Long highway riding

What's a good speed to run a drzsm on the highway for longer trips say 1.5 hr + ? I feel like i am straining the bike at any thing over 65-70. Stock gearing by the way. Is running the bike this fast for so long bad for it?

Got a long trip home Tom is why I'm asking. Thanks

no. Your DRZ should be able to run near redline all day. 75mph is about 7500 rpm's with stock gearing. 2 hrs on the freeway are easier on your bike (in my opinion) then two hours offroad in the Florida sand.

65-70 mph all day won't hurt the bike at all, your stamina will be the limiting factor.

Okay good. Always get worried riding her fast on the highway. Now I won't worry as much.

Okay good. Always get worried riding her fast on the highway. Now I won't worry as much.

Can't remember where but I heard that running single cylinder ls at high rpm for sustained amounts of time is bad for them.

It's bad for the ones not designed well enough to take it. :ride:

You could always add a tooth on the C/S or drop 3 on the back if you are doing that much highway travel.

I'll put in a vote for my 39T rear JT sprocket. I love it for getting around the city on highways. 60-65 is easy and smooth.

every few weeks i ride my bike home from college. 4 hours there 4 back at 70 mph. your bike can be riden that fast all day, the limiting factor will be your backside.

I buy a bike to suit where I ride....it's the twisty mountain roads and occasional motard track day for the SM...and pure off road for the "Real E"...

If I was going to do the highway thing , I would add a road bike to the stable....

The DRZ400 is an all rounder/compromise bike...It will do most things ok , but it ain't no highway tourer...

It might be a good idea to do all the loctite fixes if your going to run it a hi rpm, thumpers are vibey.

I get the same feeling above 70,Like im going to blow up the motor.Now Im running a 38 tooth rear,much better on the highway.Still needs a 6th gear though LOL!

no. Your DRZ should be able to run near redline all day. 75mph is about 7500 rpm's with stock gearing. 2 hrs on the freeway are easier on your bike (in my opinion) then two hours offroad in the Florida sand.

Yep, the engine won't explode, but the problem with running near red line all day is that you will pay for it in engine wear/life.

I buy a bike to suit where I ride....it's the twisty mountain roads and occasional motard track day for the SM...and pure off road for the "Real E"...

If I was going to do the highway thing , I would add a road bike to the stable....

The DRZ400 is an all rounder/compromise bike...It will do most things ok , but it ain't no highway tourer...

A bit of sense...

FWIW, I reckon the DRZ is nothing but a bit of cheap fun.

every few weeks i ride my bike home from college. 4 hours there 4 back at 70 mph. your bike can be riden that fast all day, the limiting factor will be your backside.

Yeah that's what I do, ride back from college. It's mostly two lane back roads at 55-65 mph at 1.5 hrs. But dang 4 hours!!!!

But it wasn't too bad I played around with a few riding positions and found a good one where my toes are on the pegs, heels clipped on the sub frame and my elbows resting on my knees. Looks goofy but works pretty well.

Going to change over to mobil 20-50 next change and for the locktite fixes I have done the stator but haven't found a write up with pics for the cs, cb nut and the third one.

I'll put in a vote for my 39T rear JT sprocket. I love it for getting around the city on highways. 60-65 is easy and smooth.

Though about doing this, would I need to change the front as well and how is the loss of acceleration in town?

On my S converted to SM, I am running 15/39 gearing. I drive a 40 mile round trip for work. 15/41 revved the engine way to much for my liking. This current setup has made the commute more enjoyable at 60 to 65 mph. Stock chain length as well (110). I use a little more clutch from a stop but it is worth it to me. I adapt this bike to the environment. I will go back to a dirt trim and lower gearing for the trails. Very versatile bike in my opnion.

I drove my sm for 5 hours straight from st luis to indianapolis... no prob at all, just make sure you check everything before heading out. I would recommend earplugs for sure. as wogger said, you're limited bu your stamina

I drove my sm for 5 hours straight from st luis to indianapolis... no prob at all, just make sure you check everything before heading out. I would recommend earplugs for sure. as wogger said, you're limited bu your stamina

Yeah I tried out wearing head phones but the aren't very good and was still deaf when I got home. Wore the ear plugs forth ride back and was much better. Also found another riding position, recliner style with my legs on the front radiator guards and my backpack as a back rest. Not too shabby.

Now you are gonna end up on youtube.

I would add street bike to stable as many do. But I also believe that extended high rpm use is not that bad for your bike. They are designed pretty well and my lawn mower and pressure washer run wide open all the time. I really think they prefer it that way.

On a side note I think there is allready a video on here where a guy is laying on the seat and steering with his feet on the freeway. Its all out there.....