Sign in to follow this  

CRF150 vs CRF230

Hey guys :ride: I have an 03 xr100r and am looking to upgrade next year. I need some more power for the sand and am trying to decide between the 150 and 230. Can anyone who has riden both give me some comparisons? I sat on the 230 today and seems massive to me but I'm worried about getting the 150 and still wanting more power?

When I went from 150 to 230 I kept dumping my 230 all over the place and breaking stuff on the bike :ride:

For sand I would NOT want a 150. How tall are you though?

I'm 5'4'' :ride: 230 is like twice my weigt lol....I need to get some arm strength to pick that beast up :lol: I do like that it smooshes down when I sat on it unlike the 250

Im 5.9 175 pounds, had my 2006 150 for 3 months and just sold it, i just now picked up a 2009 230, the 230 is SOOOOO much better for me, i really love it.

IMHO, i think you should just get the 230, as its not that much bigger then the 150, but offers alot more power, and feels more stable,

the 150 i really liked too, but just do it right from the begining, so you wont have to sell the 150 in a few months like i did and get a 230.

I wish i wouldve done that from the begining.

good luck.

Im 5.9 175 pounds, had my 2006 150 for 3 months and just sold it, i just now picked up a 2009 230, the 230 is SOOOOO much better for me, i really love it.

Bud 40lbs can make a world of difference to a woman. Plus the 230s length and height reduce her leverage. Just my .02

Punch the 150 out to a 175cc bike! Get the crf150f

Edited by The goat
Misspell

I taught a girl who was 5'3" to ride my 230. She was an epic quick learner and although the 230's height and weight was pushing it, I think she would have been fine in the long run.

The important part of a bike is the handling though, you can't deny that. If the 230's weight and height are going to be slowing you down then go for the 150.

Like the comment above said, you can always make a 150 as powerful as, or more powerful than, a 230.

150 is lighter and better handling.... better power to weight and can be modded cheaply...

230 is a fun bike too.... but boy o boy do they need a power boost...

HondaGirly....at your height, you can probably ride a Kawasaki KX100 (water-cooled 2 stroke), Suzuki RM100 (water-cooled 2 stroke), Honda CRF150R Expert (Big Wheel - water-cooled 4 stroke), CR85RB (Big Wheel - water-cooled 2 stroke), RM85L (Big Wheel - water-cooled 2 stroke) or CRF150F (air cooled 4 stroke). All of these bikes have 19" front wheels and 16" rear wheels like you currently have on your XR100, but they have significantly more suspension travel.

In my opinion the CRF230F will be too tall and too heavy for you to ride (21" front/18" rear wheel and 238 lbs-dry weight)

My kids starting riding on an XR80, CRF100F, CRF150F. They have now moved up to YZ85, KX100 and WR250F. So, I have ridden or test rode a lot of the bikes I mentioned above. With the exception of the CRF150F, all the bikes listed above are motocross bikes with great suspensions (compared to the XR100) and close ratio transmissions for racing on the track. They also have about 3 times the horsepower of your XR100 (27-28 hp vs. 9 hp). The CRF150F is the next step up from the XR100/CRF100F and has about 4 more HP than your current bike.

My daughter who is 5' 4" and about 110 lbs learned on the CRF100F and could ride her brother's CRF150F at the time we upgraded her to the Kawasaki KX100. There is no comparison between these two as the CRF150F is MUCH heavier (223 lbs dry weight 13 HP) and a lot less power than the KX100 (150 lbs dry weight 28 HP).

If you are seeking more power in a small package, you likely aren't going to be satisfied with the upgrade to a CRF150F (at least not for long), you will think the CRF230F is too big and heavy and offers not that much more power over the CRF150F.

Unfortunately at your size you may have to make some compromises to get more power and the smaller framed bikes. Not sure what type of riding you do, but you can add flywheel weights and change out the front/rear sprockets to change the gearing ratios to make any of these MX bikes more trailworthy.

Thank you SO much for all of the advice!!! I. Got so much more than expected and its all very helpful. :ride: u guys r awesome. Whenever. I upgrade ill post up pics of the new beast whichever one it is.

HondaGirly....at your height, you can probably ride a Kawasaki KX100 (water-cooled 2 stroke), Suzuki RM100 (water-cooled 2 stroke), Honda CRF150R Expert (Big Wheel - water-cooled 4 stroke), CR85RB (Big Wheel - water-cooled 2 stroke), RM85L (Big Wheel - water-cooled 2 stroke) or CRF150F (air cooled 4 stroke). All of these bikes have 19" front wheels and 16" rear wheels like you currently have on your XR100, but they have significantly more suspension travel.

In my opinion the CRF230F will be too tall and too heavy for you to ride (21" front/18" rear wheel and 238 lbs-dry weight)

My kids starting riding on an XR80, CRF100F, CRF150F. They have now moved up to YZ85, KX100 and WR250F. So, I have ridden or test rode a lot of the bikes I mentioned above. With the exception of the CRF150F, all the bikes listed above are motocross bikes with great suspensions (compared to the XR100) and close ratio transmissions for racing on the track. They also have about 3 times the horsepower of your XR100 (27-28 hp vs. 9 hp). The CRF150F is the next step up from the XR100/CRF100F and has about 4 more HP than your current bike.

My daughter who is 5' 4" and about 110 lbs learned on the CRF100F and could ride her brother's CRF150F at the time we upgraded her to the Kawasaki KX100. There is no comparison between these two as the CRF150F is MUCH heavier (223 lbs dry weight 13 HP) and a lot less power than the KX100 (150 lbs dry weight 28 HP).

If you are seeking more power in a small package, you likely aren't going to be satisfied with the upgrade to a CRF150F (at least not for long), you will think the CRF230F is too big and heavy and offers not that much more power over the CRF150F.

Unfortunately at your size you may have to make some compromises to get more power and the smaller framed bikes. Not sure what type of riding you do, but you can add flywheel weights and change out the front/rear sprockets to change the gearing ratios to make any of these MX bikes more trailworthy.

I have a freind that is 39 yrs old, she weights about 115 lbs and is about 5'5" and rides a CR150R. That bike has great power for trail riding and does awesome in the sand and that is all in stock form other than the spark arrestor added to the stock exhaust.

150 is lighter and better handling.... better power to weight and can be modded cheaply...

230 is a fun bike too.... but boy o boy do they need a power boost...

??? 230 is quite a bit faster than a 150F. I have owned several of both...

Honda Girlie - On the 230 you can lower it quite a bit by trimming the seat... It is more of a "full size" bike though.

I can't stress enough going for a bike with an electric start if you're going to be riding in sand. If you dump it, and you're between whoops, you'll have to push it to the top of a whoop to crank it - tiring after you do it a few times. Electric start will elminate you having to kick and kick a bike that might be flooded from being dropped... so get the 06 or newer 150 or any year 230.

Just my two cents.

Mikeee P

I rode a friends wifes 230 and found it had about the same acceleration as my 150. She is 5'0" and finds the 230's size quite intimidating. It may have had a higher top speed, I didn't test that. I ride in woods and like the lighter more compact handling of the 150. When I found my bike used if it were a 230 I would have gotten it.

My 150 is kick start only. If you stall it on hill or some off camber setting the E-start would be great.

My 150 is an 05 and hers was an 09 I think. Perhaps her's was not broke in.

Edited by lump_tha_thump

For sand, I'd stick w/ a 4 stroke engine. They work better for slow riders having to navigate through deep, soft sand. And like mikeep said, get one w/ elec start.

IT's much harder to p/up a bike in soft sand b/c the ground moves out from under your feet. So you have to use lots of upper body strength. Lifting one bike out of sand is like lifting two bikes. You'll be all spent, and will love that button.

I managed to lower my crf230f 2" lower just by replacing the swingarm linkage with an aftermarket linkage made for that bike (DEVOL lowering link), and sliding the forks higher above the triple clamps. That, plus shaving 1" of foam off the seat will definitely get you as low, if not lower than any 150f. Don't worry too much about how it weighs, b/c when you get the bike that low, your chances of dropping it is cut by 1/2.

HondaGirly, you've already gotten good replies, but I'll throw in my opinion as well.

I own both a CRF150 (2003) and a CRF230 (2006) and like you, I was coming off an XR100, and (almost) like you, I am 5'3".

My husband really wanted me to buy a CRF230 back in 2003, but it really did feel massive and very very intimidating. I am NOT a naturally talented rider and so opted for the smaller CRF150. I rode that bike for years and was very happy with it, but I will say that it fatigued me to ride it over miles and miles of trails like we do.

I had a chance to ride a really roached-out 230 in Florida back in 2008 and loved it anyway, lol. I promptly went home and found one on eBay (in primo condition though!). I LOVE IT. But, I will say by the time I bought it, my riding skills were much much better and so the transition was easy.

This year we rejetted the 230 to give it more power and my husband re-worked the throttle to make it tighter, more responsive. We have not lowered it and have no intentions of doing so. I find because I can't touch the ground easily, it does keep my feet on the pegs more, which isn't a bad thing, lol.

I don't ride a lot in sand, but I do much better on the 230 vs the 150. The 230 is still pretty squirrely though in sand, IMO. The bigger tires go over rocks, bumps, etc much better than the 150s, less wear and tear on the body. Electric start is nice although if I dump it, hubby usually has pick it up and start it. It is a heavy bike. Big incentive NOT to drop it, lol.

I don't regret for a minute buying the CRF150 back in 2003. For ME, it was totally the right decision. I needed it to better my riding skills and don't feel I could have done it on a bike I was scared to ride. Not everyone can make the transition to (nearly) full-sized bike from a mini bike. If you do buy a CRF150 though (or any other smaller bike), I wouldn't be suprised if you do end up on a larger bike, but it might be a few years down the road.

HondaGirly.....saw your videos of you jumping on your XR/CRF100F on another thread. If you want to do jumping (which is fine), you really want to steer toward the MX bikes that have some suspension travel and stay away from the air cooled trail bikes. While they are good for their purpose, jumping on them is not the best idea.

You should focus on:

KX100

KTM105

KTM 85 Big Wheel

CR85RB

CRF150RB

RM100

RM85L

For the kind of riding you are looking to do, I think these will be your best bet.

HondaGirly.....saw your videos of you jumping on your XR/CRF100F on another thread. If you want to do jumping (which is fine), you really want to steer toward the MX bikes that have some suspension travel and stay away from the air cooled trail bikes. While they are good for their purpose, jumping on them is not the best idea.

You should focus on:

KX100

KTM105

KTM 85 Big Wheel

CR85RB

CRF150RB

RM100

RM85L

For the kind of riding you are looking to do, I think these will be your best bet.

Thank u! Yea I was really annoyed by the sales guy telling me I should go for the 230 "because its not like ur hitting jumps or tabletops" um I'm not? Haha that's what I'm tryin to do! I'm not that good but damn its fun! I think ill throw by 100 around for awhile and check out the crf150rb/ktm105

Why not buy a 230F, and get a 150F swinger, linkage, and front end off of Ebay. Then lace up 16/19 inch wheels to the stock hubs-- I saw a set of 150F rims on Ebay too. That way you cold have the small/shortness of the 150F-- with the power of the 230 w/o getting into motor mods.

I'm thinking about doing this exact thing for my GF. I have two 150F's-- but they are kickstart models that I use in the pit bike races-- and she can't start them. All the power up mods have been done, which makes them start more easily. It just takes some finesse I guess. Everybody that has tried other than me, has had a problem starting the bikes for some reason.

I've never ridden a 230, but I've heard that it isn't much more powerful than the 150. The main reason I would do the conversion is to get the Estart. I've heard that it feels even heavier than the 150. I don't really notice the weight of the 150 when I'm riding it. But if I crash, or put it on the stand-- it's noticeable! A 150R would be a great bike, but a KX100 (I have one also, and I've had a 150R before) may be a handful w/o a flywheel weight. It's really peaky even with the powervalve. --L*64