Sign in to follow this  

2-Stroke Oil Thread

So, why should I pick one 2-stroke oil over another? I've been using Maxima Super-M and it seems to work just fine.

Sorry for starting an oil thread, it's just that I've finally gotten another 2-stroke after about 10 years.

I used to run Klotz because that stuff smells outstanding, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

There is a GREAT discussion on this in the tech section, wait... It's in the Yamaha 2t section... Nope? Hmmm Try the ktm2t section they know pretty much everything. Do not go near the Honda, kawi, or Suzuki 2t sections, a bunch of dinosaurs selling snake oil. Avoid the pro section at all costs there is some "mad pseudo-scientists" on there who's "full time job" is building crazy engines, and full-time passion is confusing the crap out of the rest of us. Hope this helps!

PS. If it works and you can afford it why screw with it?

i use IPONE Samourai full syn, dont know if its better than any others but its expensive as hell and smells like strawberries.

pres_Accessoires-Huile-moteur-Ipone-SAMOURAI-RACING---1-LITRE---DOSEUR-1.jpg

I've totally used Stihl chainsaw oil before. No problems.

I usually use Belray H1R (I think) or Morris, but have been known to cheap out and run Valvoline universal 2-stroke oil (for chainsaws, outboards, scooters, bikes, whatever).

Use whatever works for you. Any of the name brand synthetic 2t oils are great. I use amsoil interceptor or dominator normally, but will run anything in a pinch.

10 people, 10 opinions.. Just find a good brand 2T oil that is readily available in your area. I use OPTI-2 which is available at lawn care places..

So, why should I pick one 2-stroke oil over another? I've been using Maxima Super-M and it seems to work just fine.

Sorry for starting an oil thread, it's just that I've finally gotten another 2-stroke after about 10 years.

I used to run Klotz because that stuff smells outstanding, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Klotzlube.com

Oil is oil. There is a lot of marketing hype used to separate you from your cash. I've raced at a pretty high level and pretty much used it all over the years. I've found that even the cheapest injector compatible stuff on the shelf does the job as long as you use enough of it. Right now I'm using Lucas semi-synthetic 2-stroke oil from my local O'reilly auto parts store. It's very inexpensive at $5.99 a quart, easy to get even on Sundays and it burns clean. It's a thin injector compatible oil so I mix it at 24:1 for my race bikes. Trail riders would have no problems with it at 32:1.

Lucas is also the title sponsor of the US National Pro Outdoor MX series so I feel good about supporting a company that supports my favorite sport.

45DCBDC291759FB0A652EA231C543AE6.gif

Oil is oil. There is a lot of marketing hype used to separate you from your cash. I've raced at a pretty high level and pretty much used it all over the years. I've found that even the cheapest injector compatible stuff on the shelf does the job as long as you use enough of it. Right now I'm using Lucas semi-synthetic 2-stroke oil from my local O'reilly auto parts store. It's very inexpensive at $5.99 a quart, easy to get even on Sundays and it burns clean. It's a thin injector compatible oil so I mix it at 24:1 for my race bikes. Trail riders would have no problems with it at 32:1.

Lucas is also the title sponsor of the US National Pro Outdoor MX series so I feel good about supporting a company that supports my favorite sport.

45DCBDC291759FB0A652EA231C543AE6.gif

Camp how close to standard were you able to jet using semi synth at 24:1.(since most of our bikes were spec'd from the mfg for use with either 20:1 or 32:1) I've been kicking around the idea of finally trying the stock 20:1 oil ratio, with stock jetting recommendation per manual, crazy idea huh.

Camp how close to standard were you able to jet using semi synth at 24:1.(since most of our bikes were spec'd from the mfg for use with either 20:1 or 32:1) I've been kicking around the idea of finally trying the stock 20:1 oil ratio, with stock jetting recommendation per manual, crazy idea huh.

Both my two strokes are leaned out slightly from the stock jetting but they were a bit rich from the factory. Unless you are jetted for a super high ratio of 50:1, or higher, and leaned out to the edge, your current jetting won't be greatly affected by going down to 20:1. Even then, you are only talking about 3% reduction in fuel and that's not much leaner, especially when it's 90 degrees outside. If your current jetting is already too rich, dropping to 20:1 should make your bike run better.

Really, pick what you like best and run it. Oil is Oil, and it all has to meet certain standards to be marketable.

i use IPONE Samourai full syn, dont know if its better than any others but its expensive as hell and smells like strawberries.

pres_Accessoires-Huile-moteur-Ipone-SAMOURAI-RACING---1-LITRE---DOSEUR-1.jpg

where do you get it?