Sign in to follow this  

Do you need full side racks no matter what size saddle bags you get?

It's really dependent on what your needs are and what your budget is.

If you are planning to run errands and commute to work small bags may be fine (think rain suit storage). However, it you are looking to Moto-Camp or run to the grocery for food bigger bags may be your best bet.

Look at Dirt Bagz.

Also look at Wolfman Expedition Dry Bags.

There are several options located here at TCI Products.

You don't need the racks for the small ones but it will make your bags look better because they are supported and more upright.

Edited by vstromcharlie

No it doesn't. I occasionally go on wild camping trips with my DRZ E and as I have a short rear sub frame I simply use some throw over panniers with one strap over the seat.

It's no problem but you have to make sure you go for tall narrow panniers so they don't over hang your side panels too much at the rear.

Other than that they are fine.

DSCF1530.jpg

Mines the one at front in this picture.

DSCF1539.jpg

another E with simple set up

DSCF1546.jpg

You can also replace your lower side panel mounting bolts with some of these,

HW-Galvanised-Eyebolt-DIN580.jpg

and that will give you a lower fixing point for the panniers, although some types of pannier can be lower than these bolt holes. Some people then cut a hole inside the pannier and put a re-enforcing plastic or alloy plate in the pannier to help hold it to this fixing eyelet, which is very neat way of securing them.

http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/M6-Galvanised-Lifting-Eyebolt-DIN-580-WLL-70kgs-106-053-006

No it doesn't. I occasionally go on wild camping trips with my DRZ E and as I have a short rear sub frame I simply use some throw over panniers with one strap over the seat.

It's no problem but you have to make sure you go for tall narrow panniers so they don't over hang your side panels too much at the rear.

Other than that they are fine.

DSCF1530.jpg

What brand and model are those?

x2 on giantloop.com stuff $$$ but worth it!

and that will give you a lower fixing point for the panniers, although some types of pannier can be lower than these bolt holes. Some people then cut a hole inside the pannier and put a re-enforcing plastic or alloy plate in the pannier to help hold it to this fixing eyelet, which is very neat way of securing them.

http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/M6-Galvanised-Lifting-Eyebolt-DIN-580-WLL-70kgs-106-053-006

Wha?? Pics?

your exhaust gets to hot not to use racks.

nope, the securing strap on the exhaust side imo needs a mod thou.

i used an "I" bolt in the exhaust side passenger peg, but these are really slick.

I'd sooner use a backpack than saddlebags that are not properly secured.

What brand and model are those?

I can't remember the make, I bought them from fleabay last year and I did search previously but their manufacturer has no website or web presences at all.

Wha?? Pics?

Haven't got any as I haven't done this mod yet. Two of the other DRZ's in the pictures are running them but you really can't tell from the outside.

I'd sooner use a backpack than saddlebags that are not properly secured.

Yep, I was sceptical also. Mine were bouncing around a lot until I used some bungie cords to help secure them. After that they were fine, and we did some challenging lanes on those trips and the saddle bags survived just fine.

The only thing I'll modify for next time is a spacer/support on the exhaust side side panel. The standard tail pipe has this anyway but my DEP does not and the weight of saddle bag force the plastic to rub & melt a little.

My next bike/camping trip will be in a month so I'll take better pics while setting up my DRZ.:ride:

The part that troubles me about saddlebags that are not secured properly is that when everything gets pear shaped it is fairly easy to get tangled up in them.

Unless you plan on trips longer then a week I'd go with soft luggage. Dirtbagz are light weight easy to remove and IMO most for your money. $318 shipped for rack, luggage and top duffle bag.

Unless you plan on trips longer then a week I'd go with soft luggage. Dirtbagz are light weight easy to remove and IMO most for your money. $318 shipped for rack, luggage and top duffle bag.

Oh I only plan to go with soft luggage. I am just wondering If I should get the Happy Trails OSR rack and some saddlebags or the DirtBagz kit.

The Dirtbagz kit seems like an easy one shot deal, but I don't really love the look of them being taller than they are wide and seeming to sit so far forward on the bike.

I am wondering if I get the Happy Trails racks and something like these rectangular bags on Ebay if I'd get closer to what I want and maybe even end up paying less:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200614373121&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=110695437732&viewitem=&category=84146

I also like how both those bags have silver reflective bars that would match my OEM Suzuki tail bag:

231196_10150594025225247_757645246_18610032_6986050_n.jpg

QG7TD.jpg1nxUr.jpg