Sign in to follow this  

Wr250f cluch

Still burning up cluches desert racing, Need some help with this issue tryed all types of cluches & springs still no luck!

Any help and suggestions would be greatful.

Thanks dirtrider391

You need to figure out why you need to work it so much to induce all the slipping your are experiencing. Is your riding tight single track or deep sand at WOT?

You need to figure out why you need to work it so much to induce all the slipping your are experiencing. Is your riding tight single track or deep sand at WOT?

Yes it is tight course and lots of sand and WOT! for around a 100 miles per race..:ride:

Ok, here is the logic. If you have to slip the clutch a lot, any clutch is going to get worn out. Longer springs will make the clutch last longer because you are able to maintain adequate pressure on the clutch pack but it is still going to go. Most clutch packs that I have seen that have longer wearing characteristics, also have a very narrow operating range and tend to be more like on/off switches with no ability to feather. As you heat up the clutch, it also causes it to wear faster (the clutch pack swells and becomes more spongey). Until someone makes a clutch with more plates, which will require a new, wider clutch cover, there is not a lot you can do that is reasonable to the clutch.

You can however, change your final gearing so you have to use the clutch less. For example, I dropped my final gearing on my stock 08 wr250F three teeth on the back. Top speed is at best, 70mph at the limiter, happy to putt away at 50mph. But it is low enough that I almost never clutch on the trail. Simple drive train slack is enough for a momentary complete ceasing of forward motion then going again with the bike running and in gear. My clutch is only used in the impossible stuff, when taking off from a standstill and most of the time when shifting.

In my entire life, I have never worn out a clutch.