Going dumb in mid-air?

I don't know if it's me, but when I jump, let it be BMX, MX, high places, my sight goes blurry, I become almost stiff (think of it as being the oppisate of a person being "sharp", like I go "dumb") and it goes REALLY quick.

I hear people saying that when they jump MX it feels like forever to come back down, but it's not like this for me.

Has anyone else felt like this?

The jumps I do a lot, are easier and I'm more "with it" when I jump them, like I can whip it, and control the throttle and throw my body around so I can land well.

I also crash very well, never broken anything, but idk if that's relevant.

This is probably pointless, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I get this same feeling when I drop off cliffs on my snowboard. I think the feeling subsides with experience. The more cliffs I do, the more relaxed and aware I become in the air.

I think it just takes practice is all.

I get this same feeling when I drop off cliffs on my snowboard. I think the feeling subsides with experience. The more cliffs I do, the more relaxed and aware I become in the air.

I think it just takes practice is all.

Yeah also I forgot to mention that when I used to wheelie (or try to) it would be so hard because I would do this thing I'm talking about, and it's hard to wheelie when you're scared stiff... Maybe it's fear? And the more practice the less you get scared of doing what ever you're doing?

Is there any psychologists here?

Yes, it's definitely fear. I guess that was implied in my cliff dropping post!

Yes, it's definitely fear. I guess that was implied in my cliff dropping post!

So fearless = focus?

What about skilled yet cautious?

So fearless = focus?

What about skilled yet cautious?

Option 1 is how to get good quickly, option 2 is how to get good and stay in one piece. You decide.

Seriously, the only way to reduce fear, is to repeat success. The more jumps you clear without incident, the less fear you'll have. Building your distances slowly is smart.

Having no fear and no skill or experience is the definition of stupid...

Option 1 is how to get good quickly, option 2 is how to get good and stay in one piece. You decide.

Seriously, the only way to reduce fear, is to repeat success. The more jumps you clear without incident, the less fear you'll have. Building your distances slowly is smart.

Haha thanks, I was just trying to figure out how to overcome the fear from it, and like you said, I guess it's repeating the success, and hope to hell you don't wipeout!

I feel the same way. It feels like I am kind of dazed of for a second. The jumps arent small eaither but it feels like Im only in the air for a little bit at all. Then as I come more relaxed I fell better and it feels like I am in the air for a while, i am more concentrated.

I feel the same way. It feels like I am kind of dazed of for a second. The jumps arent small eaither but it feels like Im only in the air for a little bit at all. Then as I come more relaxed I fell better and it feels like I am in the air for a while, i am more concentrated.

Glad to know I'm not just crazy! It's actually human!

I saw the header for this post and busted a gut. LOL

That's me! Been there, done that!

I saw the header for this post and busted a gut. LOL

That's me! Been there, done that!

Yeah I tried to title it so that it would appeal most to the people that may have a similar problem.

And I guess it's more people then I thought! Welcome to the club? LOL

Jumps are suppose to be relax moments and the more hang-time, the more time you have to relax. Honestly, recently I've been very zen with my jumping and it doesn't bother me to the extent it use to.

My vision doesn't become blurry, but I'm for sure more relaxed then when I take off and when I land and am back on the throttle.

If you're fairly comfortable with jumping, I would try to do some relaxing and focusing mid air.

Remove your hand and pretend to rip a tear-off off, or something similar.

Personally, I am planning my attack on the next section while I'm airborn.

This may help you to focus and relax mid air.

yeah but its a crowd pleaser :ride:

I had an incident with this two weeks ago. I hit a tabletop that I've hit a lot. Probably the second easiest jump for me at the track. I was going for a pass on my buddy so I hit the jump a little more aggressive then I usually do and the next thing I knew my front wheel was pretty high (about 10 o'clock) which normally wouldn't phase me but I just froze....hitting the rear brake didn't even enter my brain...I just froze until my rear wheel hit the ground. I didn't go down but I took it as a crash as I didn't react the way I should have.

Got back to the pits after that session and asked my wife and my buddies g/f if they saw me almost crash. Their response was, "Oh, we thought you were doing a little trick"

Hahaha....at least it didn't look like I was crashing.

I had an incident with this two weeks ago. I hit a tabletop that I've hit a lot. Probably the second easiest jump for me at the track. I was going for a pass on my buddy so I hit the jump a little more aggressive then I usually do and the next thing I knew my front wheel was pretty high (about 10 o'clock) which normally wouldn't phase me but I just froze....hitting the rear brake didn't even enter my brain...I just froze until my rear wheel hit the ground. I didn't go down but I took it as a crash as I didn't react the way I should have.

Got back to the pits after that session and asked my wife and my buddies g/f if they saw me almost crash. Their response was, "Oh, we thought you were doing a little trick"

Hahaha....at least it didn't look like I was crashing.

This happens to me all the time at the track. I dont know what it is. I have been riding long enough at the track that I know what to do but I just dont do it. On a normal practice day I will be front wheel high a couple times and front wheel low a couple of times. I just freeze up though and dont do anything. Then when I land, if i land safely, im thinking what an idiot i am for not hitting the brake or panic reving, or even shifting my body weight.

i think a lot of it has to do with knowing what to do but not having it be reflexive. I found that as i rode lower and further forward with my head past the bars, it was easier for me to adjust the bike in the air with body movement, breaks taps and such. It was when i was upright and being 'pulled' by the bars that i lacked control.

i think a lot of it has to do with knowing what to do but not having it be reflexive. I found that as i rode lower and further forward with my head past the bars, it was easier for me to adjust the bike in the air with body movement, breaks taps and such. It was when i was upright and being 'pulled' by the bars that i lacked control.

Yes. This is exactly how I feel too. I've gotten into trouble a couple of times by being to far back and not being able to control the throttle on landing and nearly looping out because of whiskey throttle or the jolt of the landing causing me to crack it open even more. Big trouble.

Yes. This is exactly how I feel too. I've gotten into trouble a couple of times by being to far back and not being able to control the throttle on landing and nearly looping out because of whiskey throttle or the jolt of the landing causing me to crack it open even more. Big trouble.

+2.

I just came back to smokers from 4 strokers and have been having a bit of a bad habit of doing these kiss of death moves off jumps. And I forget to brake tap it even though I am really trying my best to get over the front fender and push the front end down. My girlfriend thought I was doing a trick and showing off but I was just executing bad form. On one jump yesterday I landed in a wheelie at what felt like 10 o'clock:bonk::ride::bonk: and resisted full on whiskey throttle but was able to just hold off the gas so it was giving it just enough juice to wheelie for about 50 ft. Scared the piss out of me I almost ate dirt but saved it somehow. It really beat the crap out of me and I had to take a break after that.

So I've been focusing on proper form going up the face of the jump so that I keep a nice even keel through the air. I found that the more I focus going off of the face of the jump, the easier it is to correct small mistakes and resist becoming a fumbling idiot in the air.

SOLUTION: Focus on your form going off the face of the jump so you can be more relaxed while flying through the air. Get your approach speed set perfectly before hitting the face of the jump so you don't have to crack the throttle wide open up the face. Get better at corners so you don't need to accelerate as much to get to the face of the jump at the correct speed.

I think you hit the nail on the head for what happened to me. I need to get some pictures of me approaching the jump faces and in mid air to see for certain. I think I'm still a little too far back sometimes when approaching the jump faces.

I'm hitting the track tomorrow so I think I'll work on tapping the rear brake in the air. I have no issue with revving the bike mid air to adjust the pitch of the bike.