Gallagher head lake trails

Washington

This winter I was up at Gallagher snowmobiling ( north of lake cle elum) and noticed forest service signs that allowed motorcycles. Are these trails any good, or are just jeep trail type service roads to ride? I know the views are spectacular in the winter and would assume they are just as awesome in the summer. Are there any single track type trails near ronald or roslyn? I have been trying to scout out cabins and real estate which I would get the most use out of both the snowmobile and dirt bike season as well as hunting/ fishing.

Thanks! I can't wait to get up there this summer and check out some of these trails. Your link actually distinguishes the jeep trails and the cycle trails apart. Any excuse to stop in at the old #3 and The Brick! This may be the best area to get a cabin for all year use too.

The trail from DeRoux Camp to Gallagher Head and Gallagher Lake is one of my favorite rides.. But I've been riding Trials Motorcycles and Competition for 35 years if that means anything.

Then there is Boulder Creek Trail that also has a pretty good reputation. It works it's way to Gallagher Lake from the Salmon le Sac / Lake Cle Elum area.

Both trails have a fair amount of easy stuff mixed with short sections of Expert Stuff. However, as of last week when I checked, all of those trails are closed due to snow and / or the recent flood.

If you like more serious trails, the North side of I-90 is the Teanaway side and the South side of I-90 is the Taneum trail system. Taneum is generally mostly easy and faster trails while the Teanaway side is more advanced and technical....

Here is a view looking toward Gallagher Head and Lake. Gallagher Head is the peak left of center in the photo with the top cut off..

myotherbackyard.jpg

And here's a panorama photo from Gallagher Head looking back at the other spot, but it's big so I'll just post the link if you care to download it:

http://home.comcast.net/~jc-long/panorama/gallaherhead5.jpg

Edited by 2PLY

Teanaway and Gallagher Head offer some of the higher pucker factor trails in the state. I have a cabin at Cooper Lake above Salmon La Sac and those are my summer trails. As 2Ply said, small displacement bikes are a better bet. I also ride a trials bike and find it to be the most fun up there. I've ridden my Berg on some but I leave it at home now. Look at the contour lines on a topo map (check Jolly Creek). Many of the trails are rocky and off-camber, and several have BIG drop offs. These are some of the most advanced trails in the state, so bring your A-game!!

There is a picture on here somewhere of the 1392 trail I believe. It's pretty startling picture. I'm sure a few people know which picture I'm talking about.

Teanaway and Gallagher Head offer some of the higher pucker factor trails in the state. I have a cabin at Cooper Lake above Salmon La Sac and those are my summer trails. As 2Ply said, small displacement bikes are a better bet. I also ride a trials bike and find it to be the most fun up there. I've ridden my Berg on some but I leave it at home now. Look at the contour lines on a topo map (check Jolly Creek). Many of the trails are rocky and off-camber, and several have BIG drop offs. These are some of the most advanced trails in the state, so bring your A-game!!

There is a picture on here somewhere of the 1392 trail I believe. It's pretty startling picture. I'm sure a few people know which picture I'm talking about.

Wow, I think I will just stick to riding sleds there......

I guess I will just have to make sure know one seees me push my bike through the "high pucker" sections! :ride:

LOL...many sections are so narrow, you cannot even do that and must ride! Search teanaway on YouTube ....

I would like to request that we nix the Teanaway talk until the snow melts. It's like nails on a chalk board when you can't go ride it! :ride:

Don't be scared! There is other stuff up there. There are the Boulder Creek/Van Epps 4WD trails which aren't as bad. If you're legal there are lots of dirt roads to try out. However, I'm always trying to get people to try out trials bikes for stuff like this. If you start going down a trail in this area you may be stuck as there is no room to turn around. On a trials bike the trail becomes much more fun, plus you can do a wheelie turn if it's too much.

Down the road by Lake Cle Elum on the other side of the lake is Domerie Peak trail. I have yet to finish it due to snow, but I'm planning on making this the year. There are lots of logs on the trail because the USFS has chosen to leave them. This is a drag of a trail on a dirt bike due to the having to pull the bike over the logs, but it's a lot of fun on a trials bike. It's the one trail I've wished for a seat due to the long downhill coming back down. Shrub is doing it with me this year but he's begging, borrowing, or stealing a no-seat bike. I'm not helping him over logs this time. :ride:

Give the area a shot. You'll either be terrified and never come back or you'll realize that it's an awesome spot.

paging Pbryant...we are going this year

No way I am going someplace where you have to cross logs.

Shrub is doing it with me this year but he's begging, borrowing, or stealing a no-seat bike. I'm not helping him over logs this time. :ride:

OK, deal. I'll take the YZF but leave my seat at home this time to fit in better. :lol:

Bring the seat and leave it at the top so I can use it coming back down. :ride:

Don't be scared! There is other stuff up there. There are the Boulder Creek/Van Epps 4WD trails which aren't as bad. If you're legal there are lots of dirt roads to try out. . :thumbsup:

Give the area a shot. You'll either be terrified and never come back or you'll realize that it's an awesome spot.

I rode Fortune Creek 4x4 trail last weekend and will take a buddy back to do it this Saturday. (My wife makes me take her up to the lake every year in our 4x4 van to camp so I'm sort of familiar with the area from a 4x4 perspective) Thanks for the warning about 1392; That is the trail with the legnedary pictures? :ride:

I rate myself about a 55th percentile rider on a 450 that seems to fall over at inoppertune times. Can you recomend easier single track in that area? Fortune Creek is fun but it will be relatively quick, it's still snowed in midway thru the second section.

Thanks for any advice and thanks for letting me piggyback onto your thread.

FSridealong080.jpg

FSridealong051.jpg

FSridealong058.jpg

Nice area to poke around in.

Nice area to poke around in.

Last Sept.

Buddy met me and the fam on his DRZ, said he had a whole lot more respect for my van after seeing it get up Fortune Creek trail without breaking a sweat.:thumbsup:

IMG_2152k.jpg

Last Sept.

Buddy met me and the fam on his DRZ, said he had a whole lot more respect for my van after seeing it get up Fortune Creek trail without breaking a sweat.:thumbsup:

IMG_2152k.jpg

Awesome! I love it there!!!

I rode Fortune Creek 4x4 trail last weekend and will take a buddy back to do it this Saturday. (My wife makes me take her up to the lake every year in our 4x4 van to camp so I'm sort of familiar with the area from a 4x4 perspective) Thanks for the warning about 1392; That is the trail with the legnedary pictures? :thumbsup:

I rate myself about a 55th percentile rider on a 450 that seems to fall over at inoppertune times. Can you recomend easier single track in that area? Fortune Creek is fun but it will be relatively quick, it's still snowed in midway thru the second section.

Thanks for any advice and thanks for letting me piggyback onto your thread.

Tough to say. What isn't narrow with switchbacks and rocky is probably next to a gigantic dropoff, plus the creeks are boiling pretty good right now on the Teanaway trails.