First bike suggestions

I am looking to pick up my first bike. I am 5'11 160lbs 18years old, got about 3 more inches to grow at most and i have no previous motorcycle experience. I want a bike that isnt to powerful that i wont be able to learn on it, but i dont want to get a good learning bike then get tired of it because it is too underpowered. I have $5000 to spend and 2 stroke or 4 stroke doesnt matter and i have no brand preferences. I think i will be doing about 80% trails and 20% track with no racing. All opinons are appreciated!

I am looking to pick up my first bike. I am 5'11 160lbs 18years old, got about 3 more inches to grow at most and i have no previous motorcycle experience. I want a bike that isnt to powerful that i wont be able to learn on it, but i dont want to get a good learning bike then get tired of it because it is too underpowered. I have $5000 to spend and 2 stroke or 4 stroke doesnt matter and i have no brand preferences. I think i will be doing about 80% trails and 20% track with no racing. All opinons are appreciated!

Well, the brutal honesty: You're probably going to get tired of your first bike because it's underpowered. The other choice is to get a bike that is probably too spirited to safely learn on. There really isn't a middle ground and you'll have to use some judgement to find out what you're comfortable with otherwise (IMO) you're just begging to get hurt. Make sense?

A TTR-230 (or any air-cooled 230-class bike) is a good learning bike for trails for your size, but it's not competitive in any way.

A YZ-125 is a more spirited "true" MX bike that you can use on the trails with some (really, any "125" would be fine). Expect to soften the suspension and add a flywheel weight if you're going to use it on trails.

A 250 2T is most likely too much bike for a new rider, same with any 450 4T.

If you want to ride to your trails, Consider a dual sport bike like a DR400S. Fantastic all-around trail bike that's also street legal. 650s are pretty heavy and challenging on trails as a first bike.

I would stay away from 4T "race" bikes (regardless of brand) solely for maintenance reasons, unless you're looking for the wider power band they offer over a 2T.

Save some of that $5,000 (like $1000 of it) for quality safety gear and a few benjamins worth of upgrades and maintenance parts like filters, oil, and sprockets.

I'm going with late model KDX here. Light enough, easy to turn, easy to start, indestructible. I'm the same height as this guy, and it feels very comfortable, both feet easily touch the ground. Versatile enough to putt around, or wind it out, more than enough power for a beginner, yet easily tamed. Can jump stuff if asked to. Natural habitat is on trails.

And you can get a good one for ~$1500, and have plenty of money for fixing stuff and mods.

If you have that much coin to spend on a bike and you just want trails, I'd pop for a KTM 200 (XC, EXC, W, etc...not the SX). You can tame those down to be pretty docile with the power-valve spring swap. You can afford a used late model, so get a new as possible (09 and up if you can). You'll likely never need another trail bike.?

Disclaimer: I'm a Yamaha guy...can't stand KTM's personally, but you can't argue they make an excellent bike.?

If you can't get along with the ergos on a KTM, you might look into a Yamaha WR 250F. Those are docile and fun while also being a serious woods bike. The TTR 230/250 are good as well, but are a little on the heavy side, don't have quality suspension and components, and you could pick up 2 of those for what you're looking to spend. If you have the money, get something nice that you can have fun with today and 5 years from today.:ride: