Sign in to follow this  

Son to big for 150 Expert?

My 13 yr old is about 5-8 and 160 lbs, I m concerned he'll get hurt on a 250 x or r so was thinking a 150 r expert, he rode one and loved it. He has the skill for the 150 but concerned he is to big or will be to big soon...does it seem like he is to big for the 150 expert?

Sounds about perfect sized to me. You may have to do some adjustment to the suspension and bars to get him comfortable but he's no where near to big for one.

It seems most of the 150RB owners around here are full grown adults.

hes to big, im 5'11 and im fourteen when i got my klx125l when i was 12 i was 5'6 in a year i was to tall for it, and the crf150rb is only a lil bigger i say get him a 250x or 250r and tell him to take it slow for a day or two, honestly my dad thought the same thing when i was 13 before i got my kx250f until i was 5'9 and i hopped on his friends yz250 ur son should be fine for a 250 he just has to take it slow

I'm in the same boat. I'm heading up today to the dealership to see how the 150rb fits, and if it's a little small then I'll most likely make use of items such as a BBR linkage kit, and maybe a tall seat. I suspect it will raise the seat height from 34 inches to around 37 inches, and the seat-peg distance by almost 2 inches.

I don't want my son getting on a 250, either. My best friend's son just got hurt on one. From my point of view, a 150 has a little bit more forgiveness than a big 250f.

My son's 5'9" and 160lbs, and he rode a '07 CR85r up until a couple weeks back, so I'm sure the increased size of the expert will be quite an improvement.

Im 5ft 8......113 lbs....and i ride it. I can pretty much man handle that thing. Id get a 250.

it's really personal preference, but id say he's too big. stock suspension will be too soft for a track

I'm of the opinion that your son is already too big for the 150 expert... my boy's 5'4" and he's already growing out of his... he's getting my much beloved YZ to ride next season. Unless you are dead-set on a 4 stroke, I'd look at a 125... they rock!

Get him the 250, I put my dad through hell teling him the 150rb was too small for me and once it showed up at my house he understood. I'm 5'11 145 and I have a crf250r and love it. Had it for about 3 months and i'm 14. Trust me, the 250 is the way to go.

I don't want my son getting on a 250, either. My best friend's son just got hurt on one. From my point of view, a 150 has a little bit more forgiveness than a big 250f.

My son's 5'9" and 160lbs, and he rode a '07 CR85r up until a couple weeks back, so I'm sure the increased size of the expert will be quite an improvement.

That's a safe way to look at it, if you don't mind buying bikes as he grows / gets older. He will grow out of that 150 fairly quickly.

The full size bikes are not more dangerous. Sometimes they are safer and more forgiving than a smaller bike.

The worst crash I ever had was on a Suzuki RM80. Had I been on a larger bike, I wouldn't have even crashed at all.

The sooner you move into the full size bikes, the sooner you will be used to them. Because eventually, we all get there anyway.

The 250f can be lowered some, and those engines are not scary at all.

If he can fit on it, he should be on it.

:ride:

I'm only 5' 10", and I weigh 155 pounds. I used to ride a 2000 Honda CR500 with a paddle tire at the California sand dunes for years.

Most powerful bike they make. Safety is all about CONTROL, and riding within your own limits.

Respect the machine, and be safe. Don't show-off, or take chances. Ride within your own limits, and have fun!

That's what it's all about.

It's a great bike but, in my opinion, it's too small for your son. My son is approx 115Lbs and 5'5" - he will finish the season on this bike but he really ought to be on a 250. Just my $.02 CDN :ride: