xr400 gas overflow

Hi,

The question is for some of you mechanically inclined.

20023 xr400 sat for a fw years then did not run good and carb leaked gas.

took to local small engine reoair guy. He replaced float and a jet or needle of some sort. The bike runs good now but leaks gas from the overflow hose.

Do i need to replace the carb ? can it be fixed? or replace carb?

or nobody can tell without looking at it.

bike has never been in a crash so i would assume carb has not beed damaged.

Thanks, steve

The float levels were either not set to spec.(14.5mm minimum and 19mm max drops), you have a piece of trash blocking the fuel inlet needle(tap on the side of the carb float bowl with a screwdriver to try to dislodge it) or the slosh baffle has come off and is obstructing the float.

Easy fix, but you need to learn to do it yourself. Download this free shop manual.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ivcn6l

My 99 XR400 leaks just a few drops from the overflow hose when I am riding it on bumpy terrain,,Or just riding hard.:ride:.I always thought it was normal(few drops),,But my bike runs great and starts on first or second kick almost always.:lol:

The bike runs good now but leaks gas from the overflow hose.

Not being mechanically inclined, I guess I should have asked you what you consider "a leak". Are you seeing a drop or 2 on the ground after it sets overnight or is it constantly pissing fuel?

The float levels were either not set to spec.(14.5mm minimum and 19mm max drops), you have a piece of trash blocking the fuel inlet needle(tap on the side of the carb float bowl with a screwdriver to try to dislodge it) or the slosh baffle has come off and is obstructing the float.

Easy fix, but you need to learn to do it yourself. Download this free shop manual.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ivcn6l

What he said.

My XR400 started leaking like crazy during a ride. After tapping on the float bowl for a while and draining out the fuel in the float bowl a few times it was as good as new.

This problem is not that uncommon.