Sign in to follow this  

Can a modern 450 run 3 hours without oil????

I know this sounds ridiculous, but there is a story on the Dirt Rider website ("Bad luck strikes the RMZ 450") where the author, a DR test rider, claims that he forgot to add oil after draining it, and the bike ran for 3.3 hours before grinding to a halt. Is that even possible? I can see the bike running for a few minutes, but hours!?!?

Seems like they used to try that on some of those TV ads back in the 1990's or earlier. I imagine the ads were something like "Results not typical" or "Your results may vary." But I sure do want some of whatever brand that was at DR if it can do that.

Went over and read the article. There ain't any way it's going to run 3 hours with no oil in it. Unless he done a piss poor job of draining it, and stuck the drain plug back in with half the old oil still in the motor (which I suspect is the case), it would have seized in just a few minutes of actual riding with NO oil in it. It would have been making a lot of racket before it locked up too.

Takes a serious case of ADD (or some really good weed) to make someone forget to put oil in their motor during a change.:ride:

No way 30 minutes, let alone 3 + hours. I would imagine damage would start after five minutes, cam journals would go, followed by the piston and big end bearing. Full lock up by 15, but you'd have to want to ruin it as the engine would of lost all power and be screaming in agony.

I have a theory.. on my YZ450 when I change my oil all I drain out is a quart, and I put a quart back in.. but the spec in my manual shows that the full oil capacity is.. I wanna say 1.27 quarts? so, in the case of my YZ, would that .27 of a quart keep it alive for a little while..? my YZ is the only MX thumper I've owned, but I'm gonna guess it's not just YZs that are like that.

i ran a new CR125 without tranny oil hard for 20min moto before a bearing seized. cant imagine a 4 stroke running for over 3hrs, must of been riding easy or had alot residual oil in the engine.

I have a theory.. on my YZ450 when I change my oil all I drain out is a quart, and I put a quart back in.. but the spec in my manual shows that the full oil capacity is.. I wanna say 1.27 quarts? so, in the case of my YZ, would that .27 of a quart keep it alive for a little while..? my YZ is the only MX thumper I've owned, but I'm gonna guess it's not just YZs that are like that.

Maybe, it depends if the pickup for the pump could gather that much oil..

My take on it is simple. A lot of guys would say "Yeah, I want whatever oil that guy was using because his bike ran without it for such and such a length of time without it." STOP RIGHT THERE. I have read countless times on TT of guys who said the oil tank bolt or drain bolt backed out, fell out, or they forgot to more than finger tighten it or whatever. Point is, in those threads that I read, they said the bike just suddenly died in or out of a turn. Now some claim they restarted their bike, and it died after another lap, and it was usually in or out of a corner. Most guys got off the seat, took a look under their bike and found why their bike died on them, and luckily sometimes with minimal if any damage to the motor because they didn't restart it. Now if the bike can continue to run with very minimal oil because both the tank bolt and drain bolt are still there, it would be intriguing to know why that would even be relevant to the fact that damage over a period of time will become audible to even a deaf person when the bike is that low on oil. I would rather have my bike die instantly, other than continuing to run on next to no oil, and cause more damage.

Edited by nokickstandsallowed
Clarification.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but there is a story on the Dirt Rider website ("Bad luck strikes the RMZ 450") where the author, a DR test rider, claims that he forgot to add oil after draining it, and the bike ran for 3.3 hours before grinding to a halt. Is that even possible? I can see the bike running for a few minutes, but hours!?!?

i read some kind of weird reliability test in one of the street bike mags where they drained the oil and coolant from an older 6r and then zip tied the throttle wide open and let it run in an enclosed room. i think they said it ran for 15 minutes or so before it melted a hole in the side of the mid-pipe and ignited the fairings, so they shut it down and said it still ran fine after it was over.

No way an engine will run 3 hrs without oil.

Oil not only lubricates, but it cools too.

Heat build up will be tremendous as the friction increases. Heat causes metal to expand.

Metal like bearings, rings etc. Tolerances go out the window, heat builds up progressively more and things come apart.

I've seen engines that run for years without an oil change, but never without oil (for long anyway).

I'm not claiming to be a great mechanic but usually I have my head screwed on enough to remember to add oil after draining it. Well, on that fateful day my head must have been stuck up somewhere I will not discuss and I proceeded to tighten the drain bolts, gas the bike up and go for a ride.

Lol someone wasnt sober

I wouldn't think you could even get the bike into gear and it would already seize. There is no way i'm believing this, hell, why even use oil? 20 min motos right? 3.3 hours, that'd be over 200 miles on the highway, lol.

Did it happen to be wrote April 1st?

ive done it before.

took the drain bolts out and was half ways draining my oil when a smoking hot blonde female that I knew walked into the shop and wanted to hang out!!! I let the oil finish draining real fast and threw the drain bolts back in and oil plugs on the footpegs and left to hang out with her.

next day at work a guy cuts himself, so they send us all home at noon. we decide to go riding at the last minute so we wanted to get loaded up very fast and go riding. somehow forgot to re-fill it with oil from the night before. I like to start my bike before I load it up so I dont drive an hour and find out my bike wont start. so I started the bike on my driveway for 30-45 seconds with NO oil in the engine!! it made a weird ticking sound and I almost rode it down the street to find out what the sound was!! lucky I didnt.

we drove an hour, got to the riding spot, unloaded, geared up, I got onto the bike to kick it and it all hit me at once... I FORGOT ENGINE OIL THIS MORNING!!!!!! packed up and went home mad!!

so I ran my 05 crf 450 without engine oil for 30-45 seconds idling and it scrapped the back of the cylinder and piston. cost me 500$. I imagine if I tried to drive it down the road it would have seized by the time I hit 3rd gear!

While it's an apples to oranges comparison, I had a '93 F150 with a 302 engine that had a piston shatter when towing my boat home. About 5 miles from the house, one of the pistons shattered, the connecting rod sliced open the oil pan, and drained the oil. I said, "Screw it, we're going for the house." and kept driving. The boat was a 21' Robolo with a cuddy cabin; trailer and all had to be close to 3000 lbs. That truck ran on 7 cylinders, with no oil, to my exit, over an overpass, to my house, backed the boat in the driveway, and I pulled it out into the street for the tow truck the next day. It never popped the radiator cap and I still am impressed to this day the way it performed.

I had a yamaha warrior that fragged its oil pump. Ran ok for quite a while and the only damage was to the cam and rockers. Took a while to do the damage. The tap tap tap was. Eventually the rocker arms siezed and stopped the motor. Piston kissed a valve but didn't bend it oddly enough.

TM 250f went around 8 miles with no oil being pumped around the engine although it had oil in the cases !!! She made around 8 miles and went solid due to big end breaking up and that also cracked the piston, other than that motor was sound

We also had a honda step through 50cc thing (cub) that we tried to blow up that ran for around 20 minutes before the flywheel came off the crank (no nut) and dissapeared at such high speed once it found traction we never found it:lol: the engine still was turning over fine and after being opened up looked as good as new!!! go figure

TM 250f went around 8 miles with no oil being pumped around the engine although it had oil in the cases !!! She made around 8 miles and went solid due to big end breaking up and that also cracked the piston, other than that motor was sound

We also had a honda step through 50cc thing (cub) that we tried to blow up that ran for around 20 minutes before the flywheel came off the crank (no nut) and dissapeared at such high speed once it found traction we never found it:lol: the engine still was turning over fine and after being opened up looked as good as new!!! go figure

those honda 50s are THE most reliable engine ever made, also it is the single most produced engine in the world, over 6 million in the cub alone, not counting the z50, xr50, and crf50