Sign in to follow this  

Disc brake lock alarm?

What is a good brand of disc brake lock alarms, and how much should I expect to pay. Also im want to start chaining my bike up when it is in my poll barn but im not sure were to run the chain through on the bike. What do you do?

I think you'll find that the "industry leader" in disc alarm locks is Xena. Very solid lock w/ quite a loud alarm...usually $80-100 a piece, depending on who you buy it from.

Read the reviews on Xena's...they're overwhelmingly good. I've had three now, with not so good results. False alarms are a biggie w/ these things- very common. Reading FAQ's from Xena the apparent fix is to 1.) have the properly sized unit for your disc (easy to do w/ fitment guide) and 2.) keep the little reflector piece clear and clean (that's the heart of false alarms w/ these things) and 3.) Keep fresh batteries in it (a set of 6 usually lasts all season.)

I never could get the units I had to work right and finally gave up...and I am pretty good/intuitive w/ these kinds of things. Xena was helpful (even replaced a module free of charge) but no matter...I never could get them to work right (lots of false alarms, and of the unit not arming itself when set/locked.) When it did work right it was great, but keep in mind that while the alarm is darn loud it's not something you're going to hear inside, in the dead of the night, w/ AC on or anything like that...it's a deterrent shriek at best.

Don't get me wrong: Xena may be the best and the reviews are good overall...I just haven't had good experiences. Nothing against Xena though- I hope they get 'em worked out.

I have a nook/awning next to my house I chain up under (it's the sidewalk to my basement, w/ an awning above and lattice at the outer faciing side...w/ a cover it's a good hidden spot right up against the house.) I run the chain around a well anchored pole and through the frame where the left footpeg is. Ideally you want the chain to run through the frame and also through one or both rims. YOu also ideally want a chain that is (as much as they can be) hack-proof and freeze proof (as hitting the chain w/ a burst of freon or such makes it brittle, and then the scofflaws can simply whack it w/a hammer to break it open.)

The old adage is true: If they really want it they'll get it. I do believe that making it a pain in their arse helps...if it's gonna be a slow and noisy process they'll likely move on to easier targets.

I just bought a Xena alarm and there's a thing about it being more sensitive at different positions on the disc. It seems to be true, I tried moving it around and it is definately more sensitive at the top or side of the disc than at the bottom. It has only been on my bike for a few days now but it hasn't false alarmed and I'm happy with it.

I have the xena too. I found that in really humid conditions the alarm will trip, otherwise it does the job. Xena's customer service is top notch. I kept it in my factory tool bag. Did a marathon wheelie session it fell out and smacked the ground pretty good. Scrambled its brain, but mechanically it was sound. I called xena and just wanted to buy the circuit board. I even told them what I did and that it was all my fault. She asked where I bought it from and I told her eBay. That didn't thrill her and she said something about it not being an authorized retailer. Now I just wanted to buy the circuit board, be even though I abused it and bought it from a non-authorized retailer, she sent me a new board and a couple of new sets of batteries, all for free.

As far as the chain goes, I usually just run my chain through the back wheel and put the disc lock on the front wheel. Probably be better ran through the frame, but I'd have to get pretty close to a pole to do that. The chain I bought actaully has a powersports warranty. If someone compromises it and takes your bike, you send them a link or broken lock, and they will pay up to $1250 of your insurance deductable. The first year warranty was free and just a few bucks for up to three years. It's heavy, at 15lbs, but it's worth it. Oh yeah, it's a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit. 5' long.

WGW

I just bought a Xena alarm and there's a thing about it being more sensitive at different positions on the disc. It seems to be true, I tried moving it around and it is definately more sensitive at the top or side of the disc than at the bottom. It has only been on my bike for a few days now but it hasn't false alarmed and I'm happy with it.

I agree. I had some success w/ positioning, but over time still had issues. Again, not against Xena- just didn't have luck (I wouldn't bash 'em as they did give me good customer service- they replaced one module for free, out of warranty, plus batteries.)

theres otherbrands for half the price on ebay. also, you may look into a cable lock with an alarm. the alarm sounds if the cable is cut. that way you can lock up other items if neccesary.

theres otherbrands for half the price on ebay. also, you may look into a cable lock with an alarm. the alarm sounds if the cable is cut. that way you can lock up other items if neccesary.

definitely worth looking at other brands. i eventually settled on $25 disc lock alarms from aldi that have been faultless at a third of the price of a typical xena.

posted this on another thread, but can't say i was impressed with the xena disc lock alarms. :-(

• Like 1

I had the original xena never got along with it, in the shed someplace.

I'd say better to spend your money on a quality chain and lock, put it through the frame and lock it to something, off the ground where possible.

If the chain is on the ground it's susceptible to the freezing and hammer thing, I guess somewhat on a post as well, but it makes it much more difficult.

• Like 1