Brand new bike sounds like crap

So I installed the 55/158 jets that came in the mail today. Thankfully I was able to tilt the carb and install them without removing the carb. After I put it back together it fired right up. Instantly I noticed a big difference in the throttle response. it is much more smooth now with less popping. Took it for a spin around the block and it feels like the beast has been unleashed :ride: The only mod I have done besides the jets was the smog pump removal, did not drill slide or shim. And speaking of shimming the needle, could someone tell me the difference between shimming the needle and turning up the throttle stop screw? I'm no gearhead but it seems to me both of these would have the same outcome. I suspect the new uni air filter coming in the mail will help even more.

On a side note I noticed that the air screw was 1 3/4 turns out from the factory. I turned it to two turns out which is just on the other side of the nub thats stops the screw. so now i have almost a whole turn to play with to make adjustments...I shouldn't need to go under 2 turns with my jets right?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgraded ??

less...alot less H.P. and a smog motor to boot is an upgrade?

Sorry, better suspension I guess, so thats something.

Popping is usually one of two things, exhaust too free, pulling in cold air and igniting fuel in pipe, or unburned fuel going off from heat in exhaust. You my be able to richen it up enough that it cant light, of course too rich means power loss,