hard to beat. I have gone down hard and never been hurt.I used to get bruised ribs alot. I am 64 but still ride hard. Recovering from injuries at my age takes too long so I try to avoid injury with max safety gear.