Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Drag or Creeping - Not much oil on inner plates & discs

Background info on the bike:

It's an 04 XR400 that I bought from the original owner. He purchased, while in Cali, as a leftover in 05 and rode it for a year while he was stationed there in the military. Fast forward to 2011 and he's moved many times since then and rode it less and less each time he was moved. The bike has very low hours and even has the original tires/chain/sprockets on it. All of which are in very good condition. To make a long story short, it has done A LOT of setting in the past 5-6 years.

The Problem:

I thought I had a warped steel disc on my oem clutch, as it would drag more than normal and would want to creep a little in gear when standing still, with the clutch lever in. It felt like it wouldn't totally disengage and shifiting became harder as the bike warmed up. The first few minutes the bike is cold, everything seems fine.

I pulled the clutch out to inspect it before I blindly go ordering parts and everything looks fine with the exception of it being more dry than I think it should be. The first couple fibers/discs on the inside and outside of the stack had some oil on them, but the ones in the middle of the sandwich were pretty dry. I would even go as far as saying the little oil that was on them seemed a little "sticky" or "gummy." There was very little discoloration on the fibers with the ones in the middle showing just a little blueing from heat if you held them at an angle to a light. The steel discs all look pretty much new, with very little (if any) wear. I also checked the basket and it is not grooved at all.

I have had the fibers soaking in oil for a couple days and am getting ready to put them back in.

I guess my question is; is it possible that the clutch pack dried out from so much setting that the inside dics and fibers weren't getting oiled because they were sort of stuck together from the "gummy" oil that was on them?

I have quite a bit of experience with bikes and working on them, but I've never really encountered a clutch situation like this and was curious what others thought.

I think you're on the right track with changing the old oil, cleaning up the plates and discs and all. When you put it back together don't put more than 2 qts oil back in and make sure the oil isn't the "Energy Conserving" type.

Readjust clutch cable/pull. Go ride. After it warms up, recheck clutch lever play to be sure any play you had when cold didn't disappear.

Well, I don't think I'd be doing my part if I didn't update this thread with the results after today's ride.

Just to clarify, when I was having the clutch problems, I was running on a fresh oil change of 2 quarts of Honda GN4 10W40. When I changed the oil, I also changed the filter and cleaned the down tube screen. I did not change the oil again after soaking and replacing the clutch pack. I just laid the bike on it's side while I was working on it so as not to lose any oil. I'm not sure that was even necessary.

38d18196.jpg

After riding almost 40 miles of trails and gravel/dirt roads today, my clutch problems are gone. Like I mentioned above, I removed all of the steel discs and friction plates and soaked the friction plates in GN4 10W40 for 2 days before putting them back in. Everything seems fine now and I'm happy I don't have to shell out cash for a new clutch. It must have just dried out from setting too much.

And now, a couple pics from todays ride. Nothing fancy... It was raining so a buddy and I took a break in a shelter area of an abandoned camp ground. Mine is the red one and my buddy's is the black...both XR4's. :ride:

be39d421.jpg

e1d95469.jpg

Well, I don't think I'd be doing my part if I didn't update this thread with the results after today's ride.

Just to clarify, when I was having the clutch problems, I was running on a fresh oil change of 2 quarts of Honda GN4 10W40. When I changed the oil, I also changed the filter and cleaned the down tube screen. I did not change the oil again after soaking and replacing the clutch pack. I just laid the bike on it's side while I was working on it so as not to lose any oil. I'm not sure that was even necessary.

38d18196.jpg

After riding almost 40 miles of trails and gravel/dirt roads today, my clutch problems are gone. Like I mentioned above, I removed all of the steel discs and friction plates and soaked the friction plates in GN4 10W40 for 2 days before putting them back in. Everything seems fine now and I'm happy I don't have to shell out cash for a new clutch. It must have just dried out from setting too much.

And now, a couple pics from todays ride. Nothing fancy... It was raining so a buddy and I took a break in a shelter area of an abandoned camp ground. Mine is the red one and my buddy's is the black...both XR4's. :ride:

be39d421.jpg

e1d95469.jpg

Glad the clutch is working good, but I have to ask, I hope those ball caps weren't replacing your helmets?:lol::lol:

Glad the clutch is working good, but I have to ask, I hope those ball caps weren't replacing your helmets?:lol::lol:

I knew I was going to get called out for that, as I should. Good eye. Those are custom kevlar ball caps. :ride:

Seriously, I very, very rarely ever ride without a helmet. What started out as just cruising around the yard a little to check the clutch, turned into a 30-40 mile ride. And believe me, many times I thought "I can't believe I left without my helmet." I've gotten so used to wearing it that I kind of feel naked without it when I ride.

So anyway...If any kids out there are reading this...WEAR YOUR HELMETS!

Don't be like this guy...

funny-pictures-next-time-your-cat-will-wear-a-helmet.jpg

I knew I was going to get called out for that, as I should. Good eye. Those are custom kevlar ball caps. :ride:

Seriously, I very, very rarely ever ride without a helmet. What started out as just cruising around the yard a little to check the clutch, turned into a 30-40 mile ride. And believe me, many times I thought "I can't believe I left without my helmet." I've gotten so used to wearing it that I kind of feel naked without it when I ride.

So anyway...If any kids out there are reading this...WEAR YOUR HELMETS!

Don't be like this guy...

funny-pictures-next-time-your-cat-will-wear-a-helmet.jpg

Oh, I think we've all been in that situation a time or two. Just didn't want to see a fellow XR guy missing out on his helmet hair. :lol:

Its looks like you've got a really cool place to ride. Its getting pretty hot here in the desert, we're going to have to head north for the next few months.

Cheers,

Edited by Barnacle