Tire advice for woods riding 150f

My bike is finally needing new tires. I still have the stock Pirellis. I am getting a lot of slides from both back and front the knobs are rounded.

I only ride in my own woods and pastures in Missouri mainly grass and soft dirt. Probably anything put on is going to be an improvement. Aggressive riding, I am as aggressive as any sexagenarian who has ridden for 40+ years.

My stock tires sizes are 70/100-19 and 100/100-16. I am thinking that if I get good hook up I will want more power.

+1, I am right there with you....I have heard Dunlop 756 are good, but I am looking for others opinions as well.

In those tire sizes your choices are more limited than in the more popular sizes. Dunlop 756s are a good tire so that would be my first choice.

In Georgia which is a mix of clay (which can get hard as concrete), mud, rocks and roots - my preference is the Bridgestone 403/404. I would ask around and see what the local riders in you area like.

If you are going to change them yourself you can get some deals by watching the online stores. If you are going to have a shop change them - sometimes the shops mount them for free or discount the mounting if you buy the tires from them so buying them online vs locally can often be about the same by the time you factor in having the shop change the tires.

Thanks for those who replied. I was not able to get the 19/16" sizes in the 756 so I am going to order some Mx51 intermediate tread tires. We usually don't get adobe but it does dry up some on the summer, our woods trails don't get dusty though. The cost is going to be about $80 for the pair.

Where on earth did you get that price!? PM me if needed.

Also, if my bike has the original 2003 tires, have they gotten harder with age? The bike sat for several years and they have very few hours on them, even still have the nibs, but I do not feel very confident riding on them, probably since they were not very good quality to begin with, but I figured the rubber has hardened over time.

I was looking at the Maxxis IT but the price you found would be a deal I would like to take advantage of.

Thanks

Edited by Kickngas

denniskirk

Where on earth did you get that price!?

I installed a set of Cheng Shin C755 front and rear on my CRF150F. They are listed as hard terrain tires, which they work best at, but work well on all types of terrain. Best part about it, both tires were $45 total. Ran them all last season, and out twice so far this year, still working, but the rear will not make it all of this year I'm sure.

denniskirk

I have had pretty good luck with denniskirk lately. Big fat catalogue comes after an order too.

Good advice Mike. Is your 1911 a 38super? just fits your name.

I installed a set of Cheng Shin C755 front and rear on my CRF150F. They are listed as hard terrain tires, which they work best at, but work well on all types of terrain. Best part about it, both tires were $45 total. Ran them all last season, and out twice so far this year, still working, but the rear will not make it all of this year I'm sure.
Good advice Mike. Is your 1911 a 38super? just fits your name.

Nope, my 1911's are .45. The 38 is the number on my race bikes.

Over the weekend I got a chance to put on my new tires. The bike could be leaned over a lot more and riding off camber trails was good. I sure hate putting on tires. At least I didn't pinch a tube. My wife has a TTR125 and thankfully the tires on it are pretty good. I could see her comparing knobs on the tires

OLd tires handle like crap. The rubber really hardens up over the years and they will just slide on hard pack and are scary on pavement.