Sign in to follow this  

97 xr400

I'm picking up a 97 xr400 here saturday. the PO said it's all stock except for skid and passenger pegs put on. I asked if it were jetted and he said no. He said that the xr is reliable but when modded isn't nearly as reliable.

Question- I want to keep this quiet as possible, maybe add a header but keep stock silencer on, Is it worth it? Also should i rejet it?

thanks

you can uncork the silencer, the stock setup is pretty heavy but not too loud

I've never seen an unreliable xr400 even when modded, my 440 was trouble free

may want to get a pumper carb, really wakes the bike up

those stock carbs will gasp for fuel when you crack the throttle, it's annoying at best, dangerous at worse

i'll have to wait for that. just got a mrd for the drz so i'm drained. but thanks for all the help.

I want to keep this quiet as possible, maybe add a header but keep stock silencer on,

It should come with a header already on it. If wanting to swap it for aftermarket, why?

Before you go spending money, You had better educate yourself to the differences between headers, pros, cons, type riding designed for, intake and exhaust requirements to get the most out of them.

What are you going to use this XR for? Blasting thru the desert at hi speed, or trail riding?

As far as I know, there are no aftermarket headers smaller than stock diameter, they're all bigger.

Dropping coin on a bigger header while keeping the rest of the bike(intake/exhaust) stock doesn't make sense, most likely won't run well and will be difficult to jet for.

If you want quiet as possible just keep it stock richen up the jetting a little pull the snorkle, and maybe uni air filter worked for me.

dualsporting and trail riding. already have drz for roads. i want to uncork it for pa woods but be quiet as possible for stealth mode.

may want to get a pumper carb, really wakes the bike up

those stock carbs will gasp for fuel when you crack the throttle, it's annoying at best, dangerous at worse

and greatly exaggerated by many here :lol:

WAY more of us just fine with the stocker than not. :ride:

If you want quiet as possible just keep it stock richen up the jetting a little pull the snorkle, and maybe uni air filter worked for me.

What he said.... :ride:

I'm picking up a 97 xr400 here saturday. the PO said it's all stock except for skid and passenger pegs put on. I asked if it were jetted and he said no. He said that the xr is reliable but when modded isn't nearly as reliable.

Question- I want to keep this quiet as possible, maybe add a header but keep stock silencer on, Is it worth it? Also should i rejet it?

thanks

PO didn't know much about the bike. Uncorking isn't "modifying" anything that would make the bike unreliable.

Just lets it breathe and as a consequence, perform a heck of a lot better. :ride:

Thanks guys. Hopefully this is as stock as it looks and cared for as he makes it sound.

btw do any of you have jobs? :ride:

dualsporting and trail riding. i want to uncork it for pa woods but be quiet as possible for stealth mode.

If you're going to be riding it in the PA. woods, you don't want a bigger header(low end torque loss). The stock stainless steel one will be just fine.

btw do any of you have jobs? :lol:

Actually, no. Retired a year and a half ago. :ride: This :lol: and helping out on TT is my job now.

Sounds good. Less to spend $ on. HAHA i appreciate your help i was not expecting the amount of quality info in such a short time frame.

can the stock jetting be modified to get the most out of a stock setup?

can the stock jetting be modified to get the most out of a stock setup?

Usually, as the factory jetted them pretty lean, the main anyway. The stock pilot, depending on your elevation, could be fine like it is.

Actually, no. Retired a year and a half ago. :lol: This :lol: and helping out on TT is my job now.
WOW! At 51-53? Excellent, I thought I was dumb to do it at 60. Which Lotto did you hit? :ride:

and greatly exaggerated by many here :lol:

WAY more of us just fine with the stocker than not. :ride:

I've owned both, the performance gain is worth every penny, I would NOT own a xr400 without a pumper carb, there's a reason all modern carbed bikes come with them

WOW! At 51-53? Excellent, I thought I was dumb to do it at 60. Which Lotto did you hit? :ride:

The 20 year Firefighter pension lotto.