Advice

How safe is it to press a stem out of one triple clamp and press it into another?? Can it be done safely??

people do it every time they fit a new bearing

How safe is it to press a stem out of one triple clamp and press it into another?? Can it be done safely??

Be certain you press the stem DOWN to remove it. There is generally some measure taken in the design to prevent the stem moving upward, since that's how the clamp assembly bears its load. Yamaha puts a concealed wire ring on the bottom of the stem that stops against a step in the bore.

Protect the threads from damage as you press.

Thank you

Be certain you press the stem DOWN to remove it. There is generally some measure taken in the design to prevent the stem moving upward, since that's how the clamp assembly bears its load. Yamaha puts a concealed wire ring on the bottom of the stem that stops against a step in the bore.

Protect the threads from damage as you press.

I see your signature is "older YZ's",,,,what I am wanting to do is put modern forks,,well,,,more modern, on my 1985 YZ 490, for modern races. Someone said the front end from a WR 500 would bolt on...???? Any help ?? That is the reason for this post,,,I was going to press my stem into a modern triple clamp,,if possible

I see your signature is "older YZ's"
Read it again.
Read it again.

duhh,,,sorry