Spray painting rims. (pressure pack)

Hey guys I've looked at getting my rims powder coated but quickly learned it's not the way to go if I want to be able to adjust the spokes

And anodizing isnt available near me at the moment.

Anyway, what your thoughts on just sanding them a bit hitting it with some primer and the just spray painting them? I know regular touch ups will be necessary. But other than buying already black rims (don't have the cash riGhT now) I dont know how else I could do it..

I have spray painted things before (some disc guards) on the bike, and they have held up really well.

Anyway your thoughts? Anyone done it? How'd it go? Any pics? And how are they now?

Hey guys I've looked at getting my rims powder coated but quickly learned it's not the way to go if I want to be able to adjust the spokes

And anodizing isnt available near me at the moment.

Anyway, what your thoughts on just sanding them a bit hitting it with some primer and the just spray painting them? I know regular touch ups will be necessary. But other than buying already black rims (don't have the cash riGhT now) I dont know how else I could do it..

I have spray painted things before (some disc guards) on the bike, and they have held up really well.

Anyway your thoughts? Anyone done it? How'd it go? Any pics? And how are they now?

i have a xr with rims i spray painted. its a beater so didnt mask off anything. spoke nipples got painted too. its looks good for one ride. chips easy. just gotta keep painting everytime. not worth it.

my brother did his yz 250 rims with a spray gun and it looked really good for a good year off road

The paint chips easy. But I had a buddy use truck under coating spray on a set of Yz wheels it lookEd pretty good and they never peeled still look good

I will tell you my experience with painted rims. Guy I rode with a lot had a crf450r with black rims, they always looked fresh and sweet, no rim wipe or chips. Looked closely one day and noticed they were painted.

I hit him up about the paint, he laughed and said he paints then with satin black every few rides, Tyres and all :ride: just throws some tape around the spokes and paints the nipples.

Man, If i never looked close I would have swore they were powder coated. amazing what a $5 pressure pack can do!!!! :lol:

why do peple tape the spokes up?

So you dont get any overspray on them. I mean...you dont actualy want people to think you sprayed your own rims...lol

You can still adjust the spokes after powdercoating.....If you unlace the wheel and don't just take the whole rim/hub/spokes/nipples to the dude and say, "Just powdercoat it all!". Take the spokes off and just have the rim coated, then relace and VOILA!!! You now have a powdercoated rim that the spokes can be adjusted on.

Or just grab you a can of good ol' looks good for a bit, in a can, and spray. From the sounds of it, just leave them on the bike, a little overspray on the forks and swingarm won't hurt.

Sorry, just sounds like you want the quick result instead of taking the time and doing it right. You get what you pay for (time included in pay)

Sounds like you have your mind made up and are looking for approval, just do what you want to do.

Jim

if you want to look all scrubby with nicked painted rims, go for it. I have too much pride in my machines to take shortcuts.

if you want to look all scrubby with nicked painted rims, go for it. I have too much pride in my machines to take shortcuts.

THANK YOU! Only Answer needed!