when your gonna wreck

I dream of being able to ride into my 70’s and 80’s, but I can’t be getting all busted up along the way or I won’t even be able to crawl, let alone ride.

I tore my ACL and MCL some years back when the rear end slid out from under me on a wet/slick trail and I tried to save it by putting my foot down. I ended up doing a split to the side and that was it for both knee ligaments, and I ended up on the ground anyway. Pretty long recovery time.

So while recovering, I got to replay my wreck a zillion times in my head---what happened, what could I have done? That’s when I decided as soon as I know I am going to lose the rear wheel, I will not put my foot down to try and save it no matter what my instinct dictates.

I have since been in this same situation and had it go very well. Pretty much the handlebars and the back end of the bike took the hit. I have those wrap-around hand guards so no controls were messed up and my leg did not get smashed up either.

I don’t have any tidbits for when you know you are going to hit a tree or rock or go over that cliff so I guess just hope for the best on those.

I'm facing the fact that I'm getting old too. I'm 53 years old and am recovering from a broken collar bone and some busted up ribs. I have the same reservations whether I should keep riding or not.

Anybody who thinks that they won't crash is an idiot! It's not a matter if "IF", it's a matter of "WHEN"!

For the last 6 weeks I have put my bike on the market for sale, and pulled it back off again.

Until they force me into the Rascal scooter with a drool cup duct taped to my face and I have to wear Depends, I think Ill ride with my middle finger held high in protest! :ride:

Don't need to convince me about "getting all busted up along the way". I certainly lived that during the first ten years of my riding, and I didn't start til I was 38 or so. Trying to train myself not to go down on "previously" broken body parts is tough these days.

Like, Trying to remember not to try to catch myself with an outstretched hand when going down, due to a previously broken and still pinned wrist.

I'm facing the fact that I'm getting old too. I'm 53 years old and am recovering from a broken collar bone and some busted up ribs. I have the same reservations whether I should keep riding or not.

For the last 6 weeks I have put my bike on the market for sale, and pulled it back off again.

Now now Gary, we'll hear none of that. I've been as busted up over the years as anybody. It certainly gets old and frustrating at the time, but never did I consider giving it up. You can adjust your riding style, type, aggressiveness and still enjoy it, while at the same time decreasing chances of injuries.

Well for spin outs like you had, knee braces like Asterisk cell would have saved your knee, I am sure of it. Been there done that.

For other crashes try and never let go of the handlebars, because when you do let go you will surely put your arm out to try and catch yourself. That's when broken arms and dislocated shoulders happen.

Then it comes down to All the Gear All the Time, helmet, Boots, Knee Braces, chest protector and elbow pad or a pressure suit.

Don't need to convince me about "getting all busted up along the way". I certainly lived that during the first ten years of my riding, and I didn't start til I was 38 or so. Trying to train myself not to go down on "previously" broken body parts is tough these days.

Like, Trying to remember not to try to catch myself with an outstretched hand when going down, due to a previously broken and still pinned wrist.

correct.. i also started riding late.. mid 30's.. and now 48 have had 3 m/c injuries..

1 .. c 1 c2 fracture..broken neck

2.. lh collar bone

3.. lh ankle..

the neck scared the crap out of everyone, but it is ok, fused.. no movement, but it is fine.. the ankle was the last one this year.. someone asked my wife if that would get me off a dirt bike... she replied... " if a broken neck did not, i really doubt an ankle will "

you adjust and slow down.. i have gone around stuff the young riders go up, and dont even think twice about.. limit your chances to get hurt, and have fun...:ride: ATGATT...

I I usually go FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU, stick my hands out, sprain both wrists, and rake one shin across a footpeg. I guess I should work on that,.

Experience builds a pool of knowledge which helps you to decide when to ride it out or bail. When it's time to bail, try to get clear of the bike and get your landing gear out. Practice tuck 'n' roll and have it on a hair trigger. Have and wear good, comfortable protective gear. Even with all of that you are still likely to be injured from riding cycles for sport. If you can't handle that it might be time for you to take up ballroom dancing.

I agree with the sentiments and ideas here, but when I crash it happens so fast I'm in slow motion before I know anything happened.

The only reflex I have developed over the years is do my best to keep from doing anything where the weight of my body ends up on any single part of my body.

Don't put your hands or feet out to try and catch yourself, because while that is a natural instinct, no part of your body is strong enough to absorb your full body weight in motion without injury.

Pull your hands in, make a fist with both hands, tuck your chin and try to keep your legs/feet together. Then, just roll with it.

Yeah, it's going to hurt, ring your bell and probably knock the wind out of you, but at least (if you're lucky) you won't have a finger or a foot pointing the wrong direction when you wake up.

Good boots will (help) prevent an ankle injury, knee braces will (help) prevent blowing a knee. No way the rest of the gear we use will do much other than save some hide and maybe prevent a shattered bone.

Best thing to do is just go limp shrimp and let it happen.... That turned probable death into a mild concussion and a very very painful stiff neck for a week. For me, at least. I know a guy in his 50s that has broken his neck twice, and pretty much every other injury, but is still the ironman on his KLX 450 R

I wrecked similar to the OP once. difference was I swung my leg out from under the bike and sat on top of it as it slid down the side of the road. Until I went into the ditch. Damn thing catapulted me off and I got some gravel through my jacket stuck up into my forearm and elbow. That was on an old forest service fire road in the mountains and not a trail though. I was going about 60 when the rear slid out on me.

My old man always said never stick out an arm or a leg to try and catch yourself, you'll only break it.

Football and wrestling in high school taught me how to take a fall. I simply go almost completely limp without thinking about it. Knock on wood here, but I have taken some pretty nasty falls that most likely would have resulted in injury had I tried to catch myself. And of course, gear is key.

if im sliding out, and i cant save it with steering/throttle. i just lay it down and go with it. you uselly come out on top that way.

if im going down from a jump. tuck and roll!!!!

I've been really lucky with my crashes. But keep these things in mind...

Your ligaments are designed to tear before your bones break.

The larger the area that hits the ground, the more the impact is spread out.

But I'll usually just go with the flow when I crash. I go "progressively limp" Lol. I've only had to bail once so far and I luckily landed on the downslope of the jump. All the other times I've crashed I keep trying to correct the bike until the very end, and when I fall I just relax.

Im sitting with a new acl that has been reconstructed 6weeks ago. Popped a wheely with flops on, it went scew and saved it by stepping it back with my left leg. Thinking back, i would rather have had the bruises and scrapes than sitting here doing physio and waiting for another 6 MONTHS to pass before i am allowed to ride agian! I hate it and i was an idiot for riding with no gear!

There's some armor out now that's using new technology and materials, as opposed to our old turtle shell like chest protector. Anybody who has busted ribs knows that chest protectors and pressure suits have nothing, or just pretend padding around the sides for ribs, liver and spleen protection. While laying in the hospital recently I did research into what gear might have allowed me to keep riding rather than laying there with a tube in my chest, and I did find some that would have made all the difference- in my crash anyway. I wrote about it here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984783 A "bull riders" Impact Vest would have protected me much better than the nothing that my pressure suit has.

Unfortunately there's nothing that will save a collar bone if you put your arm out to catch yourself in a hard get off. And those new neck braces have plenty of stories where the wearers claim the brace broke their collar bone. The expensive knee braces can save your ligaments but have broken bones, both at the the top and bottom of where they attach to you. I've read doctors debating their safety because a broken femur is much more dangerous than torn ligaments, in their opinion.

I remember being 20 and wrecking and just laughing: "Hey- you crash, you heal." Those kids have no idea how good they have it, this old body sure doesn't like to get bounced off at any speed. Has the ground really gotten that much harder in the last few years?

I'm going through the same crap now, at 46 yrs old. On a bike vacation as we speak as a matter of fact, and i'm afraid to 'push it' because i hurt bad enough from my past 35 yrs of bouncing around on sleds, bikes, and quads. If i miss work, life will go on, but when i'm 60 or so, what will my quality of life be? Scary stuff, but ya gotta live.

Braaaap

Mike.

I tore my ACL 30 years ago, you just learn to go easy on it. I'm 51, and don't plan on quitting any time soon.

I practice the tuck-n-roll method for crashes. I've had some good crashes with no major injuries so far in over 15 years of riding. Partly because of riding, I do have bad knees, but have altered how I do most things to avoid pain.

That "go limp" idea sounds interesting. Seems like drunk drivers are on the limp so they end up surviving some nastier crashes.

Anyone ever oopsed and seen a tree in your direct path and you know you are going to hit it? Arms folded across chest? Go limp? I'm not sure.

Got off camber on a rut a few months back, hit a tree, and found out it was rotted so it went right down---But it could have been healthy.