Looking at buying an 01 CR250

Looking to buy a bike to replace my old KLX 300R.

I found a bike, owner says:

2001 cr250 80 over new cylinder jug, new back tire, new piston, jetted out not even two weeks ago nothing wrong with it starts on first kick $1500 or best must go today.

I had it bord out. bought it with a baqd cylinder and order a new 250 jug but would take 2 months so i got a bord 80 over.

So he had it bored out 80 over, that puts it around 260cc?

Now, I don't know a whole ton about bikes, mainly gonna be trail riding with this one (not a racer), so can someone translate that into lame mans terms for me? He bought it with a bad cylinder, and ordered a jug for it? What the heck is a jug?

Also, is $1500 a fair price for it? Seems a little high to me, and I'm likely to offer less than that. Is $1200 a fair price? He does have a clean title for it. Also says its never been raced. Anything I should be worried about regarding a bike that has had that type of work done to it? How is the 2001 model in comparison to the late 90s models?

The "jug" is the cylinder.

The 2001 CR250R is a great bike--I'd love to have one. $1500 might be a good price if the bike is ready to ride. $1200 is more what I'd expect to give for a bike that had needs. I sold my '97 CR250R 2 weeks ago for $1600 here in economically depressed Arkansas, and that's not as desirable a bike as the '01.

My opinion on the "never been raced before" sales pitch is that it is non-sense. I'd rather buy a well-maintained race bike from someone who knows how to care for his bike than a "never been raced before" bike from someone who doesn't know and doesn't care about bike maintenance.

If the bike has been bored 0.080" over and has not had any port work, then the bike will be tamer than it was stock. All of the ports are angled so that when the bore increases, the port timing decreases. Over bored 2-strokes generally get torquier (sp?) and might lose a little top end unless the bore job is accompanied with port work. Of course, this could be desirable if you're planning on trail riding.

The "jug" is the cylinder.

The 2001 CR250R is a great bike--I'd love to have one. $1500 might be a good price if the bike is ready to ride. $1200 is more what I'd expect to give for a bike that had needs. I sold my '97 CR250R 2 weeks ago for $1600 here in economically depressed Arkansas, and that's not as desirable a bike as the '01.

My opinion on the "never been raced before" sales pitch is that it is non-sense. I'd rather buy a well-maintained race bike from someone who knows how to care for his bike than a "never been raced before" bike from someone who doesn't know and doesn't care about bike maintenance.

If the bike has been bored 0.080" over and has not had any port work, then the bike will be tamer than it was stock. All of the ports are angled so that when the bore increases, the port timing decreases. Over bored 2-strokes generally get torquier (sp?) and might lose a little top end unless the bore job is accompanied with port work. Of course, this could be desirable if you're planning on trail riding.

+1 on this. If it has been bored, it probably has an aftermarket steel sleave in it which IMO turns the cylinder into a $200 paperweight. If it were me, I would try to find someone who is selling one who knows more about the bike and how to care for it.

The impression I get from him talk to him over e-mail is he bought the bike broken, went on to have some work done to it, then he broke his hand and isn't going to be riding for a while so he's selling the bike. More lower end power is what I'm looking for, as I do mainly trail riding.

How does having a steel sleeve turn the cylinder into a $200 paperweight?

The impression I get from him talk to him over e-mail is he bought the bike broken, went on to have some work done to it, then he broke his hand and isn't going to be riding for a while so he's selling the bike. More lower end power is what I'm looking for, as I do mainly trail riding.

How does having a steel sleeve turn the cylinder into a $200 paperweight?

When you have a stock nikasil plated cylinder, you can run many pistons and rings through it, unless it gets damaged in some way, they rarely wear out. A steel Sleeve will wear quicker and have to be over bored. If it is already .080 over, you are looking at having a cylinder that will probably need to be resleeved within a very short period of time since that is going to be about as far as you can overbore on that cylinder. Plus like was stated above, without porting work on the cylinder to match the overbore, your bike will lose overall power due to the port timing. (like was already stated)

Pass on this one man. There are better bikes out there for that price.

what's the rest of the bike like? you could lowball him, 900 $ if he did not replate the cylinder, if he does not have receipts he probably did not replate it, that's how I deal with used bikes like this

New cylinders are only ~300 $

Yea, I'll just wait for a more stock bike. I hate all these people that throw on aftermarket exhaust, as if the bike really needed it. And then they don't even retune it, just throw on the exhaust for looks to make people think they race them (much like most of the black numbers you see on bikes).

huh? retune?

On a 2 stroke, pipe choice helps determine where they make power, first thing I did on our cr250 is put a gnarley on

we did not have to "retune" the bike for it

Yea, I'll just wait for a more stock bike. I hate all these people that throw on aftermarket exhaust, as if the bike really needed it. And then they don't even retune it, just throw on the exhaust for looks to make people think they race them (much like most of the black numbers you see on bikes).

I found out a long time ago that 100% original used bikes are the ones to buy. The more aftermarket crap on it, the faster you should run away from it.

I don't see what the problem is. $1500 obo? That's a damn good deal to me. Buy the damn thing. The 01 is a great bike and there's tons of info on what to do to make it an awesome trail bike. ..like what you do to most mx bikes turned trail. Bark busters, skid plate, flywheel weight , and lower gearing. Easy and cheap and the bike is awesome. There's tons of info on these bikes and if you're trail riding the bike should last and last and last. Even if you are motocrossing these bikes it's good enough even though it's 10 yrs old.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Honda/News/START-THE-FOURSTROKE-REVOLUTION-WITHOUT-MEBY-WILLY-7813.aspx

I got one of these things so I know they are good. Here's a recent ride close to home.

I'm kind of interested some here make like these should go for much cheaper. What do these go for generally? Around where I live they still go for 2 to $2500. Honda's hold good prices. They are pretty reliable and work well.

The 01 is a great bike. I wish I had kept mine! The "overbore" would worry me. I prefer to buy my used bikes stock. Make a low offer.

I don't see what the problem is. $1500 obo? That's a damn good deal to me. Buy the damn thing. The 01 is a great bike and there's tons of info on what to do to make it an awesome trail bike. ..like what you do to most mx bikes turned trail. Bark busters, skid plate, flywheel weight , and lower gearing. Easy and cheap and the bike is awesome. There's tons of info on these bikes and if you're trail riding the bike should last and last and last. Even if you are motocrossing these bikes it's good enough even though it's 10 yrs old.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Honda/News/START-THE-FOURSTROKE-REVOLUTION-WITHOUT-MEBY-WILLY-7813.aspx

I got one of these things so I know they are good. Here's a recent ride close to home.

I'm kind of interested some here make like these should go for much cheaper. What do these go for generally? Around where I live they still go for 2 to $2500. Honda's hold good prices. They are pretty reliable and work well.

Yes, the 01 is a great bike and $1500 can be a good price for it, but from the description of this one, it is not. I would bet with some patience, the OP could find one in much better condition for the same price.

Yes, the 01 is a great bike and $1500 can be a good price for it, but from the description of this one, it is not. I would bet with some patience, the OP could find one in much better condition for the same price.

So what's wrong with a bored out cylinder? for $1500 obo? Say you get it for 13 .... Man that's cheap. That's pretty good if you can find some in better condition for the same price. You guys have better buying power in a down market than we have here.

That bike is smooth! What carb, pipe and silencer, reeds, fww are you using? I was going to buy new but have decided to refurbish my '01 for another ten years use. At 66, that will probably do it for me. Thanks very much.:ride:
So what's wrong with a bored out cylinder? for $1500 obo? Say you get it for 13 .... Man that's cheap. That's pretty good if you can find some in better condition for the same price. You guys have better buying power in a down market than we have here.

Well, I am just going off a 3rd hand description but from what I read, it wasn't just the sleeved cylinder but the fact that the guy knew nothing about it. Which means that either he knows nothing and therefore couldn't take care of it, or he is trying to hide something. If he really wants to, go look at it, take a friend that knows about bikes and can talk you out of it if needed. Low ball offer the guy something and see if he bites. In my experience, if you buy a bike that needs fixing up, you will end up paying more in fix up charges then it would have cost you to get a newer bike. If this thing has an .080 bored, sleeved cylinder, and it turns out that it needs a new top end and the cylinder is out of service levels, dude is going to be into the bike over $2000 before it is even rideable. If he is patient and finds one that has a stock plated cylinder on it, a new top end is only about $200. That is all I am warning about.

Here is an example of the 2001's that we have listed in my local area right now.

If I had the money, I would be all over this one:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15827960&cat=236&lpid=&search=cr250

This one isn't bad either.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15817163&cat=236&lpid=&search=cr250

One more:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15647966&cat=236&lpid=2&search=cr250

There isn't much of a selection of 01's right now, I see them pop up on this classifieds for around $1500 all the time though. I do like the ones that still look stock though even though both of them are over $2k.

Here is an example of the 2001's that we have listed in my local area right now.

One more:

There isn't much of a selection of 01's right now, I see them pop up on this classifieds for around $1500 all the time though. I do like the ones that still look stock though even though both of them are over $2k.

We don't have a lot of 01's for sale but usually they run above 2k . Now I can see you being more conservative when you have a decent selection to choose from . We don't have that here so the deal looks even better to me. They are obviously in higher demand where I am. Maybe that's good I'd probably end up with more bikes if I lived where you lived.:ride:

That bike is smooth! What carb, pipe and silencer, reeds, fww are you using? I was going to buy new but have decided to refurbish my '01 for another ten years use. At 66, that will probably do it for me. Thanks very much.:ride:

I have a weird hodgpodge of parts going. I have a top end pipe(procircuit platinum) running with a probably too heavy flywheel weight (13oz) and steel plates in the tusk clutch kit which brings it a bunch over the 13oz (maybe too much) . My 01 runs like a honda handling big kdx. You may like it since the hit is much subdued and I last longer riding the bike all day. I've heard the stock pipe is the best of all but like how it's easier to clean my platinum. Check my garage for all the stuff I have on it. Instead of buying new each year I just add a couple of goodies. Now the bike is too good and taylored to my needs. It's too good a bike . I love that thing. It's so easy to ride and has a nice soft high gutz seat and racetech suspension to make it feel like a caddilac. I also have a 20'' front wheel and an 18" rear . Check my garage to see all the stuff I put on it. I have multiple changes of clothing ..;black,yellow,red etc to change up the looks of the bike. I will be going back to yellow . Ok sorry for going offtrack/hijack here.. but you all know obviously reason is I love 01 cr 250 hondas. I am biased and when I see one for a price like this it looks great to me. (if the bike runs decent and is in decent shape). I think If I was to start again I would buy a bike like this and start with an eric gorr 265cc top end for $600 or so and continue from there.:lol:

One more:

Wow that first one is an awesome one. I'd be all over that too!!!