Funny Offroad Camping Stories

Since it's that time of year again I thought it would be fun to share some funny, spooky, or just plain crazy camping stories!

I'll start off:

Went out camping with some riding buddies last year in June near Big Lake Oregon. If you haven't been there, you cannot imagine the amount of mosquitos in that area. I made sure to pack plenty of mosquito repellant. So we're just kicking back by the campfire enjoying a cooling refreshing beverage after an afternoon ride. Our last friend to arrive makes his way to the campground, and about this time, (late evening) the mosquitos seemed to come out in full force as well. Of course all of us who got there early had already soaked ourselves down with mosquito repellant. The last guy starts digging around his camping gear looking for his spray. So he comes over to us, and asked if we had any, and that he forgot his at home. We proceeded to tell him that we are outdoorsmen and don't need any of that sissy bug spray, and that we just rubbed ourselves down with pine needles. He says, "seriously, does that really work?" I said, "well, do you see any mosquito bites on us?"

Okay, so he proceeds out to the woods and started grabbing handfulls of fallen pine needles and begins rubbing them all over his face, neck, and arms.

It was near impossible to keep a straight face and not burst out in laughter while witnessing this! He comes back to the camp fire and enjoys a few refreshing beverages and continued to slap mosquitos off of him all evening. I was going to let him in on it and give him some spray, but the multiple trips for more pine needles was just too entertaining and hillarious. :ride: Not to mention, he's gotten me a couple times. The next morning, covered in mosquito bites he comes out for breakfast. He goes over to the bed of my truck where the grill was at and noticed our cans of bug spray sitting there, and couldn't help but to laugh at how gulible he was the previous night!

Edited by mikewrf18

I used to work with a group of DSHS kids...took them campin, let them ride my mini's, etc. One of the kids was a 14yr old that had the worldliness of a 5yr old. We were at Tahuya forest, getting ready for bed at night, and the kid is suddenly terrified of Bears. Won't goto bed. My sarcastic wit jumps in and tells him that if he sees a bear, to pull his pants down and start whackin. The bear will be terrified and leave you alone. The kid says "really?" So, I went with it, and said 'yeah, believe it or not'...the kid went to bed. Nowadays, anyone getting up from the campfire to go do anything...is 'scaring bears'

:ride:

Evil Dad spent the day telling us to watch out for bears. After we went to sleep in the tent, he started tugging on the string he had tied to our metal storage boxes. I was sound asleep, but my buddy actually crapped in his sleeping bag.

We were camping/ riding @ Burning Rock in WV a few months ago. We are all hanging around the fire @ night when we hear 5 gunshots coming from up on the road pointed right in our direction. We all hit the dirt and then there was a sixth gunshot. it was damn hand-cannon too. sounded like a 44 or 357 magnum. we thought sombody pulled up on the road and shot at us. once the coast was clear we got up and checked the trucks, trailers and bikes for bulletholes. luckily nothing got hit. in the morning i walked up on the road and saw six fresh bullet holes in a street sign that we happened to be camping on the other side of. oh wild wonderful WV!!!

we were there last weekend and a pack of coyotes came into our campsite and ate our left over chicken fajitas. they opened our cooler and everything. i thought it was one of my buds getting a midnight snack. once i heard them scarfing i knew it wasnt my buddy. i busted out of my tent in my tighties and i had five coyotes staring @ me. pretty funny

I'm sure chicklenhauler has a few, he told me and his one friend that he was camping with multiple other people and one of them threw in a whole block of firecrackers into the fire, and another one was apparently into model rocketry, so in the middle of the night he fired one off.

I have so many of these...some not fit for a public forum, but this one might help somebody.

We used to go to the imperial sand dunes nearly every weekend when I lived in Socal. One of the things we sometimes used to do as we cruised from campsite to campsite is toss full can of beers(usually bring some cheapo beer brand for just this) into the fire. Usually this just resulted in the can spraying, and not much happening. Once in a while it would burst with a moderate blast, and we'd have to clean up some embers that got blasted out of the pit. Just a punk thing to do, but it was mutual between friends and often times really funny. Once in a great while one will blow up rather strongly and shower the whole camp with burning embers. Not so funny.

Just a warning about alcohol abuse...don't throw beers in the fire :ride:

These stories are hillarious! :lol: It makes me want to get out camping again as soon as possible.

Slackinhard-That's a waste of a perfectly good beer, shame on you, never leave a beer behind! :ride: That definately is alcohol abuse. :lol:

I have so many of these...some not fit for a public forum, but this one might help somebody.

We used to go to the imperial sand dunes nearly every weekend when I lived in Socal. One of the things we sometimes used to do as we cruised from campsite to campsite is toss full can of beers(usually bring some cheapo beer brand for just this) into the fire. Usually this just resulted in the can spraying, and not much happening. Once in a while it would burst with a moderate blast, and we'd have to clean up some embers that got blasted out of the pit. Just a punk thing to do, but it was mutual between friends and often times really funny. Once in a great while one will blow up rather strongly and shower the whole camp with burning embers. Not so funny.

Just a warning about alcohol abuse...don't throw beers in the fire :ride:

a beer can in the fire is pretty anti-climatic. just dont throw any cans of beans in the fire. weve ruined lots of chairs and a handful of tents that way. sometimes they blowup pretty quick , but sometimes they take a while and explode when you least expect it.

I had some buddy's coMe down with the brown bottle flew and didn't want to ride the next day so I went by myself and finally got board and went to get them going. I threw a moRter and a pack of fire crackers in the enclosed trailer they were sleeping in. they woke up real quick and knowbody got hurt physically but one did piss his sleeping bag

A long time ago, as we were slowly waking up after sleeping out on the lake bed at El Mirage, a very wise man cracked open a beer to the sound of a blown big block warming up down by the starting line for the speed trials. "If you're going to drink all day, you've got to start in the morning," he said.