Sign in to follow this  

Permanent-Like Black Shiny Stuff on Seat

Trying to tell this so it makes sense:

There is some old black coating on the seat and tank---the seat did not come this way, it has just sort of formed over years of riding and is ground in so well that it appears to be part of the tank and seat. And it is smooth and shiny now as if riding pants have sort of "buffed" it to a sheen.

It is a new-to-me used TTR and it looks like this stuff has been on there forever, in fact it "seems" like it has bonded with the material and is now smooth and shiny, but not a thick layer that I can just scrub off without probably damaging the material. Tried Goo Gone and it did not melt this stuff off so just tossing it out there for ideas.

Edited by GOTTAROOST

Tryed to redefine the issue in above edited post::Hopefully I am not the one who has ever encountered this.

I have no idea. Could it be wear? your butt has worn off all of the surface coloring/dye, and thats the color of the plastic undertneath? does any of the black stuff show up on your riding pants?

can't be skid marks - right?

Carl Johansson

I have no idea. Could it be wear? your butt has worn off all of the surface coloring/dye, and thats the color of the plastic undertneath? does any of the black stuff show up on your riding pants?

can't be skid marks - right?

Carl Johansson

Well...ya know...there WAS that big ass discussion on poop in another thread, but I'm trying to put that behind me.

No, these are not skid marks. I have seen this on older bikes before, it is really like dirt/grease etc has been ground in or something. It is not actually faded, just not pretty due to this.

Ah heck, I guess it is just a dirt bike and the first word is dirt...so I will just be stumped. I may try to attach a pic if I can get one that shows it clearly enuf.

Thanks.

where does your crankcase vent tube end up? could you be putting oily mist into the air under the seat where it clouds up and picks up dust?

Maybe something got on your pants and rubbed onto the seat? Or your pants are falling apart.

Maybe something got on your pants and rubbed onto the seat? Or your pants are falling apart.

Well I'm over 50 so most likely my body is falling apart and ruining the seat. Actually this is how the bike came to me. It may simply be the aging cycle for this type of material for all I know. I just want it to clean up some from what it is especially come resale time. It is fine mechanically, just has this ugly factor.