81 xt250-Oil flow to head

Hello, I have a 81 xt250 with a 81 sr250 engine, I love the electric start.

I have the bike running very well now thanks to all the help I found searching TT.

I have read here about restricting the oil to the crank to increase oiling to the cam. PLEASE if any one knows the size of the restriction, share that with me. From what I understand it is just a "roll pin" type of dowel that would fit inside the crank on primary side. ANY more info?

Thanks, Otis0 :ride:

I don't think I'd do anything to restrict crankshaft oil flow. Don't use thick oil like 20W-50, as it doesn't flow well though the small passages. By using a good Synthetic oil you'll have all the protection you need while not redesigning the oil distribution system. I happen to use Mobil1 Racing 4T 10W40 in both my road and dual sports, but there are other good oils. I use the Mobil as it is very good, and very available. NOT car oil. Use something rated JASO MA.

thank you that bulletin was exactly what I had heard about, should be a sticky. Otis0

Hi All, digging this one back up. I am trying to get my wifes xt250 up and going and cam across this but it appears that the link to the bulletin no longer works. Anyone have a good link to this?

You might want to contact OtisO . I believe he has a copy of that bulletin .

Then , if you get a copy , please post it here . Thanks . :)

Here's an illegible copy : I can't make out the complete roll pin part #

9xx09-60020-00

YSB250_zps2bdb622a.jpg

Edited by pd350

Thanks! Yeah that copy isn't very legible. If I get a good copy I can make a searchable PDF and post it up here. It looks like the roll pin part number is 91609-60020-00.

Bumping this old thread as I just got myself an XT250 that needs this modification.

Anyone knows the dimensions of this pin?

Not willing to pay 44$ with shipping as the only one on e-bay is going for now..

Hi

Just curious about the roll pin in the crank. I have been searching for a few days and reading that I should add the pin and others are saying not needed with the use of a thinner synthetic oil. 

I have engine tore down to replace bearing and seals. Ready to close it up. 

Is the roll pin absolutely neccessary with todays oils compared to the early 80s?

This had been a debated thing for a while.  I have not done this procedure to my bike yet, I have all the items needed just haven't done it.  If my motor were all torn apart like yours I would do it.  

I did pick up a 6mm roll pin the other day and waiting for new oil seal for crankcase cover. The roll pin was only 50 cents but looks nothing like what I have seen online and is 1 1/4" long. Not sure if I will use this one. 

I did pick up a 6mm roll pin the other day and waiting for new oil seal for crankcase cover. The roll pin was only 50 cents but looks nothing like what I have seen online and is 1 1/4" long. Not sure if I will use this one. 

I think I picked mine up off eBay awhile back, I'll check the size.