Sign in to follow this  

MX boots VS. shoes

So yesterday i decided i would go for a quick ride on my own since it was Thursday so i loaded up, Grabbed my gear and put the bike on the back of the SUV didnt stop for gas this time cause i knew i had a full tank and half a J-can so i thought nothing of it untill i got to staging area unloaded and started putting my gear on and realised that i forgot my MX boots 1hr away at home,

F*!K so i said F-it ill go for a few runs with my shoes on ....... so i wonder is it just me who dosent feel as i guess safe or not willing to be as ballsy since i learned with mx boots and know that they have saved my ankle once already so i just wanted to know other peoples opinion about MX boots VS. Shoes

I don't feel comfortable at all with shoes on. I feel Like my ankles are just going to snap in half. Idk. I've always Ridden with boots. That sucks you left them that far away

yeah myt ankles felt the same and my feet curled the pegs so i had to move my foot more to shift .... i didnt feel like i had the extra little bit of control cause i kept worrying about my feet and ankles and took attn away from riding so i didnt go as fast in turns and in tight trails i went real slow like so i wouldnt fall -.-

yeah myt ankles felt the same and my feet curled the pegs so i had to move my foot more to shift .... i didnt feel like i had the extra little bit of control cause i kept worrying about my feet and ankles and took attn away from riding so i didnt go as fast in turns and in tight trails i went real slow like so i wouldnt fall -.-

Geeee, ya think???

Riding with shoes is just begging for a broken ankle.

my ankles feel fine, boots just don't do that much to protect them when push comes to shove, I've seen a couple people fold their foot over while wearing boots.

My boss was wearing riding boots and had the bottom of her foot come all the way around and touch the inside of her leg, took surgery to fix the damage

but the bottom of my feet, and my shins, they value boots

Guy I work with came to work with a nice leg burn. I made this comment," Funny, in all the years I have been riding I have never been burned through my riding boots." Hr always talks about how uncomfortable gear looks.

I make a habit of wearing my boots but iv been known to ride with as little as shorts and sandles Haha which I don't recommend at all. Boots make you safer not invincible!

anything more than a pit bike without boots is crazy IMO. I guess you could play around and do some trail riding, I wouldn't even look at a track. boots are right behind a helmet in my book, followed by a neck brace.

yes i ride a 450 so anything can happen and it has and will and the only reason i rode with my shoes (i wont forget boots again) is cause i had gone all that way and would have been very pissed if i just turned around to travel an hour home again

If you don't need to wear boots you aren't riding hard enough. I can understand just putting around without boots on but that's it. Any bad ass out there that says they don't need boots is either to broke or too ignorant to be on a bike and should stick to parking lot pimping

I don't really sweat it for leisurely trail rides etc... Life is one big risk. Riding a bike is another big risk I take for the sake of fun. A little extra comfort at a little bit extra risk is just a drop in the bucket. Serious riding the risk gets high enough that the boots are going on.

BUT, its scary to start my bike without boots so they are almost always on. I've ripped souls off shoes, put holes in em, left a long bruise trail on my calf, etc... Not to mention that foot peg looks like a rip saw blade waiting on my shin.

For surprise high speed get-offs, boots are a must. I have trouble sometimes keeping the rubber side down. Also for kick starting bikes with a surprise kickback, you can spare yourself some extra bruises.

Oh and here is my favorite post-knee-surgery trick...If my rear end slides out so much that I will be going down, I have had to discipline myself to NOT put my foot down, and instead keep my foot on the peg and take the fall. This is only because when I do it the natural instinct way, I risk getting a torn ACL.

The BOOTS are what keep my feet from getting crushed when I have to do this.