Sign in to follow this  

'09 300 XC intermittent neutral

I am wondering if anyone is experiencing an intermittent neutral when downshifting from 2nd gear. I don't notice it shifting up from 1st just down from 2nd? Doesn't matter if I use the clutch or not.

Any insight would be muchly appreciated!

I am wondering if anyone is experiencing an intermittent neutral when downshifting from 2nd gear. I don't notice it shifting up from 1st just down from 2nd? Doesn't matter if I use the clutch or not.

Any insight would be muchly appreciated!

Unfortunately...fining neutral is way too easy sometimes. I have an '08 300 XCW with a Rekluse Pro installed...and I still occasionally find neutral on a downshift from 2nd! It's a PITA for sure.

I have read about a fix where you mod the cog just a tad to make neutral more difficult to find...and providing a cleaner downshift from 2nd.

I actually just started riding faster so I wouldn't need to go to 1st gear.:ride: Of course...I still do need 1st sometimes...and I try to be really conscious of engaging the gear when I down shift.

FWIW...before I installed the Rekluse, I started using full synthetic ATF...Dextron IV. That had a positive effect on clutch actuation and gear selection smoothed quite a bit. I found neutral less often...but it still happened. I really noticed the smoother action when the engine/clutch were cool/cold and/or when I needed to be busy with the clutch and gear selector on technical sections.

-Jay

Thanks Jay. It sounds like it's not so unusual ? I like your comment about riding faster...................good advise I will have to take...........lol.

...and I try to be really conscious of engaging the gear when I down shift.

-Jay

is the downshifting the most critical to not wear out the shift forks and mechanizm?