Sign in to follow this  

Oregon browns camp/diamond mill

headed out for the first time to browns camp on a bike. been there a ton with jeeps. wondering where you guys recommend for the first time out. stick to browns camp, or maybe head down to diamond mill? trails to hit?

headed out for the first time to browns camp on a bike. been there a ton with jeeps. wondering where you guys recommend for the first time out. stick to browns camp, or maybe head down to diamond mill? trails to hit?

definitely keep going past clowns camp. especially on a weekend. Past diamond is jordan creek. Worth the trip. If your just blowing the carbon out with the wife on a weekday, clowns. Beware truck prowlers at rogers camp by the road any day.

All depends on your riding ability. If your green then park Rodgers camp and head down Elliot creek trail ( back side of the gravel pile ) then take a left after the bridge, left at the rode, right onto the power line, left onto chute, left on the fire road, then right on the next fore road, right on island trail, left on road, right on road, right onto black water, right on road, right on gummy worm. then if your feeling frisky go up fire break five, left on ceder creek ( i think?), left on road, left on Elmer's fire trail. right on road. right on Julies trail, right on sidewinder, then left onto military. This will drop you on the back side on clowns camp.

Trails are a bit harder in diamond mill and not very well marked, not a place for the wife and kids but the good thing is the difficulty level keeps the squids and the quad tards away.

Jordan is just not as fun as it used to be in my opinion with Stick in the nose and Duane's trail being gone.

Good advise above. I go that route except I head all the way down Chute and then the road up to Hoodraiser, over Hog'sback, single track and find my way to where Archers picks up and take it out to Endless Bummer and/or Benny Hill. Come back the same way and take Logjam down instead of Hoodraiser, up Chute, etc.

I've parked at Roger's quite a bit and just ride west from there. Never go back toward Brown's. And avoid Fire Break 5 as there are usually a bunch of crawlers up that way.

We have a great parking spot around Lyda with trails going out both sides of it. Good options there too, you can take a ride west, come back to truck, and then ride east. Ends up being about the same route we do from Rogers but the rest and regroup is more of a central location than all the way on the east side.

I agree that D.Mill is not as easy to ride or navigate. But, I love taking the wife and kids there. The area around the staging area is good beginner trail experiance without traffic from larger vehicles but the trails themselves are far more technical for us that want more of a challenge.

All of what you hear about Brown's is very unfortunately...true. I do not know what the heck happened to that place? A decade ago it was a pretty fun place and people were respectable but now its just a bunch of idiots. There are still friendly and good people that go there but the jerk-offs dominate the place now. It's too bad because Brown's camp/Roger Camp have some pretty fun trails, they've built some new trails over the years and I like them.

If you go there, I recommend riding with a friend and stay away from the 4wheeling trucks/Jeeps. Those guys think the place belongs to them and some drive out of control. I do like going to Brown's on the weekdays, its quiet and a lot more relaxing.

Diamond Mill is fun, I like it because even on the weekends its never too packed there. Trails are more difficult and they're single tracks whereas at Brown's you have to share with quads.

Went to Diamond mill Sunday and it seems you can find a retard anywhere. I was coming down one of the roads leading my party. I was riding slow and careful as i was coming down hill, came around a blind corner and there was a Toyota 4 runner parked right in the middle of the road. The guy was in the ditch scrambling to get back inside. I managed not to hit him or his rig parked in the middle of the road. As i passed by i shouted i had 3 more people coming behind me. At this time i was so close to the shoulder of the road that my front tire washed out in the pee gravel and i went sliding into the 3 foot deep ditch. I rolled out of the crash the best i could, popped up and yelled at the guy to not park in the bleeping rode next time and he had the balls to lecture me on how this is a public road and that he has the right to use it just like i do.

As i marched to pull the guy from his rig and pummel him my buddy grabbed me and held me back telling the guy " using the road is one thing but parking in the middle of it on a blind corner is just retarded "

I think my weekend riding days around here are done. time to ride during the week when the morons are not out and about! No injuries, just scrapes and bruises but i am still pissed!

Did you throttle him or buddy stopped you pre-pounding?

Good for you if so :ride: !!!

We almost threw-down there with some staging area heroes riding a 3-wheeler and a couple clapped out sand bikes.

They are everywhere. We just need to convince them that riding/wheeling there isn't fun.

I almost chased down a truck there that nearly put me in a ditch too.

The boy was with me, riding behind of course, and the road was going to nowhere. Where we'd just come from. If it were just me, or me and a buddy... we would have had words (at least).

It gave us a good opportunity to talk about other idiots, staying on our side, and what some options are for those situations... it may hurt but get in the ditch!

Went to Diamond mill Sunday and it seems you can find a retard anywhere. I was coming down one of the roads leading my party. I was riding slow and careful as i was coming down hill, came around a blind corner and there was a Toyota 4 runner parked right in the middle of the road. The guy was in the ditch scrambling to get back inside. I managed not to hit him or his rig parked in the middle of the road. As i passed by i shouted i had 3 more people coming behind me. At this time i was so close to the shoulder of the road that my front tire washed out in the pee gravel and i went sliding into the 3 foot deep ditch. I rolled out of the crash the best i could, popped up and yelled at the guy to not park in the bleeping rode next time and he had the balls to lecture me on how this is a public road and that he has the right to use it just like i do.

As i marched to pull the guy from his rig and pummel him my buddy grabbed me and held me back telling the guy " using the road is one thing but parking in the middle of it on a blind corner is just retarded "

I think my weekend riding days around here are done. time to ride during the week when the morons are not out and about! No injuries, just scrapes and bruises but i am still pissed!

Wow, this at Diamond?.. Very rare and sound a lot more common at Brown's. I am glad you're not injured but I would expect this kind of confrontation at Brown's rather than Diamond Mill.

Two years ago we took a co-worker of mine to Brown's and he was a newbie and just learning the joys of riding. We went up this trail by the shooting pit that was pretty steep, my co-worker was struggling climbing up and there was this red TJ Jeep mobbing down hill into our path. He just laid his bike down and the guy driving the jeep cursed him for being on the trail. I was pretty fired up and wanted to smack the driver. He had no regard for riders and didn't even veer to the side of the trail to allow anyone to get by. What sucks is that this is common at Brown's Camp these days... When I ride there, I only stick to trails where you won't get 4x'ers and quads.

Wow, this at Diamond?.. Very rare and sound a lot more common at Brown's. I am glad you're not injured but I would expect this kind of confrontation at Brown's rather than Diamond Mill.

Yeah even D.Mill has those kinda punks, I dont do the Browns camp thing, i think i went like once and it was during the week so it was so-so. but one time at the Mill i was warming up my bike in the big parking area and my bike has to be in at least 2nd gear for the engine load to warm it up and this oldass grump got super pissed about me riding past his campsite too fast? or something... like 2nd gear is maybe 20-30mph, and the limit is 10 so its like uhhh, alright. But this guy didnt just yell at me screaming :ride:, he also felt the need to jump IN FRONT of me! (this was the 3rd time someone jumped in front of me to yell at me, i really dislike that.) He was in that site right next to the learner loop where the gravel road keeps going, and he was sticking his arms out like he was gonna catch me or something so i would stop. So i slowed down a little, but it was just so when i dropped the clutch i could really get a good roost in:p and i sprayed that dude with gravel pretty bad...

the funny thing was, after we rode for a few hours we came back and he had his truck parked ACROSS the entire road and wrote "slow down" on his window with his finger. So when we got back there was a ranger yelling at him to move his stupid truck outta the damn way.... &%$#@!.

State OHV reps told us 80% of OHV money in Oregon goes to law enforcement. Now you know why

Huh... I've never had anybody jump in front of me and yell at me because I was doing 3 times the posted speed limit.

Wonder why?

If there is enough dust to clearly write on your windows... somebody's probably not following the rules or even being generally considerate of the other staging area users. I'm not saying that you were the only one... but you were one.

I conscientiously try not to kick up dust through staging areas... posted speed limit or not.

Huh... I've never had anybody jump in front of me and yell at me because I was doing 3 times the posted speed limit.

Wonder why?

If there is enough dust to clearly write on your windows... somebody's probably not following the rules or even being generally considerate of the other staging area users. I'm not saying that you were the only one... but you were one.

I conscientiously try not to kick up dust through staging areas... posted speed limit or not.

uuhhhh, doing 25mph in a giant open gravel lot is not a threat to anyone... I could LITERALLY stop on a dime at those speeds.

And give me a break! i wasn't "parking lot racin" or anything, i was just trying to warm up my bike sheesh! It would be one thing if i was doing highchair wheelies in 4th right next to a campsite with a bunch of kids and a cute puppy.. but i wasn't.

All things aside, what gives ANYONE the right to park their truck in the MIDDLE of a road? Or dive into ONCOMING TRAFFIC? That. is. much more dangerous.:ride::lol:

My point is... know matter how much a person "thinks" he has any authority at all, he doesnt. and neither do i! The RIGHT thing would be to talk to them later and just say "hey, try to keep your speed in check. Im a lil concerned for my children because there's so much going on around here its pretty chaotic and i don't want any accidents to occur." or maybe call a real authority to deal with it if it gets real bad.

just food for thought:thumbsup:...... picking a fight with someone in a public place will just emphasize people's opinions that those savage motocrossers just wanna get drunk, pick fights, ruin the forest, cause accidents. bla, bla, bla...

Wonder why?

uuhhhh, doing 25mph in a giant open gravel lot is not a threat to anyone... I could LITERALLY stop on a dime at those speeds.

And give me a break! i wasn't "parking lot racin" or anything, i was just trying to warm up my bike sheesh! It would be one thing if i was doing highchair wheelies in 4th right next to a campsite with a bunch of kids and a cute puppy.. but i wasn't.

All things aside, what gives ANYONE the right to park their truck in the MIDDLE of a road? Or dive into ONCOMING TRAFFIC? That. is. much more dangerous.:ride::lol:

My point is... know matter how much a person "thinks" he has any authority at all, he doesnt. and neither do i! The RIGHT thing would be to talk to them later and just say "hey, try to keep your speed in check. Im a lil concerned for my children because there's so much going on around here its pretty chaotic and i don't want any accidents to occur." or maybe call a real authority to deal with it if it gets real bad.

just food for thought:thumbsup:...... picking a fight with someone in a public place will just emphasize people's opinions that those savage motocrossers just wanna get drunk, pick fights, ruin the forest, cause accidents. bla,bla,bla...

Nobody is attacking you super199 but dude should not have to tell you this, plenty of trails to warm your bike up on.

Don't camp in ORV staging areas if you don't want to see dirtbikes, Duh. Don't pit ride. Go ride the trails. Don't be a DB.

... plenty of trails to warm your bike up on.

Including the one 50ft from where the incident apparently happened. Right down that little downhill at the end of the staging area you can click 2nd and even 3rd running the trail, that is road wide, along the river.

Don't camp in ORV staging areas if you don't want to see dirtbikes, Duh. Don't pit ride. Go ride the trails. Don't be a DB.

I'm sure the "oldass grump" wasn't camped at D.Mill staging area to enjoy the peace and quiet. And, we certainly aren't :ride: .

We camp there because there is a large, relatively large rock free staging area that the brand newbie riders (Read: kids under 8yrs.) can cruise around on within eyesight of where we're camped. The trails right around there, that would sufficiantly warm up a bike, are great for the little guys that are ready to start working on 'trail riding' skills. And, there is a awesome swimmin'hole with a good bridge jump.

We do not expect to have quiet or a completely dust-free enviroment, and I myself have done some high-speed passes through it. At a time when our group are the only people still there and dust isn't an issue. There is a time and place for shenanigans and bending the rules some. Hearing my daughter laugh and yell, "faster daddy" is a memory that I'll never forget. While the staging area is dry and full of other campers isn't that time or place.

My point is... know matter how much a person "thinks" he has any authority at all, he doesnt. and neither do i!

My point is... if this is the third time that this has happened to you... maybe it's not a bunch of oldass grumps that are the douche bags.

It's all of our responsibility to 'police' ourselves as a group. If you're acting like a fool or creating a dangerous enviroment then I will come and talk to you, not looking to pick a fight... looking to educate. I'll even give you a map and point out some good trails. Stupid people get angry fast and want to make it physical, and I won't be caught off-guard.

My point is... if this is the third time that this has happened to you... maybe it's not a bunch of oldass grumps that are the douche bags.

It's all of our responsibility to 'police' ourselves as a group. If you're acting like a fool or creating a dangerous enviroment then I will come and talk to you, not looking to pick a fight... looking to educate. I'll even give you a map and point out some good trails. Stupid people get angry fast and want to make it physical, and I won't be caught off-guard.

Actually, it has been a bunch of old grouches.. And that was the ONE and ONLY time that's happened to me for speeding at an OHV area, its not like i get yelled at everytime i go out, you dont know me and you just "ASS-U-&-ME" that Im some trouble maker! Im not! I do more than my fair share of trail maintenance at D.Mill and Jordan Creek, I have very good trail etiquette and I do try to keep my speed and dustcloud under control:thumbsup:

and just FYI, the other two times Ive been dove in front of and harrassed were on BLM public lands by poachers hunting game offseason, to top it off one time the guy was hammered as hell with a gun in his hand.. I didnt do anything, I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time!

But whatever, yes i was doing 15 over the speed limit... shit, sue me.