Outer Fork Tubes (what to do???)

So I bought a 2006 CRF450R and the fork tubes showed signs of corrosion. I left them as is planning on fixing it when the fork seals needed to be replaced. Well that time has come. Forks are torn apart and I took the uppers to work and removed all corrosion and applied Alodine. I did not take away much metal to the point that I am confident in their integrity. I primed them just to see how they look. All smooth with no noticable flat spots where corrosion was removed.

Now for my question. What color should I paint them? I was thinking flat black but am unsure at this point. Opinions welcome. I won't powder coat them or anodize them. I would at some point like to come across some stock ones, but at this point cannot afford to buy new or a set of full used one's off e-bay. All my funds go toward my son's KTM and his racing at this time. This 450 is just for me to fool around on when he takes a break from riding. So again any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks and have a great day.

Elpato

Thanks Shawn_Mc for the opinion and the helpful tips on the sticky on top of the CRF forum. Am using it to re-build my forks. I will definately look into the anodizing but it will have to be down the road as I have a deployment soon and am focusing on my son's KTM more than this bike. I put some really thick aircraft grade primer sanded primed again and am now using a flexible type of rim paint that resist's nicks very well. I am not a track rider (scared to jump) just putt around on some trails and a small track when I want to show my son something he is not doing right. I may get flamed but honestly this 2006 450 is the only bike I could find on this island that wasn't $1,000+ over KBB. It is absolutely crazy here. Again thanks Shawn for the comment and help you give on this website.

Elpato

Alodine will turn your forks a shade of gold similar to the color they are stock depending on the strength of it and how long you leave it on! Make sure to get all of the excess off and wear gloves! That is some dangerous stuff! It will be absorbed right through your skin!

Joe

I'm not sure how much it cost, but mine were sent off to get anodized....

DSCN0823.jpg

Definitely wouldn't paint them if you have any other options!

Those are not anodized fork legs...they are Kashima Coated..

If you have to coated the forks legs get them hard coated....not anodized or powder coated...

theDogger:thumbsup:

Those are not anodized fork legs...they are Kashima Coated..

If you have to coated the forks legs get them hard coated....not anodized or powder coated...

theDogger:thumbsup:

You're right, they are Kashima coated... I forgot.

Ok so thanks again for all the opinions. My final that I ended up with was paint (minus fork triple area) Following that I will wrap my fork arms in vinyl coating. It is the same stuff they make the sticker kits out of. I have an infinite amount available, so if I need to take it off to remove the forks again in the future that will not be a problem. The re-pack come out great thanks again to Shawn_MC and everyone else that posted slide pics on the fork seal relacement thread. Saved ALOT of money and now my forks look great and I can ride again. Now on to my son's KTM. That is a money eater if ever there was one. But an awesome bike none the less. You guys and gals have a great one.