where do i go next?

ok, i just bought a 2009 yz450f a month ago. I weigh in at a slimming 235 w/o gear and i consider myself a good amatuer rider (if thats a class) I replaces the rear shock spring and front fork springs that are rated for my weight. I'm not that good of a rider to know whats good or not in the g-ruts, turns,whoops but I do know that when I initialy land a jump (big or smal) my initial impact is felt in my wrists. What suggestions would anyone have to soften the intial force of the front end. I have played with the clickers(a little) and when i go all the way soft, it makes the rest of the track too squishy. I am somewhat mechanically inclined so I can do my own work but I need guidance on what to do next. I'm currently leaning towards the dell taco design but am still doing some research. Any help would be great.

maybe reduce the oil level, experiment a bit with that, harshness comes from high oil level sometimes, at the last end of the stroke that is!

ok, i just bought a 2009 yz450f a month ago. I weigh in at a slimming 235 w/o gear and i consider myself a good amatuer rider (if thats a class) I replaces the rear shock spring and front fork springs that are rated for my weight. I'm not that good of a rider to know whats good or not in the g-ruts, turns,whoops but I do know that when I initialy land a jump (big or smal) my initial impact is felt in my wrists. What suggestions would anyone have to soften the intial force of the front end. I have played with the clickers(a little) and when i go all the way soft, it makes the rest of the track too squishy. I am somewhat mechanically inclined so I can do my own work but I need guidance on what to do next. I'm currently leaning towards the dell taco design but am still doing some research. Any help would be great.

As blake was saying oil height is a tuning option. But, reducing the height would make matters worse. It sounds like your bottoming and if you are you need to raise the level until it stops from bottoming. But if you are not bottoming and you need more plushness on the small stuff than reducing the level as blake was saying would help. You want this fork to stay up in stroke.

Reduce or add by 10 cc or ml's either way until you get the desired results.

I would say you need more compression on the fork by way of a basevalve mod. or go in the mid and add some there.

The Dell taco would definately help or cure your problems. I have it on my 06 yz and I love it.

jw:thumbsup:

put a cable tie around the fork leg and note how much travel you use when hard landing , if you not bottoming ever it will feel harsh, if its always bottoming it will feel harsh.

mog, what do you mean by- "if you not bottoming ever it will feel harsh, if its always bottoming it will feel harsh?" i think i will try the ziptie and reduce some fluid- i did put the max amount of fluid in(according to the manual) can you put more than that if need be?

probably you dont want to increase the oil level if your at max and have problems will harshness, adding more oil will increase that and danger blowing seals or damaging something!!

try the tie rap see how much travel you are using! what mog is saying i believe is that if your not using all travel then you have too much compression damping turned in or high oil level and your not using all available travel instead of damping and translates to harshness on you bars!!

if you are using all travel and bottoming frequently then you have less damping and again harshness

gotcha, thanks everyone for the info- Im going to try taking a few ml's out tomorrow and see what happens at the track on tues.