Reed Petal Replacement trouble

I am replacing the petals in my V Force 3 reeds. Have never taken this type of cage apart before... only one with screws.... how do I get the center petals out without destroying that plastic retainer bar on the way out?!! The instructions say to pry it out carefully with a small screwdriver. Really?! It just seems to scrap off plastic. I don't want to destroy these. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Use a small screwdriver to push the plastic retaining bar straight through... you are not really prying it out as much as pushing it through enough on one side to get it to release. You only need to push it less than ¼ of an inch and it will release on one side and can be removed my hand.

The hard part for me was getting the new retaining bar to click into place when reinstalling.

The replacement reed kit should come with a new retaining bar.

Thank you for the reply. If I had looked in the package I would have realized I didn't need to be so careful! In the end, I did tap them out by using a small punch. Seems like a much better design to not have screws that can fall in the engine. Bike runs much better now :ride:

Thanks again.