Sign in to follow this  

Eye Glasses and Goggles

My son wears eye glasses and really should be wearing them for racing but he complains that the goggles push against them and hurt the bridge of his nose and push them out of place. He currently wears Spy goggles. Any suggestions on goggles that work well with eye glasses. He is 12 yrs. old and I feel contacts might not be a good idea, with dust and dirt.

I wear contacts out in the sand and have no complaints.

I just think at his age he will rub them at the track and have problems.

Thanks, I will look into them. I wonder if any of the local shops carry them to try on before buying. He also wears a Troy Lee helmet. I want to make sure they fit good with the helmet. I think having his glasses on will help him a lot on the track. His vision is not good, poor kid. I know he struggles in the rut sections picking a line.

I gotta say get contacts....my buddy's 60 year old dad finally switched to contacts after always seeing how they never cause me problems when riding. compared to his glasses. Ive seen people get stuff in their eye and get irritated that dont have contacts just as much as I have, they really dont make any difference. Got contacts when I was 12 and couldnt imagine having to wear glasses riding...

Scott OTG (Over The Glasses). On clearance at RM right now. $22

Bigger, but also more air space, so fogs less. I remove some of the foam to help with air flow.

I gotta say get contacts....my buddy's 60 year old dad finally switched to contacts after always seeing how they never cause me problems when riding. compared to his glasses. Ive seen people get stuff in their eye and get irritated that dont have contacts just as much as I have, they really dont make any difference. Got contacts when I was 12 and couldnt imagine having to wear glasses riding...

What about loosing them. Is there insurance for that when buying. I don't wear them so its hard for me to help make a decission.

scott OTG and cut the foam with a razor so there's plenty of room on the nose

I also cut the foam on the sides so the glasses frames wont push hard into the sides of my head, I slot them, so it holds the frames from bouncing around

If you're not willing to go to contacts, then your options are limited.. There used to be a company making prescription goggles. Pro-Vue or something like that. I use cantacts for all the reasons your son is complaining about.. Contacts are cheap..

Wearing Glasses under goggles works, but it's not terribly safe. Same with contacts. Both can easily damage your eyes in a very simple crash.

Plus, glasses are expensive, bounce around, and wear out too fast.

What do Basketball players wear? Safety Goggles. Will not shatter or lodge in the eye cavity.

What is made like that for the MC community?

PROVUE Prescription Goggles.

menutop.gif

They are like saftey goggles that fit under your goggles, only they are prescription.

http://www.pro-vue.com/

I agree, try the OTG goggles first. They're the cheapest, easiest option and work well. They also have temple cutouts so the temple peices aren't crushed against your head.

I had to start wearing corrective lenses about 5 years ago and tried wearing my regular goggles with them first, so I know how your boy feels. Night and day difference between regular and OTG goggles. I even have room in them to wear my clip on shades. My current pair is Scott. I had Oakley before that. Oakleys were nice, just hard to find replacement lenses for. Everyone has Scott lenses.

The Oakley OTG goggles (L-frame I think) work great, however 2 years ago I switched to contacts and haven't looked back. $30 last 6-8 weeks with my contacts (acuvue oasis), they make them for astigmatism too. I highly suggest the disposable ones, That way if they do fall out (haven't yet tho) they're cheap to replace. After a couple days rubbing wouldn't be a prob, just take them out nightly, I don't care it the box says you can sleep in them, they work better getting cleaned nightly. Another advantage is you don't scratch expensive glasses, I used to work construction (homes and heavy equipment) and dirt, sawdust and nails were constantly scratching $400 glasses, wear contacts and an $8 pair of safety glasses and when the glasses get scratched up, toss em and get a new pair!

my brother wore contacts and he was fine. But i also saw an ad for prescription goggles in a magazine. don't know too much about them.

i tried the Oakley OTG and they just didnt feel right when i had glasses on. i rode in contacts and it really beat the glasses under the goggles. THEN if you want to fork it up....i had lasic done....worth every penny of it! wouldnt have changed my decision one bit.

You could go with pro-vue or the other company that makes prescription goggles(just search prescription goggles on google) they work good BUT...I found if I tried to wear them when racing it was very diffficult to ride with them on the track. Desert and trails, never a problem. Don't know what the difference was, but I eventually went back to contacts and ride much better with them. The only reason I tried the RX goggles was I couldn't see up close with contacts in if I had to work on the bike. Just my 2 cents.

contacts are so cheap theirs no reason to do anything else. I have 2 week contacts that usually last me more like a month or so. I spend maybe 100 bucks a year? usually pick up 50 dollars worth every 6 months. Likely less then you would spend on 2 or 3 pairs of goggles over a year. I have only had my contacts come out once or twice in 10 years of riding, only cuz I didnt have goggles on and got roosted.

Might try the Habervision insert. You can use them in just about any google, put in your own lenses (lencrafters put mine in covered by insurance), and the price is right at $25! I've used Pro-Vue for years, and they make a good product, but they're expensive.

I wish contacts would work for me, but I've got dry eye and heavy astigmatism, bad combination.

http://www.habervision.com/product/OpticalInsert.aspx

HV.jpg

I use the Scott OTG, and the quick-release velcro strap. I invested big bucks in the "insert" prescription lenses, but I can't see when I take the goggles off, because the lenses are attached! The quick strap works great, I can take off when it gets steamy, and put back on in a second.