Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke vs 4 stroke

i'm at a dillema as to which to buy. i know theres good and bad about both, but i wanna hear why you like which one you like. please dont make this like the rest of the subjects on this matter were everyone is hating on eachother:foul: and people are like "2T better cuz fast".

a good way to find out what one u like better is to find 2 bikes u like ride them both and figure out what one u like the best i like the the 2-stroke cause of the power band

I just got a cr125 to play around on when I don't want to rack up hours on my crf450, and I have a blast on that 125. It was cheap to buy, is cheap to maintain, and if something breaks, it's very cheap in comparison to my 450, and it's just as much fun if you're play riding.

Two stroke: Snappy power, shorter power band, lighter weight

Four stroke: smoother power delivery, much longer power band, heavier

Four strokes are easier to ride.

please dont make this like the rest of the subjects on this matter were everyone is hating on eachother:foul: and people are like "2T better cuz fast".

Well, if you didn't want this to happen you shouldn't have started a thread like this. You should do a search, there are, what feels like, thousands of 2t vs. 4t threads. There will be some real info in there along with those that rant and rave.

Like stated before, your best bet is to ride one of each and see which suits you best. We can tell you why we like everything, but that doesn't mean it will be the right decision for you. :ride:

Truthfully, the big question is, "How deep are your pockets?"

Complete 2T rebuild, $500

4T rebuild, $900 (providing no valve/head work is needed)

Ruin a 2T head, @ $150.00

4T head = @ $1,200

I just got a cr125 to play around on when I don't want to rack up hours on my crf450, and I have a blast on that 125. It was cheap to buy, is cheap to maintain, and if something breaks, it's very cheap in comparison to my 450, and it's just as much fun if you're play riding.
Almost acceptable but tossing in the banter of which is cheaper does not float.
2t better cuz fun
This is considered trolling!
Truthfully, the big question is, "How deep are your pockets?"

Complete 2T rebuild, $500

4T rebuild, $900 (providing no valve/head work is needed)

Ruin a 2T head, @ $150.00

4T head = @ $1,200

Total misconceptions and outright incorrect information and has nothing to do with the OP's thread.

If this thread goes off topic as per the OP's ground rules, it will be closed in a heartbeat. The three posts above are prime exampes of being off topic.

Now for me the rebuild cost and parts plus the pure enjoyment when hitting that power band that keeps me on my kx500.

All I can do is recommend is that if you have a chance to ride both than you can see what suits you.

P.S

Some may disagree on the rebuild cost of the 4t, but that's just my opion

This is considered trolling!

I thought trolling was starting a 2t v. 4t thread?

I thought trolling was starting a 2t v. 4t thread?

No, but what you are doing is. I am serious about this.

Last warning. Stay on topic here.

well thx for all the info, i think i'm gonna be a 2t rider. I got one now and i love the power band and easy repairs. My only struggle is that i do only trail riding. However if i jet it right and do things like wider pegs and hand i gaurds i should be good right?

My only struggle is that i do only trail riding
top trail riders in the world use a smoker.
i love the power band
get a blue one for added bottom end power :ride:

MANY MANY factors. Depends on what type of riding, ability level and what you feel comfortable on. My 19 year old son races mx and 2nd year in the B class and 4th year on big bikes total. 1st 2 years on a big bike in the C class he was on a 2007 yz125. Great C class bike against a WIDE variety of riders. Couple fast guys, handfull of 5-9 place guys and the rest just guys who get in the way. Got some great finishes. Incredible bike, cheap to maintain and he learned how to really PUSH to make it go fast. Moved up to B and this is not a class for a 125, unless you are already one of the fastest guys. B class has FAST guys and FASTER guys. found Good deal on a new yz250f and he can keep pace with the group and not have to kill himself doing it. Parts and maintenance are a little more due to more moving INTERNAL engine parts, but not TOO bad yet. I'm sure a catastrophic failure will be a big $$$. He misses his yz125, but he would have to rider over his ability level to keep pace.

PS.....what is trolling? Never heard that term before.

PS.....what is trolling? Never heard that term before.

just trying to cause trouble and being annoying i think :ride:

I personally love the power curve of the 2-stroke MX bike. I like the lightning fast power delivery and I generally like motors that like to be run hard and at high rpms.

BUT the 4t bikes are just plane old more ridable. Better traction, smooth power delivery and a very broad range of usable power. But that being said I race hare scrambles on either a cr125 or an rm250....just love the two strokes. Way easier to start after dumping the bike when its hot and like 1/3 of the moving parts = not much to fail.