Sign in to follow this  

Extra wide bars for tall rider?

I posted this in the MX Riding Technique section but didn't really get to many responses so I am reposting here.

Hi, I am hoping to get some advice on wide bars for tall riders with long arms.

I am contemplating putting some extra wide bars on my MX bike. I was thinking of going 840mm wide, the reason that I am considering putting wide bars on my bike is because I currently have 800mm wide bars and they just feel to narrow and I find that my hands are always right on the outside edge of the grips (to the point of hanging off the edge) because it just feels more comfortable having my hands wider and it just feel like my bars are too narrow.

I was thinking and if shorter riders with shorter arms and narrower shoulders are comfortable using 800mm wide bars the for someone like myself with wide shoulders and long arms would be better suited with wider bars.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Depends on the person. Most people hack their bars down for better clearance in the trees. Best thing you can do is sit on your bike in an attack or neutral position, close your eyes, and hold your hands in the air about where they are comfortable. Do this again standing, and you'll get a good starting point for what size you need.

I'm 6'-6" and the best bars I've come across are the Renthal RC Highs. They are 802mm wide, 119mm tall and have a minimal 54mm sweep. The only super wide bars I'm aware of are the Renthal vintage bend. They are very tall but they have way too much sweep which makes the transition from sitting to standing more difficult.

Depends on the person. Most people hack their bars down for better clearance in the trees. Best thing you can do is sit on your bike in an attack or neutral position, close your eyes, and hold your hands in the air about where they are comfortable. Do this again standing, and you'll get a good starting point for what size you need.

Whenever I try doing this my hands always end up about 20mm wider than my 800mm bars.

Has anyone tried pres-in bar extensions?

Whenever I try doing this my hands always end up about 20mm wider than my 800mm bars.

Has anyone tried pres-in bar extensions?

Nah, don't use extension.

You need taller bars, not wider bars. Maybe even more far forward too.

DSCN8208.jpg

Make sure your elbows are up. If they are down, then no bar will feel right.

My bars feel tall enough just not wide enough. I have my bars rotated a fraction forward for being inline with the forks. I was told buy a riding coach that rotating them any further forward from will cause the front end to wash due to the angle it puts on your wrist and elbow in turns.

I used to run my bars forward until I was told to rotate them back inline with the fork tubes and instantly noticed a improvement in front end grip on turn in and in mid turn.

I am guessing that no one runs bars wider than 800mm.

Most people than run wide bars over 800mm tend to have wide shoulders like Jean-Claude Van Damne, which at 6'6", I guessing you do. Another thing you could try is bar risers and see if that helps. I'm 6'1", and going from the stockers on my XR to a Renthal Jimmy Button was a huge improvement. My brother has a set of wide Evo bars on his CRF, but he is 5'8", but has really broad shoulders, and he really likes them.

I am not 6.6" I am only a short ass at just under 6.3" but I have very wide shoulders and very long arms for my height. I figure when you ride with your elbows up more horizontal like you are suppose to, a rider with long arms would be better suited to a wider bar because due to the longer arm you need a wider grip that a rider with short arms.

Hope that made sense.