Quieter Exhaust

Hi All,

The 400SM I bought has had quite a few mods done to it, big bore, cams, re-jet and exahust amongst others. The exhaust that is on there is an MRD, though it seems to be shorter in the muffler than most of the pictures I have seen of other MRD systems these bikes. Anyway, the noise is pissing off the neighbours and reducing the hours in which I can ride whilst still maintaining some sort of neighbourhood peace.

I have heard there is a quiet insert for the MRD, but that it really only reduces the volume when at full throttle. The current MRD is just to noisy all of the time.

What options are there in terms of quieter exhausts?

Would the bike need re-jetting if a different exhaust goes on there?

Cheers

I am going to install a stainless 90degree down turn on mine for the same reason. I found that I can keep the pipe bore the same but cut the sharp tones down somewhat. I have thought it would be nice to able to open and close the exhaust opening on the fly so when you get close to home the noise can be limited.

I have a Staintune full system, all stainless steel construction and mechanically baffled.

With the quiet insert it is totally unobtrusive and I can ride all day without getting a headache.

I have taken the time to experiment with needles and jetting and it pulls very hard off the bottom and revs out clean and strong.

I'm not saying it would preform well with a BB kit in it's current configuration as it is a little restricted but I am more than happy in the bush and never want for more power.

Only problem is the Staintune comes in at $850 odd but I'm more than happy with the performance and quality.

Is the Staintune system one of the quieter aftermarket exhausts?

I'm wondering, if I can avoid going back to the stock pipe would I be able to avoid re-jetting if I went with something like the Staintune?

It would be good to be able to throw the MRD on for trackdays, and have something a little less provactive for day to day use...

I'm wondering, if I can avoid going back to the stock pipe would I be able to avoid re-jetting if I went with something like the Staintune?

It would be good to be able to throw the MRD on for trackdays, and have something a little less provactive for day to day use...

I don't know how quiet other systems are but Staintune claim 94db with the quiet insert and legal.

As I ride a lot of state forest, I don't want the attention of other forest users or the Rangers.

My DRZ came with the OEM pipe unrestricted and too be honest it was painful to ride with.

The Staintune makes a good note without being obtrusive and still performs well.

Re-jetting is no big deal, I can lead you in the right direction, I have found that the EMR needle works better than the EMN with the quiet insert along with a 158 MJ.

A Flexjet is a must have as well to getting the tuning right.

Like most after market pipes the header pipe is tucked up nice and high and out of harms way, unlike the standard pipe.

If you restrict the exhaust you will have to rejet:thumbsup: