Sign in to follow this  

which transmission oil to use?

I was just wondering what transmission oil i should use in my yz 125...someone told me four-stroke 10w-40 and another said to use 80w...does it matter and is anyone better?

10w-40 is fine. I use Bel-Ray gear saver, but it doesn't matter. What ever you use, just change it often. Between 5 and 7 hrs. of ride time, depending on the type of riding you are doing. If your racing, go with every 5 hrs.

I use ATF type f. If you do a search, you will find hundreds of threads about this subject. You will also learn, very shortly, that choosing an oil for your transmission is like choosing a pre mix. It seems to be a very personal choice from one person to the next.

Sweet, I love oil threads. :ride:

I have had great luck with Yamalube 10W40 and have since been using Shell Rotella T 15w40 ( I have a Rekluse and it is recommended by them). As long as it says JASO on the bottle you are good to go.

Sweet, I love oil threads. :ride:

I have had great luck with Yamalube 10W40 and have since been using Shell Rotella T 15w40 ( I have a Rekluse and it is recommended by them). As long as it says JASO on the bottle you are good to go.

JASO-MA is approved for wet clutches. JASO-MB could mean bad news for em.

I used to only use the best stuff.

Then I only used motorcycle branded stuff.

Now I only use stuff that meets the specs, which is what's important anyway.

Shell Rotella user here as well. Doing some tear down tomorrow, I'll measure my plates and post findings monday. So far this oil has worked great for me.

The local bike shop sold me a quart of 75-90 royal purple synthetic. After getting home I was reading the label and it says "not for use in wet clutches". Can you guys shed a little light on this for me? Did the bike shop just make a mistake in refering this product to me? As always' thanks for the advice, Cman.

well if it sais 'not for use in wet clutches' dont use it, use something wet clutch approved

After reading on the Royal Purple site Max Gear lube will not work, just as the bottle says. I'll take it back to the shop and exchange it. I use Shell Rotella also in all our bikes, so thats what I'll put in this one.

I got to WalMart and buy the cheapest 10w30(for my yz250) they have which us supertech 10w30, I think it is $9 per 5qts. I don't wast money on expensive oil because I change the oil after every ride sometimes after 2 rides. All of the slamming around in the clutch and the notching of the hub and basket, all of the shit goes somewhere, I'd rather not have it wearing out my clutch. The cleaner the oil the longer your clutch will last, no matter how expensive the oil.

MAX!!!

Shell Rotella user here as well. Doing some tear down tomorrow, I'll measure my plates and post findings monday. So far this oil has worked great for me.

132 hours on the meter, approximately 150 hours since I got the bike (this clutch was in it when I purchased the bike). Used nothing but Rotella, as did the previous owner.

Yamaha specs that the friction plates should be 2.9 - 3.1 mm thick, with a service limit of 2.8 mm.

All my plates measured between 3.01 - 3.04 mm.

Drive plates were all in spec too, although only 1 was factory (the rest were Rekluse to keep the gap correct).

I got to say, I'm pretty happy with it. 56 hours ago I went through the whole bottom end, and everything looked great in the transmission.