dealers forget the simplest things....

hey guys, just a bit of a story that im sure most have heard, but hey, may as well say er again? gives everybody something to do,

basically my cuzns bf had a 08 YZ450F didnt change oil, often enough,? timing chain got stiff and skipped a tooth on the camshaft, so he traded the bike in for a 2010 fuel injected yz450f,

NOW the dealer with that 08 Yz450f takes it apart, new piston rings, valve seals, timing chain, blah blah, puts it back together, and puts it on the lot,

My friend buys it, we bring it back to my place, and i thought, i wonder if its a aftermarket air filter, what do i find? AIR FILTER WAS OFF! not even tightened on, just sitting there in the box, and we were about to go riding too! :ride:

so i let the guy who owns the dealer, he says wow thats odd,....

Tonight its time to change oil after a few rides, what do i discover? they changed his BIKES OIL with out cleaning the oil filteR! infact them bolts were so hard to get off, it was twisting my long allen key, so out comes the allen key socket set, wow...... what do i find? a Re-usable oil filter that has CHUNKS of metal scrapings and such pretty much clogging this oil filter, im thinking WOW they change the oil but did not even THINK after fixing a bike with such troubles to change or clean the oil filter??

in either case, im thinking WOW really? engine had troubles, they put oil in but didnt look at the filter, the filter its self is a metal mesh one, you blow air through em and they are almost like new..... but wow because they didnt put the air filter on when they would of seen it OFF when putting seat on, then they didnt touch the oil filter..... im thinking the guys workers there in the shops really dont know what they are doing......?

And that is my rant! love it or hate it, i just felt to put this out there

dealer mechanics get paid shop rate to do a job based on how many hours the shop manual says it should take. If a job says it takes 2 hours to complete, that is what the mechanic gets paid for.. if they can do it in LESS time they effectively make more per hour of actual work, and many will CUT CORNERS to do so.. FInd a GOOD mechanic that works on thier own, or a dealer mechanic that does side work at home. Few GOOD mechanics will work at a dealership.. The good ones will either be at a specialty shop or work independently.

FInd a GOOD mechanic that works on thier own, or a dealer mechanic that does side work at home. Few GOOD mechanics will work at a dealership.. The good ones will either be at a specialty shop or work independently.

ha ha yep, im a independant mechanic, im young but shit, i cant believe how they forgot all that!, just gives my friend more of a reason to get me to be the one to work on his bike rather than anybody else ha ha, i mean i already do for the most part but yeah, sad stuff

It’s unfortunate these things happen now and then. Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s I worked as a lead mechanic. Having a dozen or so bikes in various states of repair is a daunting task. The service techies, who want to help, tell you they know how to this and that, you believe them, but they don’t know how to do it….. No one’s perfect. Heck I’ve even made a few blunders on TT!! It’s just a big bummer when it happens to you.

Best to learn and do maintenance and basic service on your own bike. If your not comfortable rebuilding, then sell after a few years of riding and buy new.

no they did rebuild it, i got a complete list of the items they bought, all on 1 paper as the original receipt of parts ordered, and buying a used bike is not a bad thing,

infact buying used saves alot of money, not everybike is ratbagged,

i would of gotten that bike off the guy b4 the dealer got its hands on, but my friend wasnt sure if he could get the money so i didnt bother, parts were like 300$, labour like 900$.... im thinking damn, such a easy job and they charged alot,

me, ill probably never buy new unless i have ALOT of money, im the guy who waits a year or 2, :ride: and gets a great deal,

but really, its not so much a "dealer" its selfs fault, its the workers, i know the guy who owns the dealer, hes a good guy, a familly friend, he doesnt cut corners, but just because he is a good guy, dont mean his employees are, oh well ha ha, (ranting some more)

This kind of stuff makes me nervous about bring my bike to the dealer to get work down. i have never had to take it to the dealer for work before because the bike is farley new and i havent had it that long (nothing had to be done with it that i couldnt do myself). However, i am wanting to get my bike rejetted but it wouldnt suprise me if the dealer did anything with it and just gave it back to me the way it was without doing anything. thats why i think i will bring it to my uncles buddy to do it. Also, when you bring a bike in to be serviced, everything greased up, valves checked etc, do you think they actually do the stuff? or do they do all of it, its something to think about. what do you guys think?

This kind of stuff makes me nervous about bring my bike to the dealer to get work down. i have never had to take it to the dealer for work before because the bike is farley new and i havent had it that long (nothing had to be done with it that i couldnt do myself). However, i am wanting to get my bike rejetted but it wouldnt suprise me if the dealer did anything with it and just gave it back to me the way it was without doing anything. thats why i think i will bring it to my uncles buddy to do it. Also, when you bring a bike in to be serviced, everything greased up, valves checked etc, do you think they actually do the stuff? or do they do all of it, its something to think about. what do you guys think?

I think you should get a service manual for your bike, some tools, and start doing all the stuff you listed yourself. None of it is all that hard. Jetting has been hashed and rehashed dozens of times here on the forum, manual will tell you exactly how to check and adjust your lifters, how to get to the swingarm/linkage/steering head bearings, torque specs for everything, all you would need to know to do anything needing doing.

Then you'll know for a fact it's been done, and done right.