Shall I buy this DR 350?

Finally I found a Dr 350 with electric start on sale near home!

The owner says it was bought on 2000, it has 28000 miles and he asks about 1900$.

Now,maybe it was bought on 2000 but from the colours it is a 97 model, am I right?

Second fact and most important, it was used as a rent a bike for tourists in the summer...

So imagine 10 summers ridden by all kind of users, that didn't really care about it..

About the price, I believe I can make him lower it to 1600-1700$.

The bike as you can see from the photos has no extras at all, but I can swap various things from my DR 250,

such us the renthal steering,

the usd front forks,

the arrow exhaust,

the Mikuni TM33 carb

before selling it for about 1000-1200$.

The big question is the engine.. I do not know in what condition will it be?

I haven't had the chance to see the bike live yet, and since I am not a professional mechanic, even when I see it, I will not be able to fully understand it's condition,

apart the basic things..

You see, the fact that it has been used by all kind of people for so many years scares me a lot.

One more thing, from the photos I see it has no kick start lever.. Will I be able to install one, and how difficult is it?

So, what do you people think about this buy? Considering pictures and facts only, what do you think?

The bike will be used for off road riding only, so I will also have to buy new tires with knobbies,

better hand protectors and maybe other staff.

The price I have to say is from the lowest prices you can find here for this bikes..

A good kept one with after-market staff can cost up to 3000$

1511431_0_b.jpg

1511431_1_b.jpg

1511431_2_b.jpg

1511431_3_b.jpg

1511431_5_b.jpg

1511431_6_b.jpg

Hi, I am thinking that is a 96. Here is my 97:

DSCN0022.jpg

I think $1900 is a little high but the bike looks fair. It looks like it needs tires and maybe a chain and general TLC.

I may have sold it too cheap but I sold the one in the picture a few months ago for $1350. It was in very good condition and had a bunch of extras but had 32K miles on it. (I ride a LOT! :ride:)

I loved that bike and had a blast on it but when I started on my current DR650 project bike I found I was not riding it enough to make it worth keeping it. I miss her! :lol:

Hi jaeger22!

Hi, I am thinking that is a 96. Here is my 97:

Are they not the same model?what are the differences?

I may have sold it too cheap but I sold the one in the picture a few months ago for $1350. It was in very good condition and had a bunch of extras but had 32K miles on it. (I ride a LOT! :ride:)

1350 $ for a bike in that condition, I would not think it twice! I would buy it only seeing the picture!

I have seen from this forum, that bikes in the states are much cheaper than in many other places in the world.

Here at that price you can only find relics..

But I believe I can make him lower it at least 150$-300$.

High miles is not an issue by its self,when you know that the rider respects it.

Are they not the same model?what are the differences?

As far as I know they are exactly the same except for graphics on the tank and side panel.

1350 $ for a bike in that condition, I would not think it twice! I would buy it only seeing the picture!

Yes I am probably an idiot for selling it so cheap.:ride: I sold it on Craig's list and it was sold in 4 hours for list price. The guy that bought it was super happy. He even ask why I was selling it so cheap.:lol:

I should have said " and if you want the title, it is only another $500" :lol:

It's definitely a '98.

Anyone can help with the kick start question? If the bike is not equipped from the factory, can it be installed later??

Hell no don't buy it! A rental that has 28,000 has to be wore out from all the different people riding it. I mean beating it. Add to that it looks tired means you'll be takeing one in the back side if you pay more than a $1,000 for it. It would be worth $1,500-$1,800 if it wasn't a rental and it didn't look like it sat outside all it's life.

Hell no don't buy it! A rental that has 28,000 has to be wore out from all the different people riding it. I mean beating it. Add to that it looks tired means you'll be takeing one in the back side if you pay more than a $1,000 for it. It would be worth $1,500-$1,800 if it wasn't a rental and it didn't look like it sat outside all it's life.

I agree the tires look like banana peals, I bet it is wore out.

Anyone can help with the kick start question? If the bike is not equipped from the factory, can it be installed later??

Yes, the kickstart can be added later. You will need the kickstart lever, the kickstart shaft, and the related gears & spring. It is not a very difficult job.

If the bike starts & runs with no weird noises or blue smoke, I would buy it. It sounds like they are hard to find in your area, and a top end job is not that hard.

Do take it for a test ride and make sure it shifts well -- a transmission job is much harder than a top end.

I wouldn't pay $1900 for that bike. Look at the tires, they are trashed, the carb doesn't look like its been cleaned in who knows how long? maybe never?

If you are set at looking at it, first look at the air cleaner. given its condition will give you an insight to how the owner cares for the bike. Also look at the chain/sprockets.

out the bike on a stand on pull on the rear wheel. This will give you an idea if the suspension bushings/bearings are toast.

Oil filter is behind three bolts on the right side. Pull the cover and look at the filter to check for material. It's really bad if you find gold/brass colored flecks.

Also pull the center bolt and spring for the cam chain tensioner, then take the tensioner off and see how far it's extended. I'll bet money its extended to its max. So plan on a new cam chain.

All in all, I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for the bike.

Hi to all and thanks for the answers!

The Dr 350 has a great reputation here for off road riding, so who owns one, keeps it tight!

I also live in an island, so it is even harder to find them.

This is the first I find, in more than one year I am looking..

The tires don't bother me at all,because even if they were new, I would have to change them with ones having knobbies.

The carb neither, I will install the mikuni Tm33 I have on the 250.

And I know I will probably have to change sprockets, chain, some of the bearings and who knows what else.

It's the engine that worries me.Valves, clutch, piston, etc.

The price may seem a bit high, but here is from the cheapest you can find.. It is the EUR/USD conversion that makes it look high too.

Well when and if I go to see it (it is 3hr drive) I will let you know how this bike really is.

Finally, one last question:

If I find a 350 engine, can I fit it on my Dr250? are there any restrictions considering the model or the year of production?Anyone that did it?

Why not turn the 250 into a 350???? so much easier..

I hate to link another foru, but,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528784&page=9

This might help you out a little.

I think you'd be better off and ahead to start modifying your current machine.

Edited by kamikazi dr rider

Well guys....I bought it!

I know that most of you advised me not too, but I did:excuseme:

Your main objection was the high price, but you have to understand that

the 1650$ (1150 €) I paid it for, is one of the lower prices (the lowest right now) you can find around.

Many of them are sold for 2150-2700$ (1500-1700 €) and they are in much worst conditions.

Plus, it was the only one being sold in in the island I live.

The bike is not what one can call "The real deal", but with some work, it can become a very nice bike, which I plan to keep for many years!

It has some issues, but I believe they can all be resolved.I have read rebuild threads here, where people started with bikes in real awful conditions, and finally built bikes that I really envy!:ride:

I will soon start a rebuild thread myself too, monitoring the progress of the work, writing up all the problems and asking questions how to resolve them (I will be needing some serious help)!

So, see you soon!

If the carb needs re-jetting, etc: when you swap the TM33 from the 250 to the 350 can you please make note of the jet sizes and needle clip position?

I still haven't got the TM33 to run properly on my DR250 and you're the only one I know that has one that runs good.

Thanks.:ride:

Hi Bob!

I haven't forgotten you! I have taken off the carb from the 250, but I have not opened it yet. One of the following days I promise to open it, so I will tell you all the data you are asking.

Sure it will need re jetting for the 350!and a good cleaning!

Hi Bob!

I haven't forgotten you! I have taken off the carb from the 250, but I have not opened it yet. One of the following days I promise to open it, so I will tell you all the data you are asking.

Sure it will need re jetting for the 350!and a good cleaning!

Thanks! :ride:
Well guys....I bought it!

I will soon start a rebuild thread myself too, monitoring the progress of the work, writing up all the problems and asking questions how to resolve them (I will be needing some serious help)!

:ride: I'm looking forward to the rebuild thread. Take as many pictures as you can. A picture is worth a thousand words, or less, depending on your compression algorithm :lol:

As long as the head and bottom end are good, you should be OK.

Run a can of Seafoam Green through it. Swap the tires. Ride it. When you have a problem search and post.

Enjoy.

Anyone can help me with this?

The VIN of the bike is JS1 SK42A 00050XXXX.

No letter after A such us V,X etc indicating the year of construction... I see all over the manuals that there should be a letter indicating the year of manufacturing, but both my DRs (the 250 & the 350) are missing this letter...:ride:

Is this because they are European models?

How can I find the year they where born???