Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

2011 TC/TE/SMR aesthetics.... why have I been betrayed?

A bit of background. I first fell in love with the husky design style in 2006 when I saw one in the dealer window. It sat there looking unlike any other bike I had ever seen, sleek yet strong, angular yet smooth, functional but full of excess. Quite simply I had to have one.

So here we are in 2011 and I've owned four huskies and loved each one as if it was my own child. All of these had the distinct aesthetic look that the 2006-2010 models shared. I loved the angular bullseye outline of the front shrouds and the triangular separation of the rear number plates mixed with the trapezoidal shape of the rear fender. I liked the way the engine was held up just enough by the frame without being overly crowded in by the carb/EFI. There was no excess of shiny bolt heads on the cases, no odd lines to break up the visual flow.

I ****ing loved the shape of the bike is what I'm saying! And to be honest I think the redesigned 2011 TC/TE/SMR (not including the WR which look like the 2010 models) frames and plastics look like shiat. I can't see myself buying one until they get a new look. I'm set to buy an almost new 09 SMR450 to add to the stable because I can't imagine forking over the cash for one of these bastardized new designs. I am sure the engines and suspension and all the other great improvements are totally worth the money but the look of the bikes just isn't the same anymore. :lol:

Functionally, they're still great bikes of course and this shouldn't make anyone else not want to purchase one, but... personal aesthetics and years of adoration are what I'm talking about. Ugghh I feel let down after all those years of love. :ride:

Agree? Disagree?

A bit of background. I first fell in love with I can't imagine forking over the cash for one of these bastardized new designs. I am sure the engines and suspension and all the other great improvements are totally worth the money but the look of the bikes just isn't the same anymore. :lol:

Functionally, they're still great bikes of course and this shouldn't make anyone else not want to purchase one, but... personal aesthetics and years of adoration are what I'm talking about. Ugghh I feel let down after all those years of love. :lol:

Agree? Disagree?

Totally AGREE! I couldn't have said it better myself! The 2005-2010 SMR,TE 450/510 should be collected in my opinion. The best damn bikes ever made and the race wins behind those bikes back up what I'm saying. :ride:

i have to agree... i think the bikes that have had a bit of BMW influence tend to be a bit soulless. graphics are lame, that goofball front fender has to go. do like the technology in the CS design with the rear suspension. just hard to get excited about a kymco built engine. :ride::ride:

Looks are important to a certain degree but if I had to make a choice between a

bike that I knew was better all around performance wise but looked a little funky, I,

personally, would choose performance over looks. That's not to say that the 2011

Husky's are better all around performers because I don't own one therefore I'm not

qualified to make that distinction but hypetheticely speaking I would choose performance

before looks.

I agree, the legacy bikes are some of the best-looking bikes ever. That said, the new look is growing on me. I initially recoiled in horror, but I've grown to at least accept it, if not love it yet. The new platform seems to be killing it in SM also, as I would expect it to with reports of amazing hook-up. If you already have legacy Huskies (excellent term, coined by T-Dub) why not try the new platform, maybe it will grow on you and you'll love the performance??

Completely agree. The husky lineup went from (in my opinion of course) the best looking lineup to the worst looking lineup in one model year. The new 630 might be the ugliest of the bunch, but the new 449/511 sure ain't pretty either. That said, there's NO WAY the styling of a bike would deter me from buying one.

Disagree !

Betrayed you say?

Looks like Shiite?

No man, that’s the look the other brands are going for, not Husky

I too don’t think the new ones look as good as the pre German guidance but still, they’re far from being Shiite looking....more KTaMish if you ask me...:lol:

As long as BMW keep the older models parts flowing, like for my 08 610 for example, I’m happy....:lol:

:ride:

As the owner of 3 '04 Huskies, I felt betrayed when they changed the styling in 2005.

and cannot be replaced by this "updated" BMW G450X motorcycle with Husky emblems IMO.

Oh my god, you're exactly right. That's what it reminds me of! :ride:

sigh. I miss the legacy. Luckily I have the ones I love in my garage :lol:

parts you say ?? lets hope that situation gets better...

I've yet to have an issue with getting parts for any husky in the last 5 years. What are you referring to? Seems this is a topic that a lot of new husky owners are bringing up all too often. Perhaps people just don't know where to look.

Agreee!

Bit I got myself a Husky 630 last year ... just no alternative.

And its supposed to be a great bike! I'd think the KTM 690 would be an alternative, but the lack of frame rails below the engine sure makes me nervous* and I'd take the Husky's pterodactyl front end over that headache.

*zero experience with either bike and this is probably an unreasonable fear.

Separated at birth? (from one of my favorite movies as a young kid)

Petrie_2.jpg

630.jpg

Who was it that said "She ain't pretty but you should see her dance"?

I thought it was...."see her box?":lol:

Compare the te449 with the ktm 350 sxf.Very much the same really

I totally agree with you guys.

I much prefer the look of my 2010 TE 510 than the new TE 511. I had a look at one and thought there were some plastic parts missing near the tail end where the air intake is.

Sure it may be technologically advanced but so is the new Lexus LFA, and if I had that kind of money I'd be buying something with style as well as performance.

There is nothing else as sexy out there as the 2007-2010 Huskies in my opinion.

You don't look at the mantlepiece when you are stoking the fire. Just enjoy the ride!

I wonder if your Husky thinks here comes that ugly bastard again to throw a leg over me. But i agree the 449 and 511 aint sexy like the 05 to 10 models.

It was yr 1 of the new 450 models ... Husky might wanna tread carefully before they change the good looks of the 250\310\125 models that most all Husky riders seem to enjoy ....