Sign in to follow this  

Since the TPS seems to be a big problem on the '11

........I made a little cover for it. Had a little scrap aluminum laying around the house and used a pair of snips and the edge of the workbench to make the bends. Worked out pretty good, made it then painted it and put it on. Hopefully this will prevent the dreaded boot-caught-on-TPS problem alot of people seem to be having with the '11. Love the bike so far, just installed the hour meter right after break in and the first ride. Already more comfortable and faster than I was on my old RM250 2 stroke. Anyway, here is a pic of the guard.

a07448f7.jpg

:ride:

I too was faster coming froma 250 smoker to a 250f and that was my 07 250f haha. Love my 11, like you i'll be making a bracket to cover it. I think i'm going to weld a little tab to that motor mount thats in your picture, and make a little aluminum bracket to screw in to the tab.

Very cool! I would like to fabricate something myself for the same reason. As an aside, has anyone used a SSB (Simon Smart Body) on a KX250F? It may have the TPS out of harms way. Not a reason to get it, but it does make quite a nice difference, even claims of increased power across the range of rpms. Might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone?

Very cool! I would like to fabricate something myself for the same reason. As an aside, has anyone used a SSB (Simon Smart Body) on a KX250F? It may have the TPS out of harms way. Not a reason to get it, but it does make quite a nice difference, even claims of increased power across the range of rpms. Might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone?

Never even heard of it. More info?

Here is what I made. Aluminum plate machined, formed, painted and bolted to the top motor mount tab on the frame. I was hesitant to use the same mounting hole as the TPS as this still leaves it vulnerable.

SUNP0015-1.jpg

Here is what I made. Aluminum plate machined, formed, painted and bolted to the top motor mount tab on the frame. I was hesitant to use the same mounting hole as the TPS as this still leaves it vulnerable.

SUNP0015-1.jpg

Deffinitely dig the bracket you made, but how do you get to the cold start/idle adjust? its hidden enough already without the bracket?

Deffinitely dig the bracket you made, but how do you get to the cold start/idle adjust? its hidden enough already without the bracket?

Thanks. Actually, it's not any harder to get to the choke than it was w/out the guard. I paid close attention to being able to reach it.

Thanks. Actually, it's not any harder to get to the choke than it was w/out the guard. I paid close attention to being able to reach it.

Care to fab another one and save me some time? haha. Will paypal ya for one! You may be onto something here.

I just checked these out. If you get a SSB you will have to do a review on it. I am very curious about it.

http://www.simonsmartbody.com/

This is a replacement throttle body that has gone through about 3 design iterations and it is now a thin plate that rotates out of the throttle bore perpendicular to the flow. The goal from the beginning has been to get rid of the butterfly valve because it messes up the flow and it even when fully open it obstructs the flow in a negative way. He started with a design that borrows the slide from a keihin-type carburetor. Then he improved that, and finally he has gone to the thin plate that rotates. And you can install it yourself now...used to have to send it in. All the sensors and the injector transfer over, and the only issue that you have to deal with as far as calibration is the TPS, but he now includes a voltage source and meter to get your TPS perfect. He gives values for all bikes and even FCR carbs to get the TPS in the best possible range. And you don't have to change your stock mapping if you do not wish to. It is a good product at $699, probably worth more than a full exhaust as far as gains and quality of power is concerned. Everyone who has tried these loves them... I am thinking of getting one for the '11 250KXF when I can save up the $. Anyobody who has tried one, please chime in.

That was a good write up and I appreciate. I was able to gather all that info pretty quickly from his site.

I would love to hear more of the real world test if you get one. I have read some stuff from MXA but nothing is as good as totally pure customer review.

Keep in mind some of them are going out due to water damage.The gaurds in the pic wont due much for that......

Keep in mind some of them are going out due to water damage.The gaurds in the pic wont due much for that......

...dielectric grease

better put a patent on it fast!

hes right,then just sell it.

hes right,then just sell it.

HaHa! Maybe I should start taking orders

...dielectric grease

Yea i did that before my bike even saw dirt my still took a dump