Desperate for help with rm250 swingarm

Sick to death of this. I'm on my knees now and need help.

Rebuilding my rm250 98, and noticed the swingarm bearings were completely fudged. So I went down to racespec (fairly local) and asked them to fit them for me. They did and charged me an hours labour. Got back and prepared to fit the swing arm.....it just won't go in. I've got a clymer manual and everythings the right way round. But it's the spacers on the outside, there's no way they will fit in-between the frame. Much too wide. Even with just one spacer in there's barely any room on the other side for anything let alone a spacer. They have defintatly sold me the right bearing kit. It's so frustrating because I keep going to try again to fit this swingarm and the spacers fall out. In trying over and over again for ages I've mashed up the outer seals that the spacers fit into. I'm so fed up now, this was supposed to be a cheap project and instead it's costing me a fortune and it's still a piece of shit. I've spent to much and gone too far to just give up now I just need these spacers to fit in. I was almost in tears earlier with anger and frustration! Please help if poss. Thanks, andy

If we are talking about the same thing... Just rebuilt my 98. The swing arm fits easily... On mine, there are no spacers. The bearing sits flush with the edge of the swing arm and everything seems fine.. You are talking about the pivot point right? where it goes through the frame and the back of the case?

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. According to the manual there is an outer seal and a spacer fits inside. I'll try and find a manual pic online. It's too wide with them but too loose without

I could send you a picture...But who knows. They're old bikes with old bike problems. That's why I'm getting rid of mine.... Feels like it's going to fall apart underneath me.

I had to slam dunk mine with a 2x4 and a 5lb hammer.

What happens is there are also roller bearings on each sides of the swingarm just behind the outer spacers and these are the first to rot and almost disapear. When they are rotten the slack they leave requires you to tighten the swingarm bolt but doing so will bend the frame inward. The real problem is when you replace all the bearings and the swingarm recovers its original width. You will need to spread apart the frame back to its original shape to accomodate the repaired swingarm.

c8548e68.jpg

Item number 10 Is the spacer in question

What happens is there are also roller bearings on each sides of the swingarm just behind the oiter spacers and these are the first to rot and almost disapear. When they are rotten the slack they leave requires you to tighten the swingarm bolt but doing so will bend the frame inwarrd. The real problem is when you replace all the bearings and the zwingarm recovers its original width. You will need to spread apart the frame back to its original shape to accomodate the repaired swingarm.

Ouch. Would make sense as the old bearings were awful. How would I go about spreading the frame? Or maybe I could just use a couple of washers either side to replace the spacers?

If we are talking about the same thing... Just rebuilt my 98. The swing arm fits easily... On mine, there are no spacers. The bearing sits flush with the edge of the swing arm and everything seems fine.. You are talking about the pivot point right? where it goes through the frame and the back of the case?

Do you maybe have #11 on the picture the other way round?

Nope. That's on the inside, as specified. Essentially it is the hole in the swingarm, with some form of rubber bearing, and a metal bearing inside that. It is darn near flush with the arm.

That's what's confusing me, my spacers are nowhere near flush with the swingarm. Id say they stick out atleast 5mm each, so one centremeter in total

c8548e68.jpg

Item number 10 Is the spacer in question

If both #11 are in swing arm and not #10, does it fit on cases? Does #11 push against #3 when you slide it in or just touch it? #2 is seated in center of swing arm?

I rebuilt a friends CR250 with a swing arm from a 125 and the center bushings were different lengths. Maybe you got a kit for a 125 by mistake?

Only other option is if the #11 pushes #3 into #10, you could grind down #11 until it doesn't push it or if it doesn't push on #3, grind down #10 to make it fit. Or try to bend the frame apart to get them to fit.

If you put everything together on swing arm and #10 is barely sticking out of seal, then frame is bent in and needs to be bent apart. Do not grind anything down in that case.

Sorted. The shop sold me a 96-97 kit which comes with two washers either side in addition to the above diagram. Idiots!