Sign in to follow this  

marketing an idea?

So sitting around tonight drinking a brew and I had an epiphany relating to a completely untapped market potential regarding pit bikes. Straight forward and easily fabricated "thing"(s). So I spent the last 4 hours researching this and it appears no one has ever done it! I'm actually kinda shocked.

So how does one proceed with something like this?

make them sign a confidentially statement prior to divulging any info?

Thanks for the info pantaz. I'm also thinking those "investors kits" are a scam.

I'm thinking preferably I can sell this "idea" to the right firm/business.

I guess first things first I need to go get busy in the shop dinking around, and make a proto to show potential investors.

The first thing to do if you are serious about this is to stop dinking around on TT asking legal questions and seek the professional advice of a patent attorney.

It will be the best money you ever spend when bringing a new idea/product to market.

Anything anyone else tells you is pure speculation.

Good luck with it :ride:

The first thing to do if you are serious about this is to stop dinking around on TT asking legal questions and seek the professional advice of a patent attorney.

It will be the best money you ever spend when bringing a new idea/product to market.

Agreed, lawyer up. And also document everything you do with pictures and dates. Lock it up.

Edited by PigP3n

Agreed, lawyer up. And also document everything you do with pictures and dates. Lock it up.

So the thing is, I doubt that it would be worth my time to hire a patent attorney for this. It's probably worth about 10k, not millions. Gross sales from this would probably be close to 100k annually though, with a low overhead. For the right company they would do well, probably making somewhere around 75k. It's not an invention so to speak but something a little different. Maybe if no-one is interested I'll eventually post some pics and you guys can all :lol: at my feet and tell me how sick of an idea I had.lol

Thanks for the advice though:thumbsup:

I might be having false memories, but for some reason I thought James Dean used to post on TT and is the same guy with the JD kits now? Well, my TT attendance was pretty spotty for some years while I was on 2T---so this might be like one of those mis-heard song lyrics.

I figure others may have piloted things on TT...still I have to agree with the attorney angle***maybe your $$ projections are low and turns out you could really profit on this if approached correctly. One of the biggest components in this is your own belief in its success.

Did i miss something, or did you not mention what it is? (And i certainly understand why you would keep quiet) If it's a sreet legal pit bike, i already thought of it, lol. Now that would be a moped!

look up an intellectual property attorney......aka patent atty. call them, the phone call won't cost you a dime and they will tell you to come in or not.

Did i miss something, or did you not mention what it is? (And i certainly understand why you would keep quiet) If it's a sreet legal pit bike, i already thought of it, lol. Now that would be a moped!

LOL, You think I'm going to squeak? No they already have light kits. That's like so 2002.

I might be having false memories, but for some reason I thought James Dean used to post on TT and is the same guy with the JD kits now? Well, my TT attendance was pretty spotty for some years while I was on 2T---so this might be like one of those mis-heard song lyrics.

I figure others may have piloted things on TT...still I have to agree with the attorney angle***maybe your $$ projections are low and turns out you could really profit on this if approached correctly. One of the biggest components in this is your own belief in its success.

You might be right about JD not sure though, I have faith in what I thought of. Honestly I can't believe somebody somewhere hasn't done it already. I can find no patent information about it, and after relentless hours searching the net I've yet to find an example. It would have a large market base. Like I said sales would probably be around 100k annually.

look up an intellectual property attorney......aka patent atty. call them, the phone call won't cost you a dime and they will tell you to come in or not.

Maybe I'll talk to some of them. I already have a "entity" that is willing to take it and go but they take 50% of whatever the end settlement is. I don't know if I want to go that route. The only nice part about this is they are reliable and will fund any and all attorneys necessary along the way. So I really don't have to do anything other than sit back and relax.